Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: DL Plat
Have they started doing CPUs on Polaris routes? Just looking at UA15 LHR-EWR and UA919 LHR-IAD today and tomorrow, and they both have an unusually high number of people on the list compared to recent days and weeks...
Old Oct 1, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
No CPUs

Originally Posted by Continited
Have they started doing CPUs on Polaris routes? Just looking at UA15 LHR-EWR and UA919 LHR-IAD today and tomorrow, and they both have an unusually high number of people on the list compared to recent days and weeks...
Those people on the upgrade list of Polaris routes requested upgrades with miles (+copay) or Pluspoints, not CPU.
For my EWR-LAX flight on Friday, there are 17 seats available with 4 people on upgrade list. United is in no hurry to clear my upgrade (with Plus Points).
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Those people on the upgrade list of Polaris routes requested upgrades with miles (+copay) or Pluspoints, not CPU.
For my EWR-LAX flight on Friday, there are 17 seats available with 4 people on upgrade list. United is in no hurry to clear my upgrade (with Plus Points).
I only ask because it’s quite unusual... I watch these flights because I’ve been taking them, and I’ve never seen upgrade lists this long anytime recently... or any upgrade lists at all except for the usual NRSAs. I guess more people are traveling this week.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: united
I'm in the same boat. HNL-SFO tomorrow booked to 12/28 with only 11 people on the list (I'm second), but my points upgrade won't clear. SFO-EWR either for Saturday, but that one's booked to 29/44 already so maybe more understandable (I'm hopeful at #10 ).
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by moocowalex
I'm in the same boat. HNL-SFO tomorrow booked to 12/28 with only 11 people on the list (I'm second), but my points upgrade won't clear. SFO-EWR either for Saturday, but that one's booked to 29/44 already so maybe more understandable (I'm hopeful at #10 ).
Checked in and now T-20 h. The upgrade is still not cleared. I am No. 1 on upgrade list with 12 seats available.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Checked in and now T-20 h. The upgrade is still not cleared. I am No. 1 on upgrade list with 12 seats available.
The upgrade cleared hopefully?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:28 am

PVG - SFO (CPU..Any chance)

I am flying PVG - SFO (UA858) this week and looking at the last 4-5 flights, I noticed Business class is at most 20% full, Premium Economy less than 10% full. Economy seems less than 15% full.
Did anyone get lucky to get any sort of CPU on this route?

P.S. I am at Plat. level (thanks to the super expensive SFO - PVG last year).
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: CX Gold
What a wish! However, CPU is for select flights within North America only
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
What a wish! However, CPU is for select flights within North America only
Hahaha. Without wishing it might not happen
Old Jan 7, 2021, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by x123kr
I am flying PVG - SFO (UA858) this week and looking at the last 4-5 flights, I noticed Business class is at most 20% full, Premium Economy less than 10% full. Economy seems less than 15% full.
Did anyone get lucky to get any sort of CPU on this route?

You’ll get four across in economy. Certainly MUCH better than premium economy and arguably better than Polaris if you just wanna sleep.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
This statement is conclusive enough to say you are a nobody based on UA's perspective.

So the chance of free upgrade? Smaller than 0.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2021 at 11:35 am Reason: Off topic content removed
Old Jan 7, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Chance of CPU 0% with 100% certainty.
See: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l#region-chart
Chance of PlusPoints upgrade clearing >>0%
Chance of Op-Up ~0%
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 7:28 am

Hahaha. Without wishing it might not happen
The airlines business is tough now. United should grant your wish😄
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you're a Plat, you probably have the miles to use on what seems to be a likely easy upgrade.
SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
You’ll get four across in economy. Certainly MUCH better than premium economy and arguably better than Polaris if you just wanna sleep.
In December of 2019, that long ago, I took my first Business Class flight from LAX to PVG. We left around 1300 and it was pretty amazing. The seat was comfy, and I loved being fed like in a restaurant. The FA even folded a napkin across my lap. after flying 9 hours or so, it was about 10pm my time, so I put in ear plugs and slept the rest of the flight. I got maybe 4 hours of snooze time, and it was a pretty light doze. 10/10 would do it again if I can afford it.

The return trip was PVG-SFO in coach. There were less than 100 people on this flight in coach. We left at 2300 Shanghai time. I grabbed a middle set of 4 and as soon as we were wheels up I stretched out across all 4, with about 10 pillows scavenged from the other empty rows. I slept like a baby. I was out. I would have slept through a rapid decent. I woke up once to use the restroom and crashed back out. Finally I woke up enough and forced myself to look at what time it was. I had been asleep for 9 hours and I could have kept going. I forced myself up, moved to the back row with 2 seats, and grabbed some coffee and woke up so I could function in SF.

Best sleep in an airplane I ever had. It was amazing. 10/10, would recommend hobo first class every time.

PS, the FA’s in coach left me snacks and water bottles while I was asleep too. So nice to wake up to that.
SPN Lifer and Lori_Q like this.

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; Jan 7, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.