Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Update: 06 Sept 2017 - Latest waiver posting

Previous waivers:

Update: 30 Aug 2017
Hurricane Harvey continues to affect flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

United flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast continue to be affected by Hurricane Harvey. There are now a limited number of flights operating between Houston and other major U.S. airports, but many flights to and from Houston continue to be canceled.

Please check your flight status before you go to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes. Also note that road conditions around the airport continue to be poor, so travelers should carefully plan their travel to and from the airport.

If you have an upcoming United flight that includes travel through Houston, we recommend postponing your travel until conditions improve. The Houston area is extremely taxed and may not have the resources to offer hotel and restaurant services to Houston visitors.

Travelers with booked flights to, from or through the Texas and Gulf Coast area can use our travel waiver to change their flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls due to the severity of the situation, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
Update (08/29/17 15:50 CDT):
Booking waiver now extended through 12 September and changes covered through November 15th

FAA Advisory for IAH

Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 28 at 09:38 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 30 at 04:00 PM CDT.
Hurricane Harvey is affecting flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until at least noon on Thursday, August 31, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app.
AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION
provided by the FAA's Air Traffic Control System Command Center
George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) Real-time Status
Due to WEATHER/ HURRICANE HARVEY, the George Bush Intercontinental/Houston Airport (IAH) was closed as of Aug 27 at 10:24 AM CDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Aug 31 at 12:00 PM CDT.
Update (08/28/17 11:15 am EDT): Waiver extended through 05 September and rebooking and changes now covered through 20 September

Update 6PM (Central Time) 27 Aug 2017
IAH closure extend to 7PM 28 August

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until 7 p.m. on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Update (08/27/17 12:45 pm EDT): Waiver extended through 31 August and rebooking and changes now covered through 13 September

Posted 27 August 2017 morning

Due to Hurricane Harvey, United flights to and from Houston Intercontinental are canceled until noon on Monday, August 28, and additional flights to and from Texas and the Gulf Coast may be affected. If you have planned travel, please see our travel waiver below to change your flight. Please note that we are experiencing a high volume of calls, so we recommend using united.com or the United app if possible.

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) 26 Aug 2017 = rebooking extend to 11 Sept

Updated UA travel waiver for Harvey ( including IAH) as of noon (Central Time) 25 Aug 2017

UA travel waiver (including IAH) for Harvey as 3PM (Central Time) 24 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: Gulf Coast Tropical Weather (25 Aug - 12 Sept, 2017) - Affects IAH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
UPDATE:

As I suspected, her Thursday flight is now canceled. United is refusing to book her on AA. She is now scheduled to leave on Saturday. (originally ticketed for Tuesday).

The United agent said she could cancel her ticket for a refund, but buying a new ticket on AA would cost 3X as much as what she'll get back from United. And what's more, AA doesn't actually fly to her home airport in Canada. The closest she can get on AA is a 4-hour drive from her home. For three times the price. So at this point she is just going to hunker down and wait it out.
All US airlines will be pricey do to the IROP'd pax grabbing all available seats.

Did you try looking for a regional flight to some city that Air Canada flies out of?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, UA Silver
Waiver Extended to Sep 12

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Booking waiver now though September 12 and covers rebooking a through November 15th.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by N104UA
Booking waiver now though September 12 and covers rebooking a through November 15th.
Wow, a very long timeframe that suggests UA expects impacts to last months, not weeks. Cannot help but wonder how that will affect quarterly results.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
As far as I know you are covered by the travel waiver even if you book now. Who knows when flights will actually resume. I would book Sunday or Monday whatever is cheapest and then if it appears the flight will not operate (or the whole airport remains closed), you can rebook under the waiver. I agree that if you wait until operations resume the prices are likely to be high.
I ended up booking a flight for Tuesday night as it was considerably cheaper than Sunday or Monday. This is later than I wanted it since my son (who is with me) is still officially supposed to have school on Tuesday, but I'm guessing that will be pushed off.

I have no idea if I will actually be able to take the flight, of course.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by lotemblizej
Wow, a very long timeframe that suggests UA expects impacts to last months, not weeks. Cannot help but wonder how that will affect quarterly results.
Anyone who is covered by the new extended travel waiver please rebook asap. I rebooked 24 hours ago for travel on Sept 1 & 5.

Now it is simply impossible to go to my destination with UA.
channa likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Do we need to merge this thread into the hub closure speculation thread?

Is UA going to start South American flights from other hubs?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by N104UA
Any possibility that this was a misstype and it was actually 9/15 or 10/15?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:56 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Obviously no one knows what next week will look like at IAH, but I'm flying IAH-EWR-IAH out on the 8th, back on the 11th. What are the chances of this trip actually happening? Before the waiver extension to the 12th I was confident UA ops at iah would be back to normal by next Friday, but now I'm jot sure. Thoughts?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Kinda scary. Seen on TV some geologist (or whatever kind of scientist) said that parts of Houston will not drain out naturally. Will take weeks if not months to pump low areas including several major roads.

Airports may be able to operate soon but how long before Houston infrastructure back to normal to get people to/From airports?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Doesn't look like it. The waiver says November 15th twice.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
When I originally wrote it I mistyped it for Sep but it is Nov 15 (unfortunately they won't let you reschedule over Thanksgiving)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Going to be ugly no matter what:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...it-265-million
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
UA is a monopoly at IAH ( effectively) . They take all the reward$$$s, and can also eat all the risks.

I persoanlly have no sympathy to UACO holdings. They will do just fine.

The pax though.....its unfortunate.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Obviously no one knows what next week will look like at IAH, but I'm flying IAH-EWR-IAH out on the 8th, back on the 11th. What are the chances of this trip actually happening? Before the waiver extension to the 12th I was confident UA ops at iah would be back to normal by next Friday, but now I'm jot sure. Thoughts?
No way to know for sure, but you are on a hub to hub route so likely you won't have as many problems or will be easily protected on other flights. The hub to hub routes will be coming back first this Thursday/Friday as they slowly resume normal opps. By 9/8 you should be alright. I'm really risking it and flying IAH-DEN-IAH this Friday 9/1 and back on 9/4. My original outbound was on 8/31 in the morning so was cancelled. Could have tried for a re-book in the afternoon on Thursday but pushed back to Friday to give a little more time for opps recovery. Latest from the Premiere line tonight is they believe I will be fine this Friday to DEN, so again no way to be sure but going to EWR on 9/8 you should be alright.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.