Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:30 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 15, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K 0.95MM – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P

It's Chinese New Year Weekend. I was looking at Friday's UA803s upgrade status today.

It currently shows:

United Economy Full

United BusinessFirst 39/40 - Three on the upgrade list.

United GlobalFirst 5/8 - Zero on the upgrade list.

So 4 available seats on the flight.

If coach is oversold, will they push BF upgraders into GF?
Old Feb 18, 15, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.92 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
If you purchased a BF ticket, you would get a good chance. If you have already upgraded from Y to BF, there is no chance for OP UP. Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 15, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I have a Y ticket and am on the BF standby list, and I am hoping the some current BF pax are OP-UP'd to GF and so on, to make room in Y.

So would they fill those seats in GF first or offer DB compensation to Y pax first? I have to think they would fill all of the seats first, but I suppose anything's possible.
Old Feb 18, 15, 8:14 am

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
If you purchased a BF ticket, you would get a good chance. If you have already upgraded from Y to BF, there is no chance for OP UP. Good luck.
I bet this flight has quite a few people on J/C/D fares.

Even if you have BF ticket on Z/P, your chance for Op Up is slim.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Y to BF as a prior upgrade is a disqualifier; I don't believe the GAs when working op-ups tend to look at that.

However, I agree indeed there's little to no chance for the OP.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by exerda View Post

However, I agree indeed there's little to no chance for the OP.
+1 - However - if UA has a flight delay / cancel inbound to NRT there's a good chance that many of those seats won't be filled and a pending upgrade would clear - but not an OP-UP....
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to say Y to BF as a prior upgrade is a disqualifier; I don't believe the GAs when working op-ups tend to look at that.
Agree. They are as likely to op-up based on status as anything else.
Old Feb 18, 15, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agree. They are as likely to op-up based on status as anything else.
Exactly what I meant! Closely followed by expediency for the GA working the flight...
Old Feb 18, 15, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Odds are close enough to zero to a) not to worry about, and b) start another FT thread about for an individual flight.

Good luck, but sorry.
Old Feb 18, 15, 10:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GS, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LP
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Odds are close enough to zero to a) not to worry about, and b) start another FT thread about for an individual flight.

Good luck, but sorry.
I'm on these flights next week and since TYO is always a stopover for me in both directions I can never purchase a BF ticket (they will only sell GF) so I always have to purchase economy and try to upgrade with an instrument - it works about half of the time - and I've never had an OP-UP on these segments ever - too much demand...
Old Feb 18, 15, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

I think you misunderstand.

I'm not asking about an op-up for myself. I'm wondering if they normally op-up BF pax to GF in order to make room for oversold coach. I think that's ok for a thread.

As for me personally, I am hoping that this is true as I am on the standby list for BF, so if they op-up the current BF pax, THEN I will be upgraded with my GPU (not oped up).
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
It's Chinese New Year Weekend. I was looking at Friday's UA803s upgrade status today.

It currently shows:

United Economy Full

United BusinessFirst 39/40 - Three on the upgrade list.

United GlobalFirst 5/8 - Zero on the upgrade list.

So 4 available seats on the flight.

If coach is oversold, will they push BF upgraders into GF?
Since 2012 I have never had an op-up. Was a 1k and still am a 1k.

But I have had plenty of op-downs.
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:23 pm

I'm not asking about an op-up for myself. I'm wondering if they normally op-up BF pax to GF in order to make room for oversold coach. I think that's ok for a thread.

As for me personally, I am hoping that this is true as I am on the standby list for BF, so if they op-up the current BF pax, THEN I will be upgraded with my GPU (not oped up).
Very rare IME -- if Y is indeed oversold, they will still offer VDBs (although usually they get on anyway because of missing pax) and I see non-revs fill up the rest in GF/BF.

In all my travels, i've only been OP UPed twice in the past 4 years. Once as a 1K (ORD-HKG) and once as a GS (FRA-EWR). Both was explained to me that it was because of oversold Y.
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold

If the flight is oversold in Y - they will move people up by waitlist/status etc.
They will not bump people from the flight and let an F seat go out unused. But most likely it will be non-revs.
Old Feb 18, 15, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
I'm not asking about an op-up for myself. I'm wondering if they normally op-up BF pax to GF in order to make room for oversold coach.
Yes, that's what they are supposed to do (and that's how I have seen it done).

NRSAs would clear, if at all, only after all confirmed passengers have seat assignments.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: