Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold, Alaska 75K, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
Originally Posted by bjdj94
Couple problems. First, the only segment in your itinerary that United offers complimentary upgrades is HNL -> SFO. Second, Premier Silver is low upgrade priority. Combine that with current travel demand, and your odds on HNL -> SFO are extremely low.

You could look into MileagePlus Upward (miles plus copay). You’d probably end up waitlisted right now, but you might have a chance that way.
It seems that's not correct. They automatically put in a request for the NRT -> GUM leg. I figured it is unlikely they offer comps on SFO --> NRT, but I figured the other legs would. Not even GUM --> HNL?
Old Mar 24, 2022, 12:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SFO-NRT, GUM-HNL are not CPUable
NRT-GUM and HNL-SFO are CPUable

For CPU, I would guess NRT-GUM is easier than HNL-SFO --- but day of the week matters. Weekends are harder then weekdays
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dgtsf
I have to admit, I'm not a fan of United. They were my primary career until about 7 years ago. Then I gave up on them and finally switched out to a combination of Delta and Alaska for my travel (about 150k/year split between the two). However, I work for the federal government now, so I fly the carrier they tell me to fly. I usually can find some wiggle room, but I'm heading to Guam soon, which has no gov contracts from the states other than United. So as of right now, I don't have anything but lowly Silver on United, which if I recall correctly I'm getting free via my lifetime Marriott Titanium. Or maybe it was Hertz President's Circle. I don't know, doesn't matter. I didn't earn any status on United with my butt in a seat on its planes.

Routing is SFO --> NRT --> GUM on the outbound. Return is GUM --> HNL --> SFO.

I fly out on a Friday and return on a Sunday.

My fares are government-contract Y class in economy. I'm military traveling on official orders. I have already paid $341 out of pocket for Economy Plus seats. The pricing for Premium Economy and higher is a non-starter -- it's around $3,330 on the way out and $1,600 on the way back.

Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a complimentary upgrade? It's a long, long way to Guam. I'd love to be in Premium Economy, but I'm betting Silver won't get me anything, especially out of San Francisco. I'm willing to change my outbound routing to go through HNL instead of NRT if it might increase my odds. But that seems unlikely too.

EDIT: I have nothing left in my United mileage account except 41k miles. So not enough miles to secure anything with, and even if I got a card, the miles won't post soon enough to be useful.

Just curious for thoughts from anyone who still travels on United regularly. I'm probably not going to have a choice but to fly United a lot more going forward.
You can select an E+ seat at check-in if there are seats available. I would gamble on that, instead of paying it from my own pocket. For NRT-GUM and HNL-SFO, you can get instant upgrade for YCA fare if PZ space is available when the ticket is issued (typically, 9 day before travel begins).
Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
SFO-NRT, GUM-HNL are not CPUable
NRT-GUM and HNL-SFO are CPUable

For CPU, I would guess NRT-GUM is easier than HNL-SFO --- but day of the week matters. Weekends are harder then weekdays
HNL -> GUM is specifically listed as no complimentary upgrades, but is that also true for the opposite direction?

Edit: Yes, it's also true in the opposite direction. Using "to" instead of "between" seems like poor wording.

Last edited by bjdj94; Mar 24, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of United. They were my primary career until about 7 years ago. Then I gave up on them and finally switched out to a combination of Delta and Alaska for my travel (about 150k/year split between the two). However, I work for the federal government now, so I fly the carrier they tell me to fly. I usually can find some wiggle room, but I'm heading to Guam soon, which has no gov contracts from the states other than United. So as of right now, I don't have anything but lowly Silver on United, which if I recall correctly I'm getting free via my lifetime Marriott Titanium. Or maybe it was Hertz President's Circle. I don't know, doesn't matter. I didn't earn any status on United with my butt in a seat on its planes.

Routing is SFO --> NRT --> GUM on the outbound. Return is GUM --> HNL --> SFO.

I fly out on a Friday and return on a Sunday.

My fares are government-contract Y class in economy. I'm military traveling on official orders. I have already paid $341 out of pocket for Economy Plus seats. The pricing for Premium Economy and higher is a non-starter -- it's around $3,330 on the way out and $1,600 on the way back.

Do I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a complimentary upgrade? It's a long, long way to Guam. I'd love to be in Premium Economy, but I'm betting Silver won't get me anything, especially out of San Francisco. I'm willing to change my outbound routing to go through HNL instead of NRT if it might increase my odds. But that seems unlikely too.

EDIT: I have nothing left in my United mileage account except 41k miles. So not enough miles to secure anything with, and even if I got a card, the miles won't post soon enough to be useful.

Just curious for thoughts from anyone who still travels on United regularly. I'm probably not going to have a choice but to fly United a lot more going forward.
Isn't 30k miles adequate to upgrade SFO-NRT? And no copay on a Y fare. Looks not too hard to clear also, and you'll get your E+ fee back for the flight.

Look for buy-up offers to PE or J when you check in. No guarantee, but they may be much better than what you see now. And if you offset by the E+ cost, maybe palatable.

Originally Posted by bjdj94
HNL -> GUM is specifically listed as no complimentary upgrades, but is that also true for the opposite direction?
No CPU either direction.

I'm not aware of any unidirectional CPU routes.
SPN Lifer and dgtsf like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Right, however currently NRT-GUM is down to 1x 737 daily from 3x or 4x including 1-2x 777, so the plane is almost completely full everyday.
I flew NRT-GUM on SAT and back on SUN early this month, both flight were sold out, one cpu cleared on GUM-NRT.
SPN Lifer and dgtsf like this.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold, Alaska 75K, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them
Originally Posted by fumje
Isn't 30k miles adequate to upgrade SFO-NRT? And no copay on a Y fare. Looks not too hard to clear also, and you'll get your E+ fee back for the flight.

Look for buy-up offers to PE or J when you check in. No guarantee, but they may be much better than what you see now. And if you offset by the E+ cost, maybe palatable.

No CPU either direction.

I'm not aware of any unidirectional CPU routes.

Does United treat all Y fares equally? GSA/government/military contract Y fares are often half or less the cost of commercial. Some airlines treat discounted Y on a lower priority.

I didn't think 30K miles would be enough, but I'm trying to figure out where on united's site right now it would let me upgrade with miles, so I can double checj. Not seeing an option right now.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Does United treat all Y fares equally? GSA/government/military contract Y fares are often half or less the cost of commercial. Some airlines treat discounted Y on a lower priority.

I didn't think 30K miles would be enough, but I'm trying to figure out where on united's site right now it would let me upgrade with miles, so I can double checj. Not seeing an option right now.
See https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards
SFO-NRT Y fare upgrade to Polaris, 20K miles, no copay

To upgrade, go to your itin and select the Upgrade option, and then select with Miles
dgtsf likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Did United or any other airline ever offered comp international upgrade?

Did United or any other airline ever offered comp international upgrade? I mainly use United for international travel, so is it worth it to get at least gold status?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by askyamaz
Did United or any other airline ever offered comp international upgrade? ...
Generally no.
UA offers Complimentary Premier Upgrades for most flights in USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Northern South America, Caribbean, ....
But long haul international -- TATL, TPAC, intercontinental, .... require supported upgrades: miles+copay or PlusPoints

There is the rare case where economy is oversold and the upgrade waitlist is shorter than the open premier cabin seats, airline will do operational upgrades (Op-ups) and status can help. This are very rare.

I mainly use United for international travel, so is it worth it to get at least gold status?
For upgrades no, but UA Gold provides lounge access for international trips.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Generally no.
UA offers Complimentary Premier Upgrades for most flights in USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, Northern South America, Caribbean, ....
But long haul international -- TATL, TPAC, intercontinental, .... require supported upgrades: miles+copay or PlusPoints

There is the rare case where economy is oversold and the upgrade waitlist is shorter than the open premier cabin seats, airline will do operational upgrades (Op-ups) and status can help. This are very rare.

For upgrades no, but UA Gold provides lounge access for international trips.
does this mean there’s 46 people trying to use plus points to upgrade on this international long haul

Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
does this mean there’s 46 people trying to use plus points to upgrade on this international long haul

No. It means 46 of the 48 seats are taken.

The waitlist itself should appear in the next section.
SPN Lifer and tstauck like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:30 pm

International Upgrades without PlusPoints

Hi, I'm a new United Platinum Member and trying to understand how international flight upgrades work.

Let's say I want to buy a non-stop ticket from NYC to Tokyo, Japan and the flight has these availabilities:
  • 20 of 50 Business/First class seats purchased (30 Business/First seats available)
  • 10 of 30 Premium Plus seats purchased (20 Premium Plus seats available)
  • 10 of 40 Eco Plus (30 Eco Plus seats available)
If I buy tickets for myself + 1 in fare class Q or V and DO NOT use any PlusPoints, do we have a chance at getting upgraded to business/first based on my elite status, the ticket's fare class, and all that free space up front? Because I'm understanding that upgrades work in this order:
  • Global Services requests (not me)
  • PlusPoints and mileage upgrade awards (not used)
  • Elite status (Platinum)
  • Fare class. More expensive fare classes clear first (Q or V fare class)
  • Etc.
Basically I'm trying to figure out if we can still get upgraded on an international flight from NYC to Tokyo without using PlusPoints?

Or is there a general rule that you need to use PlusPoints to get upgraded simply because it's a long international flight? And United will just leave all those seats vacant?

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly talk
Or is there a general rule that you need to use PlusPoints to get upgraded simply because it's a long international flight? And United will just leave all those seats vacant?
UA will leave the seats vacant. Barring the very rare operational upgrade, when they sell out Y without selling out J, there are no complimentary upgrades on transoceanic flights. If there were, Platinum probably wouldn’t be high enough to have a very good chance at them anyway.

Sorry.
SPN Lifer and fly talk like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fly talk
Hi, I'm a new United Platinum Member and trying to understand how international flight upgrades work.

Let's say I want to buy a non-stop ticket from NYC to Tokyo, Japan and the flight has these availabilities:
  • 20 of 50 Business/First class seats purchased (30 Business/First seats available)
  • 10 of 30 Premium Plus seats purchased (20 Premium Plus seats available)
  • 10 of 40 Eco Plus (30 Eco Plus seats available)
If I buy tickets for myself + 1 in fare class Q or V and DO NOT use any PlusPoints, do we have a chance at getting upgraded to business/first based on my elite status, the ticket's fare class, and all that free space up front? Because I'm understanding that upgrades work in this order:
  • Global Services requests (not me)
  • PlusPoints and mileage upgrade awards (not used)
  • Elite status (Platinum)
  • Fare class. More expensive fare classes clear first (Q or V fare class)
  • Etc.
Basically I'm trying to figure out if we can still get upgraded on an international flight from NYC to Tokyo without using PlusPoints?

Thanks
No, there are no complimentary upgrades at all on long-haul international routes. You have to use some kind of instrument (miles or PlusPoints) or pay money. Even if there are empty seats, you would not appear on the upgrade list and the flight would go out with empty seats up front rather than a "free" (instrumentless) upgrade. The only extremely rare exception would be if economy (or premium economy) is oversold and they have to do operational upgrades at the gate, but that would be highly unusual.
jsloan and fly talk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.