Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:16 pm
Suspended

1K here that has a flight on 9/11-13 from MCO-MSY....I was able to get rerouted because of Harvey to avoid IAH....Now with Irma it looks like I should just hang tight and ride out the ship here in FLA.....Will the waiver allow me to reschedule with the same fare that I purchased up to the 11/16 extension?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1k, UA MM, MB Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat (ha ha), Hertz Pres, etc.
When is a Travel Waiver not a Travel Waiver?

Kudos to United for the broad Travel Waiver. Too bad they are not doing so well at informing and training agents. I've had to make several changes for affected airports. 50% are easy. Right now an agent is trying to do an add/collect of $1250 and reading me her copy of the Waiver which she says expired today.

I read her the public website, she didn't believe me and now has had me on hold for 29 minutes 51 seconds.

Maybe they're making it hard if you're trying to book a high demand flight?

Think I need to call back and get someone else?

31:25 on hold...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by AustinBear
When is a Travel Waiver not a Travel Waiver?

Kudos to United for the broad Travel Waiver. Too bad they are not doing so well at informing and training agents. I've had to make several changes for affected airports. 50% are easy. Right now an agent is trying to do an add/collect of $1250 and reading me her copy of the Waiver which she says expired today.

I read her the public website, she didn't believe me and now has had me on hold for 29 minutes 51 seconds.

Maybe they're making it hard if you're trying to book a high demand flight?

Think I need to call back and get someone else?

31:25 on hold...
That's why you keep a copy of the travel waiver with you such as a screen grab - or access the relevant waiver on FT.

Another approach is to go to https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver where all United waivers are being archived. However, note that, as of this posting, neither of the latest two waivers for Irma have yet to be posted on Jetstream but are up on the dynamic waivers page - not that those are pertinent here.

David
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Latest travel waiver posting for Harvey.

David
Attached Images  
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Latest travel waiver posting for Harvey.

David
This has been in the wiki for at least the last week
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA
This has been in the wiki for at least the last week
True - but United pulled it from its advisories page for a few hours today before reposting it there as well as on the Jetstream web page.

Given that folks may be going toe-to-toe with agents over the next few weeks, the current version is highlighted in the wiki.

David
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k, UA MM, MB Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat (ha ha), Hertz Pres, etc.
Originally Posted by DELee
That's why you keep a copy of the travel waiver with you such as a screen grab - or access the relevant waiver on FT.

Another approach is to go to https://jetstream.united.com/#/all-travel-waiver where all United waivers are being archived. However, note that, as of this posting, neither of the latest two waivers for Irma have yet to be posted on Jetstream but are up on the dynamic waivers page - not that those are pertinent here.

David
Agreed, I took a screenshot when I booked it. I offered it on the call, along with the most current version.

I just found it surprising such a well known and publicized waiver would be unknown to someone working the elite desk.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:16 pm

Well, I cancelled 2 reservations for 4 to Boston. 2 of us from IAH, 2 from IAD. Boston will be our hometown get away paradise. Then the flood hit Houston, our whole ground floor was flooded with 7 feet of water.
The hassle to line up contractors, the agony of living with no fridge, no air-on, no laundry machine. All there was a microwave machine.
Called UA Premier Desk pleaded hardship of the repairs. My travel won't be till Oct18th.
Almost a month, but there folks at UA, do they know how much needed to fix my home properly ? All the sheetrocks have to be out, replaced with new ones and new insulations. My mirrow tiles are buckling up one by one. They will be our last project.
The contractors come last, work half a day and left. Theuy might not even show up tomorrow.
What am I worrying here, works to be done and with no help for these crews. Do I want to pick up the tickets and go on a family reunion, to come home to repairs being done wrong. And UA is so ever corporation, telling me that the hurricane waiver is over.
$200 pp for cancellation. 4 of us, so $800.
To think that I flew UA 7 years exclusively to get to the 1MM status.
Show some compassions and I will remember.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:55 am

Harvey floods waivers.

The flood waivers I was hoping UA will grant to their passengers are these :
with flood damages, especially city wide in Houston, the tasks of rebuilding are taking months.
With the dire situations in Houston; after 4 weeks already, some folks still cannot line up contractors to help rebuild.
I am saying all this because I have tickets bought for the 2 of us IAH BOS. Oct 18th,to meet up with my nephew, niece and their babies, from IAD BOS.
Knowing darn well that for another 3 weeks, contractors will never deliver what they promised us : redo our floors, windows, and redo the hot water and cold water lines ( cut up ceilings, replace lead pipes to pcp/plastic lines.
I called UA 5 days ago asking if we can cancel without the penalty. The agent said NO. I asked, OK I sent email pics of all the debris stacking in front of our home, email pic of our National Flood Insurance case number, with all damages listed, paper work for my car totaled by the flood.
If she just allowed me to sent them to her work email. How much convincing it takes to ask a supervisor to grant us the $800 waiver.
Is that really to much to ask. We are 2 Plats and I am 1MM.
If you feel I am legit to ask for that waiver, please help chime it to help me escalate. So far, I got to send a request via Platinum/? Voice.
Thank you.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold
I hate to say this but this because I know this is a rough situation for you but this is what travel insurance is for. Did you by chance book with a United credit card? If so, look to that for reimbursement as it does cover finding your dwelling to be uninhabitable. Other credit cards may offer similar coverage.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:40 am

Yes I have use the United Chase card

or if not, the Chase Saffire Reserve card. Thanks for the tip. Sure worth the try.
Coskigirl likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I don't see why UA should issue a blanket travel waiver in these circumstances, nor an individual one. So I don't agree its a legit waiver. Sorry for your loss, of course.

I survived Sandy and never even thought about a waiver weeks later for aspects like you describe.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Keller281
or if not, the Chase Saffire Reserve card. Thanks for the tip. Sure worth the try.
Good luck with the claim and with rebuilding. I will be in Houston next week for business and expect seeing the damage will be sobering.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
The UA Chase credit card trip cancellation policy would cover the 2 tickets originating from IAH, since extreme weather is one of the covered events. However, it would probably not cover the two tickets originating from IAD. The tickets need to be purchased on the credit card (not just having the card). Call Chase for details.

The positive side is the insurance will reimburse the entire non-refundable ticket amount - better than a waiver.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Keller281
The flood waivers I was hoping UA will grant to their passengers are these :
with flood damages, especially city wide in Houston, the tasks of rebuilding are taking months.
With the dire situations in Houston; after 4 weeks already, some folks still cannot line up contractors to help rebuild.
I am saying all this because I have tickets bought for the 2 of us IAH BOS. Oct 18th,to meet up with my nephew, niece and their babies, from IAD BOS.
Knowing darn well that for another 3 weeks, contractors will never deliver what they promised us : redo our floors, windows, and redo the hot water and cold water lines ( cut up ceilings, replace lead pipes to pcp/plastic lines.
I called UA 5 days ago asking if we can cancel without the penalty. The agent said NO. I asked, OK I sent email pics of all the debris stacking in front of our home, email pic of our National Flood Insurance case number, with all damages listed, paper work for my car totaled by the flood.
If she just allowed me to sent them to her work email. How much convincing it takes to ask a supervisor to grant us the $800 waiver.
Is that really to much to ask. We are 2 Plats and I am 1MM.
If you feel I am legit to ask for that waiver, please help chime it to help me escalate. So far, I got to send a request via Platinum/? Voice.
Thank you.
You may want to try sending a direct message to @UNITED on twitter. Before Harvey, we had booked tickets to Corpus Christi for a large family reunion in Port A for Thanksgiving. With the hotel closed, the event ended up being moved to Galveston. I asked on twitter just to drop the CRP legs (since we'd be connecting through IAH anyway), and got a response 2 hours later that they would waive the change fees (had to pay a small fare difference, but worth it to avoid the extra travel with kids). Good luck and best wishes on the rebuilding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.