Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
After a rebooking do they give the original miles credit?
If rebooking is involuntary and is marked INVOL, yes you can request post-flying ORC. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-merged.html

Generally if you voluntarily reroute, no. But you can try to ask for INVOL marking.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:12 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
The UAX flight we had on 9/2 just got cancelled.
I just bought a 2 Sept PHL-IAH flight and an hour later in canx'd...
Best they could do was EWR-IAH about two hours later Saturday afternoon.
My Sunday flight IAH-PHL is still a go...for now.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
TSA bringing in 120 agents from Dallas because they can't get enough Houston agents to airports.
Wonder if airlines having to do the same for ramp/terminal workers?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
TSA bringing in 120 agents from Dallas because they can't get enough Houston agents to airports.
Wonder if airlines having to do the same for ramp/terminal workers?
Interesting -- if they have to bring TSA workers, ramp workers, ticketing agents, etc from out of town, then I would think you might have an issue with hotel space?

Anyone know the conditions of the area airport hotels?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:41 pm

Husband and I were in first on SNA-IAH-EWR on the return leg of a trip that leaves tomorrow. One of the flights was cancelled (I'm guessing SNA-IAH) and we were downgraded and rerouted through DEN. I called a few hours ago and had it changed to a direct flight LAX-EWR. I haven't received any emails from United confirming any changes. I have boarding passes for tomorrow's flight, but I'm concerned the flight hasn't reticketed and we could have problems tomorrow when we show up at the airport.

I'm not a road warrior - just a frequent leisure traveler - and this is the first time I've been in this situation so I'm not sure when to push the panic button. Between the Labor Day holiday and Harvey, first seats are hard to come by and only middles are left in economy and I'm afraid if I wait we may be stuck with nothing at all.

Do you think I should call in and double check on it tonight? Or tomorrow morning? Or just wait until we get to EWR tomorrow afternoon?

Last edited by whine_and_cheese; Aug 30, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reason: Corrected an error on my part
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
My XXX-IAH-YYY flight on Saturday had both segments cancelled and changed to XXX-ORD-YYY with no notice whatsoever, so after I take the flight and call in for ORC, I hope I do not get any pushback (one would *think* the computer marked my itinerary INVOL but not sure).
I don't think I'll request ORC after my change from LAX-IAH-MSY to LAX-IAD-MSY. @:-)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
So this begs an interesting question: What are the odds of becoming an IAH resident by flying an int'l hop into IAH over the weekend, needing onward UAX service? It doesn't seem that it would be in anyone's best interest to create a new class of refugees. I, for one, prefer the JW in which I currently reside to a piece of IAH floor (or perhaps just a new US destination altogether on another airline)...
UA appears to have a ramp-up plan in place that they are executing as they work back toward full service. I'm not concerned about your scenario happening, as they seem to be canceling the onward connections (where applicable) well in advance of anyone boarding a flight to IAH.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
So something weird seems to be going on with this flight now or at least with UA's systems. It has a tail number assigned now since this morning with the aircraft currently on the way to NRT, then back to DEN, and then down to IAH. The flight status page and my seat selection page both indicate aircraft 3909 which is a 788, but now my reservations says it's going to be a 739. What's this discrepancy? Everywhere except for my res says 788 and even when I click over the seat map from the reservation it says 788, but the reservation itself says 739.
Seat map is the best indicator of what ac will be flying, "739" is a glitch
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whine_and_cheese
Husband and I were in first on SNA-IAH-EWR on the return leg of a trip that leaves tomorrow. One of the flights was cancelled (I'm guessing SNA-IAH) and we were downgraded and rerouted through DEN. I called a few hours ago and had it changed to a direct flight LAX-EWR. I haven't received any emails from United confirming any changes. I have boarding passes for tomorrow's flight, but I'm concerned the flight hasn't reticketed and we could have problems tomorrow when we show up at the airport.

I'm not a road warrior - just a frequent leisure traveler - and this is the first time I've been in this situation so I'm not sure when to push the panic button. Between the Labor Day holiday and Harvey, first seats are hard to come by and only middles are left in economy and I'm afraid if I wait we may be stuck with nothing at all.

Do you think I should call in and double check on it tonight? Or tomorrow morning? Or just wait until we get to EWR tomorrow afternoon?
I find it never hurts to call in and double check for your own peace of mind.

My itinerary via IAH was canceled for Saturday earlier and I received zero notification. My guess is the system is overwhelmed or if being done manually the team might have not gotten to it. I called in to confirm everything was set and now I feel good to go.

Hopefully you were able to get F on the nonstop you had them put you on?

Edit: hopefully you have status and the phone wait isn't too bad. I called twice today and got an agent with zero wait.. hopefully things have quieted down as the mass cancellations have subsided.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
1, then a 2nd, then a 3rd flight booked then cancelled 9/3 Sunday CLE-IAH.

So I am on the 5:35 PM that day, the only scheduled direct one left on 9/3.

I need to get back to Houston, I am flooded.
I got 5' of water....

Side note, had an award ticket 9/14 same route. While I knew 9/14 out of the window to change with no penalty, I politely asked for a $50 mercy waiver (explaining my need to get back) and didn't get it.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I find it never hurts to call in and double check for your own peace of mind.

My itinerary via IAH was canceled for Saturday earlier and I received zero notification. My guess is the system is overwhelmed or if being done manually the team might have not gotten to it. I called in to confirm everything was set and now I feel good to go.

Hopefully you were able to get F on the nonstop you had them put you on?

Edit: hopefully you have status and the phone wait isn't too bad. I called twice today and got an agent with zero wait.. hopefully things have quieted down as the mass cancellations have subsided.
Called in and the agent said everything looked good on her end. She re-sent the email and while I was speaking to her, my receipt also updated to reflect the new flights. That's a relief (and bonus because I think the LAX-EWR is ps and we weren't charged a fee for the change - we are in first on the nonstop).

As a data point, I have no status (this trip will get me to silver). First call was quoted 25 minutes but given a callback option which I accepted. Callback was almost exactly 25 minutes later. Second call no callback option. Quoted 25-30 minutes. On hold for almost exactly an hour.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Data Point

SFO/IAH

Fri. 9/1
7 of 11 non-stops are cancelled

Sat. 9/2
2 of 7 non-stops are cancelled

Both stats include the red-eyes which are scheduled to depart between midnight and 0100 on the specified date.

This is a major hub-to-hub route, so possibly reflective of the challenges UA faces in resuming normal ops. IMHO, if you are connecting, avoid IAH if possible until there are clear signs of normal ops.

YMMV, but please don't whine about not being able to find F or being consigned to middle seats. I can't imagine how many UA employees based in the Houston area are impacted by this storm and flooding.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
cancellied a week in advance

I had my IAH-PHX flight on 9/6 cancelled today, a full seven days out.

Looks like all of the morning flights to PHX Tuesday and Wednesday are cancelled. I switched to a later flight that afternoon, but now I'm not at all optimistic about travel next week.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Hertz PC
How would the curfew effect travelers/employees? Would they be exempt?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by whine_and_cheese

I would do the following:
- use the website to email yourself a new copy of the receipt for your itinerary
- check that this receipt looks like what you want to fly
- if so, take the ticket number and plug it into the Saudia website
- and verify that the coupon status is good ("Open for Use" or "Airport Control")

ed. although with your call in to an agent, sounds like you're good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.