Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
now covered through 8/31 with re-booking till 9/13
And more importantly, it looks like they are now allowing the full credit to used towards any travel after that date. Seems extremely reasonable under the circumstances.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Waiver has now been extended to 08/31, same day I'm supposed to be on UA 1126 to DEN. With the high frequency of flights on this route and my original flight being in the morning, do folks think I should re-book to 9/1 or should I still be alright with so many protection options throughout the day?
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
UA2752 IAH-BOS just departed.

UA1897 IAH-LAX about to depart.

Shockingly, both IAH departures pushed half-emtpy. Maybe UA did a good job at making sure no one would be in a position to be stranded?

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Aug 27, 2017 at 11:36 am
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Airport itself not the issue. Travelers/workers can't get to/From airport
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:18 pm

Main runway at HOU. WN might be writing off those 15 stranded 737s at this rate...
jacobguo and Kiara like this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:24 pm

Both Houston airports have been closed by the FAA. All flights are suspended.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
Main runway at HOU. WN might be writing off those 15 stranded 737s at this rate...

Ouch, in another thread I read where DL left an aircraft there.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is there any flooding at IAH? (not from the area and rarely fly through there, so just curious...)
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Ouch, in another thread I read where DL left an aircraft there.
Not at HOU. None RON yesterday, and none flew in today. They might have one at IAH.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:16 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is there any flooding at IAH? (not from the area and rarely fly through there, so just curious...)
http://www.earthcam.net/projects/hou...livestream.php

If thats live it doesn't look likes theres any flooding where this camera is facing.
I've heard that IAH doesn't have much of a flooding issue, unlike HOU.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by S.R

If thats live it doesn't look likes theres any flooding where this camera is facing.
On a relative measure, it looks like the northside is holding out better than the southside, but that's only relative. HOU and environs are, AFAIK, a bit lower than IAH and environs. The HOU area has also experiences some of the highest rain totals so far.

I don't mean to imply that things in the IAH are are great by any means though.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
This appears to be just south/southwest of the IAH grounds

Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:23 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by S.R

Access roads are flooded.

Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by djohannw
Seems UA hopes that the worst of Harvey has passed by lunchtime today and the ops in IAH will be possible by then at least for arriving aircraft.
Weather forecasts don't foresee a break in the rain until Friday (9/1), and flood waters often crest after the rain stops. Today isn't even halfway into the week-long storm -- it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

If you have any flight plans through IAH this week, you should proactively reschedule.

My sympathies for all those who are affected.

Last edited by paytonc; Aug 27, 2017 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Any guesses here on whether SFO-IAH-GUA is going to happen this Saturday (9/2)? I'm thinking of booking an alternative for my wife for this one-way to Guatemala. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.