Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Is UA going to start South American flights from other hubs?
Was wondering the same as it definitely seems like they might need a plan B to keep flights going to South and Central America.

Do they have ability to shift the deep South America flights to IAD or even ORD? Seems like IAD would have the space and feed to at least keep flights going to EZE, SCL and places like Colombia and Ecuador that are cut off from the network vs. ceding to AA. While out of the way...ORD is at least central point to collect people for interim flights and they used to do ORD-EZE before the crisis down there. Maybe even some temp 777s from hubs to PTY or BOG if Copa/Avianca have capacity...hopefully a non issue if they get things up and running, but it sure seems like that a big if to just be able to get to the airport...not to mention unprecedented life stress.

Are the flights that did go out Friday night stranded in South America or did they fly them back somewhere?

Definitely a mess and separate hope that all the UA employees and FlyerTalk UA flyers in Houston/Texas are safe and doing the best they can with the horrific circumstance and that other UA folks are coping with the stress in the system.

Last edited by mike1968; Aug 29, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by S.R
Obviously no one knows what next week will look like at IAH, but I'm flying IAH-EWR-IAH out on the 8th, back on the 11th. What are the chances of this trip actually happening? Before the waiver extension to the 12th I was confident UA ops at iah would be back to normal by next Friday, but now I'm jot sure. Thoughts?
Chances are good as UA will only be dong how to hub for IAH through early next week.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Collierkr
Chances are good as UA will only be dong how to hub for IAH through early next week.
It's probably reasonable that they will predominantly be doing hub-hub, to I think to say only is (hopefully) a stretch.

For example, those of us stranded in Central/South America will not appreciate being completely abandoned, and I'm not clear that it's as easy as just shifting the traffic to other hubs. Aren't the int'l agreements that UA enters into pretty prescriptive as far as what/when/where they'll fly to and fro? (I'm legitimately asking, because I'm not certain, but I've gathered as much over the years).

By this time last night my Fri BOG->IAH flight (as well as my onward flight) had been cancelled. So far the Sat rebooking is holding, although that's a pretty minor indicator at this early juncture...

Edit: As things stand, the Sat 00:14 BOG->IAH (UA1006) is at J1, that same Sun flight is at J2, and zilch available in the back on either flight. So there's definitely pressure building within the system down here.

Last edited by CCIE_Flyer; Aug 29, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:00 pm

Data Point: Booked SEA-IAH-ATL Sep 7/8. Called in when I saw the waiver was expanded until 9/12. I had planned to grab the credit and pay cash to re-book on AS. Was offered a full refund instead.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:11 pm

The city of Houston just announced a curfew for the entire city between 22:00 and 05:00 indefinitely.

Might affect resuming operations at #IAH?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
The city of Houston just announced a curfew for the entire city between 22:00 and 05:00 indefinitely.

https://twitter.com/abc13houston/sta...77440736227330

Might affect resuming operations at #IAH?
Curfews don't generally apply to those with legitimate needs to travel during curfew hours, do they (e.g. hospital workers, presumably airport workers)?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Curfews don't generally apply to those with legitimate needs to travel during curfew hours, do they (e.g. hospital workers, presumably airport workers)?
Curfew pushed back to midnight and indeed those with legitimate need to commute for work are exempt: http://thehill.com/homenews/news/348...o-curb-looting
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Canceled flight w/ cleared GPU. Rebook on *A?

Have a UA flight canceled due to Hurricane Harvey. Was confirmed in J thanks to a GPU. Will UA rebook onto AC in J since all flights out of Buenos Aires are through IAH and that means there are no flights?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Booked for IAH-LAX on 9/1 with return on 9/5.

Was suppose to be in Kansas this week but both in bound and outbound cancelled. Hoping LAX flight stays as is since hub to hub.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by mike1968
Was wondering the same as it definitely seems like they might need a plan B to keep flights going to South and Central America.

Do they have ability to shift the deep South America flights to IAD or even ORD? Seems like IAD would have the space and feed to at least keep flights going to EZE, SCL and places like Colombia and Ecuador that are cut off from the network vs. ceding to AA. While out of the way...ORD is at least central point to collect people for interim flights and they used to do ORD-EZE before the crisis down there. Maybe even some temp 777s from hubs to PTY or BOG if Copa/Avianca have capacity...hopefully a non issue if they get things up and running, but it sure seems like that a big if to just be able to get to the airport...not to mention unprecedented life stress.

Are the flights that did go out Friday night stranded in South America or did they fly them back somewhere?

Definitely a mess and separate hope that all the UA employees and FlyerTalk UA flyers in Houston/Texas are safe and doing the best they can with the horrific circumstance and that other UA folks are coping with the stress in the system.
I would be surprised if UA does this, except maybe an extra section or two.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:48 pm

Can anyone with more experience using expert mode and such help me check on the status of UA1126 from IAH to DEN on 9/1? My reservation still looks fine and the premiere line said a few hours ago that I was still good to go but now the flight no longer shows up in any search online and it's still one day too early to actually track the status. I'm hoping it's just sold out since I haven't received any texts about a cancellation, but just want to be sure so I can re-book onto something else quickly since there's not much availability left on the route that day.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
Can anyone with more experience using expert mode and such help me check on the status of UA1126 from IAH to DEN on 9/1? My reservation still looks fine and the premiere line said a few hours ago that I was still good to go but now the flight no longer shows up in any search online and it's still one day too early to actually track the status. I'm hoping it's just sold out since I haven't received any texts about a cancellation, but just want to be sure so I can re-book onto something else quickly since there's not much availability left on the route that day.
It shows all zeroes, but I'm going to make a safe bet and say that it's going to get already cancelled, but the system hasn't been updated yet.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 7.49.29 PM.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  603.7 KB

ETA: Latest estimate for IAH to re-open is 8/31 at 17.00 LCL
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
It shows all zeroes
The zeros are just availability, no? Not sure that anything in terms of cancellation can be inferred there.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
It shows all zeroes, but I'm going to make a safe bet and say that it's going to get already cancelled, but the system hasn't been updated yet.

ETA: Latest estimate for IAH to re-open is 8/31 at 17.00 LCL
Okay, should I call now or would the premiere line only have access to this same info, and any guesses as to which DEN flight on Friday is the safest bet if not 1126?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Friend of mine is booked BOS-IAH-MTY on 8/31. BOS-IAH flight was cancelled, and auto-rebook tool put her on a BOS-IAH flight on 9/1. I see AA has space available on 8/31 through DFW, should the agent be able to rebook her? First one I spoke to got disconnected and second one reluctantly said no. New itinerary would get her there ~24hrs later than original itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.