Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly talk
Basically I'm trying to figure out if we can still get upgraded on an international flight from NYC to Tokyo without using PlusPoints?
Sure, you can use miles and co-pay. Or purchase an upgrade.

But you won't get one for free on a Polaris route.
SPN Lifer and fly talk like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:50 pm

Thank you all for the helpful answers!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fly talk
...Because I'm understanding that upgrades work in this order:
  • Global Services requests (not me)
  • PlusPoints and mileage upgrade awards (not used)
  • Elite status (Platinum)
  • Fare class. More expensive fare classes clear first (Q or V fare class)
  • Etc.....
No, your sequence does not reflect how upgrades work at all. On the route you want, you'll have to use miles to request an upgrade and your place on the upgrade list will be determined by your cabin, status, and then by fare class w/i that cabin. Moving from economy to Polaris would generally be difficult for a Plat. Requesting an upgrade from a PremiumPlus fare (O,A, or R) would put you ahead of anyone with less than GS status in coach. Still, a Plat upgrade isn't a cinch from there, either, nowadays.

...or buy up if UA offers a price that's not obnoxious to you....
fly talk likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying ORD-CDG tomorrow, using miles and was able to book Economy Plus seating. However, I chatted with United agents a couple times and they told me that complimentary upgrades are available on business class only and not international flights. If that is true, what happens with all the unsold Polaris seats. The flight status shows 7 available right now.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Putnik
I'm flying ORD-CDG tomorrow, using miles and was able to book Economy Plus seating. However, I chatted with United agents a couple times and they told me that complimentary upgrades are available on business class only and not international flights. If that is true, what happens with all the unsold Polaris seats. The flight status shows 7 available right now.
Nothing. They will go out empty if unsold or there are no more people on the upgrade list. Go have a look at the upgrade list for your flight, there are likely mor than 7 people for the front of the plane.

Complementary upgrades are only available for premier members on domestic routes and shorthaul international (except for premium transcon flights), and only if seats see available. Usually those are considered upgrades to (domestic) first class.

Longhaul international flights generally require the use of certificate (PlusPoints) or miles for upgrade.

United also offers (cash) paid upgrade options on all routes, open to everyone.

Last edited by Repooc17; Aug 4, 2023 at 7:29 pm
Old Aug 4, 2023, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Probably will go out full w/ DoD buy-ups, plus the 3 rev pax and 2 non-revs on waitlist.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
CPU on international routes as Premier Gold?

Im Premier Gold, flying LAX-IAH-EZE (in Premier Plus for first time)

LAX-IAH system indicates CPU Eligible
IAH-EZE system not indicating any eligibility

Aren't i eligible for a one class upgrade as Gold?

If I'm in Economy, wouldn't the system put me on wait list for Premier Plus (or Polaris?)

Why wouldn't I be on list for Polaris?

Finally, there is an offer to upgrade using points and $

If the domestic LAX-IAH clears but i don't get Polaris, do they give any partial credit?
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole

If I'm in Economy, wouldn't the system put me on wait list for Premier Plus (or Polaris?)

If the domestic LAX-IAH clears but i don't get Polaris, do they give any partial credit?
CPU is not available for long haul international flights.

In order to be on the (wait)list, you would have to use instrument (PlusPoints or miles) if positive upgrade is 0. You can also buy up with $.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Yeah long story short... no complimentary upgrades available to any status for that matter on Polaris marketed flights. Only first class and business class marketed flights (except for Hawaii I think) offer CPUs.

As the post above said, your only chances of an upgrade are either paid (can be cheaper during check in), or the use of PlusPoints, which are United's upgrade instruments, but not given to golds.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Nope. No CPUs on that leg no matter what status. Even GS has to support the upgrade with miles, cash, or PlusPoints.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA1K

You'll get a refund for the entire upgrade if the Polaris segment doesn't clear. It doesn't always happen automatically, so sometimes you have to call in to get it refunded
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:38 am

upgrade on EWR-TLV

I am booked in E+ on a UA flight from EWR-TLV. My status is Gold. How might I go about seeking an upgrade to premium economy or business class? Of course, I would be happy to receive such an upgrade for free, though I am assuming that this would only be available -- if at all -- to higher status members. But maybe I could use miles or payment for such an upgrade? I am just not certain how that works. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Chamor
I am booked in E+ on a UA flight from EWR-TLV. My status is Gold. How might I go about seeking an upgrade to premium economy or business class? Of course, I would be happy to receive such an upgrade for free, though I am assuming that this would only be available -- if at all -- to higher status members. But maybe I could use miles or payment for such an upgrade? I am just not certain how that works. Thanks for any advice.
Even we at the highest status tier don't get free upgrades on international routes. They must be supported by cash, PlusPoints, or miles. For the latter two, you can read all about it here. Looking at your reservation on united.com will show you the cash upgrade price, should that be attractive to you. You may get a more favorable offer upon check-in, if seats are available -- but no guarantees. As a Gold member, you can upgrade with PlusPoints only if gifted to you by a Platinum, 1K, or GS member who has access to them.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 12:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Chamor
...But maybe I could use miles or payment for such an upgrade? ... .
Yes, see Using Miles to Upgrade on United

But honestly your chance of an mileage upgrade clearing is very poor on EWR-TLV (for a Gold)
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight
Purchasing PremPlus vs Economy will improve your chance for Polaris but you are still likely to remaining in PremPlus which is much better than economy.

Another option is cash upgrades, these will vary in price but if taken confirm immediately and status does not matter
UA Upsell Offers to Business/First/PP at Purchase to Day of Departure (TOD)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.