Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Gold
I was monitoring SFO - IAH flights constantly since yesterday...for some reason those were the only flights that United absolutely did not want to cancel. 2405 at 6:00 didn't get cancelled until 5:00 and 426 at 8:03 didn't get cancelled until 6:43. 1958 at 8:49 which is a 757 also got cancelled. 4 flights remain not-cancelled, the odd one is 97 which is sandwiched between two cancelled flights.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Needless to say the conference I was planning to attend in San Antonio scheduled to start tomorrow has been cancelled.

The flight I was was scheduled on today was cancelled as well so I had no issues getting a refund.

My husband was booked on separate one-way tickets. For his flight down today (which was also cancelled) he had no issues getting a refund. His return was booked for Wednesday, outside of the waiver period. The agent tried to refund it but was having systems issues. We told her we were fine to take credit for the ticket so long as the change fees were waived and there was no destination restriction. She was ok with that, and annotated the PNR so there would be no charge when he uses the credit. (It may have helped that we are both 1K)

Glad I was able to cancel everything with no fees, but in the grand scheme of things, paying them would have been inconsequential compared to what's going on down there. Hope everyone in the region stays safe.

Last edited by Toronto1970; Aug 27, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC
From watching some local media airport may be able to operate but you can't get to most of Houston from airport because of flooded roads.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bhunt
From watching some local media airport may be able to operate but you can't get to most of Houston from airport because of flooded roads.
I'm beginning to wonder how big the impacts will be across the system in the coming weeks just by virtue of impacts to Houston-based flight crews.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, this looks bad. I have a flight to Europe via IAH next Friday ... wonder if that will happen or if I have to re-route. Hopefully better by then
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, this looks bad. I have a flight to Europe via IAH next Friday ... wonder if that will happen or if I have to re-route. Hopefully better by then
Good luck with that. This situation seems very serious and I can only wonder what the residents of South Texas are going through. Looking at a few weather sources show the storm hanging around the same area for 4 more days so I would guess IAH is going to grind to a halt soon. And then crews planes and staff are going to be displaced either away from base or at base.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:52 am

IAH closed until noon local time.

HOU is closed until Wednesday.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
​​​​​​Yeah we're coming home from the West coast via IAH next weekend. Focus should rightfully be on the locals. I'm hoping though that UA is proactive in extending the waiver if appropriate so we can make advanced changes if IAH is still in bad shape.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Gold
Basic Economy Refunds?

Does anyone have experience getting a refund for a cancelled basic Economy flight yet? The last time I tried was Friday when my flights (8/25-8/27) hasn't been cancelled yet. I couldn't get a refund back then because United didn't want to commit to cancelling flights 2 days in advance (I don't really blame them) but I didn't want to inevitably have my SO get stuck in Houston indefinitely when she has to work Monday so I had them change the departure to today and now it's been cancelled. Going to call soon, but just curious how United is handling refunds for cancelled BE tickets.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Update: IAH Closed until noon tomorrow.

Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
Update: IAH Closed until noon tomorrow.

and United REMOVED the travel waiver from their webpage. Great.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raycosm
Does anyone have experience getting a refund for a cancelled basic Economy flight yet? The last time I tried was Friday when my flights (8/25-8/27) hasn't been cancelled yet. I couldn't get a refund back then because United didn't want to commit to cancelling flights 2 days in advance (I don't really blame them) but I didn't want to inevitably have my SO get stuck in Houston indefinitely when she has to work Monday so I had them change the departure to today and now it's been cancelled. Going to call soon, but just curious how United is handling refunds for cancelled BE tickets.
same as with any other ticket. They refund back to the original FOP
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
IAH is still allowing departures, arrivals restricted to military and humanitarian per ATC.

IAH-YVR about to go.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:48 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.
Additionally TX and now Louisiana aiprports, including MCO, added to waiver -- see thread's wiki

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:10 am Reason: additional airports
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now covered through 8/31 with re-booking till 9/13
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.