Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd guess that either your upgrade cleared during the cancellation process -- I could imagine an automated system kicking in and saying, "look at all of this new inventory!" -- or the agent decided to do you a favor. Either way, it's unlikely to matter much; if you do need to rebook again, there are reports that people with F tickets are being offered Y options on United.com anyway, and if an agent is looking at the ticket manually, it'll be pretty obvious that it was an upgrade. Of course, there's always a chance that the agent would try to preserve your upgrade in that scenario, so I guess it's "might help you down the line" after all.

You may get a pleasant surprise and some extra PQMs if it posts as P; the system might also notice during the crediting process and have it post as ZQ. And, it's remotely possible -- but not likely -- that you'll end up back down in Y during check-in. Once you get ticketed in F, you normally stay there barring further IRROPS. However, I'd make sure to save that receipt so that you can get the proper downgrade compensation, in the unlikely chance it comes up. Otherwise, enjoy your upgraded ride.
Awesome - excellent insight and advice all around. Thanks very much! ^
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by username
I had to call for a friend of mine who was flying using my miles. He was auto-reaccommodated from IAH to ORD Sunday night but ORD was messed up Monday afternoon.

The airport agent told him they would not reroute him through SFO claiming the flight was full (yet, a hour before departure, at least 30 seats on the A319 was open). So, I had to call. The call went through right away on the 1K line. The agent listened to my gripe, confirmed there was availability but we decided to not do anything - my friend was lined up at the queue at the gate trying to change.

Eventually, the airport agents moved him to an earlier ORD flight but that would have mis-connected as the delays grew. Finally, they moved him to the SFO flight.

Does rerouting require more keystrokes so agents would rather risking mis-connects than reroute?

I think if the airport agents were more helpful, then the phone agents jobs would be easier.
It is more work to turn 1 segment into 2 (or vice versa), and depending on which tool they use, it could be a bit more work or a lot more work.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
This is unprecedented

Combination of duration of closure of a major US hub weather-caused and length of travel waiver, at least IME. Interested in any other opinions.

Agree with earlier comments regarding the currently posted opening date/time being a best case, and T+1,2,3 for normal ops to resume. Until things settle down, I'd avoid IAH if you can.

For those wanting an overview of current roadway conditions in the Houston area, go here:
http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/

The current picture is attached -- like I implied, never seen anything like it.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Sariellet
Does anyone have any sense yet of when it would be reasonable to book a flight into IAH?

I'm a Houston resident who was overseas this weekend, and I used the travel waiver to book a flight for today to another location in the US where I have relatives. I want to book a flight back to Houston, and I'm nervous to wait until everything is all clear because there may not be availability then, but I'm worried that if I book too soon I may not be able to fly in or leave the airport.

Would booking a flight for labor day be reasonable? If I book it now would it still be covered by the weather waiver?
As far as I know you are covered by the travel waiver even if you book now. Who knows when flights will actually resume. I would book Sunday or Monday whatever is cheapest and then if it appears the flight will not operate (or the whole airport remains closed), you can rebook under the waiver. I agree that if you wait until operations resume the prices are likely to be high.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
My husband is supposed to fly lax-Tpa on sep 5. He can't leave until after 1230pm, and dies not want a red-eye. The only option is via Iah. What are thoughts with regard to the flight operating by then.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
My husband is supposed to fly lax-Tpa on sep 5. He can't leave until after 1230pm, and dies not want a red-eye. The only option is via Iah. What are thoughts with regard to the flight operating by then.
Sep 5 is at the end of the travel waiver, however DL has a routing through ATL leaving LAX at 13:00 and arriving into TPA at 23:56. UA should rebook him onto other airlines.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another interesting thing I observed was how open the flights were for reroutes. If this happened a week or two earlier, I think rerouting would be a lot harder.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's too soon to tell. Anything that anyone tells you, including a UA agent, is pure guesswork.

Originally Posted by N104UA
Sep 5 is at the end of the travel waiver, however DL has a routing through ATL leaving LAX at 13:00 and arriving into TPA at 23:56. UA should rebook him onto other airlines.
While one could certainly ask, UA is likely to be reluctant to rebook onto DL a week in advance. If things still look dire by the weekend, or the flight is actually cancelled, there's a better chance.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jsloan
While one could certainly ask, UA is likely to be reluctant to rebook onto DL a week in advance. If things still look dire by the weekend, or the flight is actually cancelled, there's a better chance.
While I don't disagree with you that they generally wouldn't book onto DL a week in advance, I don't think it could hurt, IAH is going to be a mess for at least a week, you may find a sympathetic agent that will rebook you into DL now.

Also for the OP- if you husband could leave at 12:10 he could connect through SFO on the nonstop to TPA which UA should be able to confirm him in today.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
With those requirements your options are severely limited, at least on UA.

Personally I would not book anything via IAH or HOU over the next 2 weeks if you absolutely positively have to be somewhere by a specific time. Why risk the anxiety and aggravation?

In the normal course the authorities will strive to open the airports ASAP but here the employees may have trouble getting there due to road closures, evacuations, etc. so service may be limited even when things open and you certainly won't want to get stuck here if there are irregular ops.

I have a conference scheduled in October but I am not booking any air travel now as I expect many of our internal events will be cancelled, postponed or relocated.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
What they "can" do and what they are actually doing aren't necessarily the same thing.

A relative of mine is at a Latin American city (not posting specifics for privacy reasons). She is scheduled to fly to Canada via IAH tomorrow. United offers once-daily service from that location to IAH, and does not offer service to any other city. The only other airline with non-stops to the US is American, with a daily flight to DFW.

With tomorrow's flight to IAH clearly not an option, at this point UA is only offering her a seat on the Thursday flight to IAH. They refused to put her on the AA flight, even though there is space available on Tue and Wed (at least, according to AA.com).

What is somewhat perplexing is that the Thursday flight that UA rebooked her onto arrives into IAH prior to the currently-scheduled re-opening of the airport. So I fear that she won't actually fly on Thursday after all.

Obviously my relative's situation is not dire compared to what some people are experiencing, but nevertheless it seems as though United is taking the cheap way out rather then getting her back home in an expeditious manner.
UPDATE:

As I suspected, her Thursday flight is now canceled. United is refusing to book her on AA. She is now scheduled to leave on Saturday. (originally ticketed for Tuesday).

The United agent said she could cancel her ticket for a refund, but buying a new ticket on AA would cost 3X as much as what she'll get back from United. And what's more, AA doesn't actually fly to her home airport in Canada. The closest she can get on AA is a 4-hour drive from her home. For three times the price. So at this point she is just going to hunker down and wait it out.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Per Floghtaware the airports are set to reopen on Thursday (IAH at noon and HOU at 8am) but not sure anyone knows what operations will be like when they do.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Quick question. My flights to and from IAH have both canceled. I was going for a meeting that may or may not be re-scheduled.

Do I have to call in to UA to cancel the flights on my end so I don't lose the credit? Can I just cancel on the website? Or do nothing since UA has already canceled the flights?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Quick question. My flights to and from IAH have both canceled. I was going for a meeting that may or may not be re-scheduled.

Do I have to call in to UA to cancel the flights on my end so I don't lose the credit? Can I just cancel on the website? Or do nothing since UA has already canceled the flights?

You have to refund your tickets. UA will rebook you (eventually) if you do not cancel your reservation and refund the ticket.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Seems UA is pulling the aircraft stuck in South America out of the continent and back to other hubs. The following flights all are scheduled to depart around the 9pm local mark tonight:

- UA2762 GRU-EWR 763
- UA2764 GIG-SFO 788
- UA2766 EZE-ORD 772
- UA2763 SCL-IAD 763

So in case you are stuck in any of these places which (except GRU) only have UA-lift to IAH normally, this may be an option to get out of the cities. Flights currently look pretty open and available for bookings

This does mean however that the South America operations will need to be restarted from IAH and not, as obviously planned until now, from the other side of the relation. Which, in turn, means that we probably will not see any flights out of SA to IAH before the 1st of September.

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.