Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Joe Kaiser
update to my post...both legs canceled (no shock) and I went to the airport where I am to try to re-schedule me through ORD. The young customer service person told me this was not allowed by the rules and was scared to make the change (she got on the phone to call UA and was on hold). Thankfully, an older UA employee was there and told her this is not a normal situation and to do what you need to do. She reminded the other CSR the golden rule. In the end, I got re-routed. Kudos to the older CSR with common sense. In times like this, the company has to delegate authorities down so that real time common sense decisions can be made that will alleviate issues in IAH. Otherwise, the rule followers will make things worse for everyone. That is my 2 cents...
Under normal conditions would they not allow a reroute after a WX cancellation (as long as you stay on UA metal)?

If true, that is a fairly brutal policy.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Waiver extended through September 5th. Calling in now for my flights - will report back, imagine seats are going to be tough to come by for alternate routes since it is Labor Day Weekend.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
EF Airport Delay Notifications section is saying the following
  • George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) Due to WEATHER HURRICANE HARVEY, IAH is closed. The time to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT..
  • Hobby Airport (HOU) Due to WEATHER HURRICANE HARVEY, HOU is closed. The time to reopen is Aug 30 at 08:00 AM CDT..
Actually came from FAA:

Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Just got off the call with United. Cancelled my trip for the 1st. Got full credit for the value of the ticket and good for 1 year.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Waiver extended through September 5th. Calling in now for my flights - will report back, imagine seats are going to be tough to come by for alternate routes since it is Labor Day Weekend.
So are flights going in/out of IAH? I have a flight in/out on the 1st?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
If you are connecting in IAH on 9/1, and there is an option through a different hub, I would absolutely re-route.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
We won't know for a bit, I expect. Right now, IAH is completely closed to commercial traffic until Noon on 8/31. Whether that extends or not, we won't know for a while. Once the airport does re-open, UA will need time to get equipment, crews, and ground personnel to IAH so 9/1 is probably a bit tenuous, but not impossible, as of what we know right now. Keep monitoring for updates. And if you are coming from someplace outside of IAH, I would suggest using the waiver to re-route.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
We won't know for a bit, I expect. Right now, IAH is completely closed to commercial traffic until Noon on 8/31. Whether that extends or not, we won't know for a while. Once the airport does re-open, UA will need time to get equipment, crews, and ground personnel to IAH so 9/1 is probably a bit tenuous, but not impossible, as of what we know right now. Keep monitoring for updates. And if you are coming from someplace outside of IAH, I would suggest using the waiver to re-route.
Oh gosh. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Till end of week i don't see how any commercial traffic going to fly in/out.

Right now they expecting water levels to keep rising till Thursday. People can't get to/From airport now.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you are connecting in IAH on 9/1, and there is an option through a different hub, I would absolutely re-route.
Just got off the phone I echo jsloan - CSR told me that even when they re-open they are flying a very limited schedule mainly hub to hub. Of course take that with a grain of salt coming from the CSR though she said that she would avoid IAH for the next week plus if feasible.

In terms of changing - couldn't have been smoother, wait time was about 7 minutes and then took about 10 minutes to make all the changes (we were on separate PNRs, one award + one revenue). Thankfully the UA Silver I have (thanks Marriott Platinum) means I still get a competent Premier Desk agent most of the time.

She had no problem putting me into P class even though the SMF - ORD - RDU we changed to is only selling A fares. We'll get in about 2 hours later than scheduled but at least it's taken care of now and we don't have to scramble to find 2 seats if/when flights this weekend get canceled fully.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by JHake10
EF Airport Delay Notifications section is saying the following

• George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) Due to WEATHER HURRICANE HARVEY, IAH is closed. The time to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT..
  • Hobby Airport (HOU) Due to WEATHER HURRICANE HARVEY, HOU is closed. The time to reopen is Aug 30 at 08:00 AM CDT..
As of right now there's BOS-IAH flights scheduled on 8/29. I suspect those will be canceled shortly. Those on those flights, please check status often.

It looks like those flights haven't been canceled yet because UA planned to operate them with crews from other hubs.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by bhunt
Till end of week i don't see how any commercial traffic going to fly in/out.

Right now they expecting water levels to keep rising till Thursday. People can't get to/From airport now.
Yeah, thanks. Great advice. Mistakenly called regular UA line and it was 30 min wait. Called 1k and they immediately connected me to agent who had alternative flight routed via DEN. Guessing UA is taking flights and connections and moving them to DEN ORD or similar airports.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by warreng24
As of right now there's BOS-IAH flights scheduled on 8/29. I suspect those will be canceled shortly. Those on those flights, please check status often.

It looks like those flights haven't been canceled yet because UA planned to operate them with crews from other hubs.
As of last night IAH was scheduled to re-open on the 28th at noon. I looked at the FAA Site about midnight. Obviously that changed sometime between then and now.

HOU is not scheduled to open until 8/30. But thats not a lot of help for UA Passengers.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by edcho
Actually came from FAA:

Of course, everything on EF is from somewhere else
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
They've been running 77W from ORD yesterday and today (2748 today). Looks like a revenue flight. Going pretty empty to IAH but plenty of seats full from IAH. Are these flights for relief and supplies?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.