Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
EF showed cancelled, the flight is gone from united.com and the agent confirmed it was cancelled when I called. My reservation also looked funky so I knew something was up.
Ah okay thanks. I just re-booked from IAH to DEN from Thursday to Friday but my new flight Friday morning is also still listed. Can't really avoid the waiver dates at all because I'm supposed to be in Boulder for meetings over the weekend. Good news is it's a hub to hub route with very high frequency, so even if my flight in the morning doesn't go there are still plenty more loaded into the schedule and my hope is UA doesn't have to be back at full opps on Friday to at least run some IAH-DEN flights. Agent who re-booked me also noted there is still a lot of availability on the route throughout the day.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Because of all the reroutes if you find a hub to hub flights full consider a smaller airport connection.

MCI, DSM, OMA for example connect to all the hubs. Sure it's same for most places. Will take longer but it will get you there.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
How did you learn of the cancellation? Flight status checks on the website can't be completed that far out...
As a data point, I just received two back-to-back texts informing me that my Fri flights into and out of IAH are hereby kaput.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by bhunt
Because of all the reroutes if you find a hub to hub flights full consider a smaller airport connection.

MCI, DSM, OMA for example connect to all the hubs. Sure it's same for most places. Will take longer but it will get you there.
I do know (from experience) that FAR, DSM, RAP are used a connection points when the ORD-DEN is off of the normal schedule.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, I miss GS
I live near downtown Houston and fortunately I am safe and dry; sad watching everything around here though.

I have had several flights canceled this week, both business and personal. I did get noticed that my Friday morning IAH-SNA was canceled and was easily able to rebook the afternoon flight through the website. I had to call and change my work flight; a very nice lady answered on the third ring and changed my itinerary to next week no issues. I then asked about my flights Friday; she said Thursday was only hub-hub and as they slowly got back into operation. There is still a reasonable chance the friday afternoon flight would cancel and she suggested to book IAH-LAX for the best chance; keep it between the big airports for now. Less than a 5-minute conversation overall.

Very happy with United on this call / IRROP.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA : GOLD
Last night around 11pm Eastern, got the cancellation notice for my wife's Tuesday morning flight MID->IAH->PHL that I booked with miles. I called to change, was on hold about 15 minutes and the agent told me the next flight would be Thursday.
I asked to fly out of CUN, since I checked and there was space on a few flights. She told me that routing changes were allowed .. (this is crazy).

In the end, I booked my own flight on AA out of CUN. I cancelled the United flight, received a full refund of the miles and taxes.

Still pretty crazy that last night they were telling their agents to keep the same routes through IAH.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One of my agents spent 3 hours in the queue for our executive priority agency desk, so I can't imagine what the hold times are for regular reservations and the 1k line. Was able to rebook our clients out to this weekend given their LHR flight is canceled through Thursday and the agent on the phone warned Friday may be likely too - all in all, the process was seamless, simple and quick aside from the wait time and they opened the mileage ticket inventory space to do the rebook without any prodding. Clients are happy, we are happy, so we will call this is a win.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by matthopp
I live near downtown Houston and fortunately I am safe and dry; sad watching everything around here though.

I have had several flights canceled this week, both business and personal. I did get noticed that my Friday morning IAH-SNA was canceled and was easily able to rebook the afternoon flight through the website. I had to call and change my work flight; a very nice lady answered on the third ring and changed my itinerary to next week no issues. I then asked about my flights Friday; she said Thursday was only hub-hub and as they slowly got back into operation.
I'm in Rice Village and have stayed dry and safe as well though was trapped Saturday night with my street flooded which then receded overnight on Sunday. So sorry for others who are not so fortunate. Good to know about the hub to hub coming back first; at least I have a fighting chance of making it to DEN then on Friday.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dshafiee
Flying DFW ORD in the am and the inbound shows from IAH tonight (was from IAD and here until an hour ago) . Was a ferry flight now a real flight number. United 1554. Should I switch to the earlier?
​​
It looks like it has already arrived in DFW
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Quick rebooking question follows...

9/1 flights into/out of IAH cxl. Rebooked 9/2. Original fare was Q w/ long-shot 17.5k/$125 upgrade on request (one revenue F seat left one week out). Assumed something nice was done for me w/ updated rez showing P (no mention from CSR at the time, noticed during after-the-fact seat selection). However, just got the updated receipt, and it definitely reflects the miles deduction and addcollect. So is this just one of those "might help you down the line if further rebooking is required" type of things?

No griping here whatsoever, just seeking understanding...

Thx all
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A couple of widebody ferries from ORD to IAH today, UA 2748 and UA 2752
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:33 pm

Does anyone have any sense yet of when it would be reasonable to book a flight into IAH?

I'm a Houston resident who was overseas this weekend, and I used the travel waiver to book a flight for today to another location in the US where I have relatives. I want to book a flight back to Houston, and I'm nervous to wait until everything is all clear because there may not be availability then, but I'm worried that if I book too soon I may not be able to fly in or leave the airport.

Would booking a flight for labor day be reasonable? If I book it now would it still be covered by the weather waiver?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:33 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
UA Agents

I was notified that my Wednesday morning ORD-CLE flight was cancelled due to Harvey related displacements, etc. I had to call the 1K desk twice today and went straight to an agent. Had a great (quick) conversation with both of them. They're all working mandatory four hour of OT each day until at least Thursday. They're tired and stressed out as well. I would suggest we all have some empathy and understanding for them as well. (Not that it seemed like anyone wasn't already, but just something that struck me today).
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Quick rebooking question follows...

9/1 flights into/out of IAH cxl. Rebooked 9/2. Original fare was Q w/ long-shot 17.5k/$125 upgrade on request (one revenue F seat left one week out). Assumed something nice was done for me w/ updated rez showing P (no mention from CSR at the time, noticed during after-the-fact seat selection). However, just got the updated receipt, and it definitely reflects the miles deduction and addcollect. So is this just one of those "might help you down the line if further rebooking is required" type of things?

No griping here whatsoever, just seeking understanding...

Thx all
I'd guess that either your upgrade cleared during the cancellation process -- I could imagine an automated system kicking in and saying, "look at all of this new inventory!" -- or the agent decided to do you a favor. Either way, it's unlikely to matter much; if you do need to rebook again, there are reports that people with F tickets are being offered Y options on United.com anyway, and if an agent is looking at the ticket manually, it'll be pretty obvious that it was an upgrade. Of course, there's always a chance that the agent would try to preserve your upgrade in that scenario, so I guess it's "might help you down the line" after all.

You may get a pleasant surprise and some extra PQMs if it posts as P; the system might also notice during the crediting process and have it post as ZQ. And, it's remotely possible -- but not likely -- that you'll end up back down in Y during check-in. Once you get ticketed in F, you normally stay there barring further IRROPS. However, I'd make sure to save that receipt so that you can get the proper downgrade compensation, in the unlikely chance it comes up. Otherwise, enjoy your upgraded ride.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to call for a friend of mine who was flying using my miles. He was auto-reaccommodated from IAH to ORD Sunday night but ORD was messed up Monday afternoon.

The airport agent told him they would not reroute him through SFO claiming the flight was full (yet, a hour before departure, at least 30 seats on the A319 was open). So, I had to call. The call went through right away on the 1K line. The agent listened to my gripe, confirmed there was availability but we decided to not do anything - my friend was lined up at the queue at the gate trying to change.

Eventually, the airport agents moved him to an earlier ORD flight but that would have mis-connected as the delays grew. Finally, they moved him to the SFO flight.

Does rerouting require more keystrokes so agents would rather risking mis-connects than reroute?

I think if the airport agents were more helpful, then the phone agents jobs would be easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.