Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If you're a Plat, you probably have the miles to use on what seems to be a likely easy upgrade.
Or PlusPoints if the OP has any remaining. Just 20 PP would allow OP to obtain PE seat; 40 PP to J seat assuming the ticket isn't a heavily discounted fare.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
PlusPoints or CPU

Hey All,

I'm new to being a United 1K and was hoping for some advice as to whether to use Plus Points or hope for a CPU.

I'm flying FCO -> EWR on July 31, and am #3 on the upgrade list. The flight shows 7 seats open in Polaris. I can (i) "cancel" my Plus Points Upgrade, and just hope to upgrade to Polaris based on my 1K status, or (ii) use the PlusPoints to get the upgrade.

What's the best way to think about this?

Thank you!
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
FCO-EWR is not a route that is CPU eligible, so that won't work. Use the plus points!
geckoflyer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Thanks so much. Any way to know what is CPU eligible and what isn't? Would love to learn so I don't waste your time
Old Jul 29, 2021, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln841
Thanks so much. Any way to know what is CPU eligible and what isn't? Would love to learn so I don't waste your time
Here's a current link to the chart:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...s/upgrade.html

There are nuances, but the basic principle I commit to memory is CPU only for North America except premium transcon (EWR/JFK-SFO/LAX) and long Hawaii (DEN/IAH/ORD/IAD/EWR). If you fly around Oceania there is more to remember.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln841
The short answer is, most flights where you'd really like a CPU aren't eligible. (No flight marketed as Polaris Business will have CPUs).

If a non-CPU flight is overbooked in economy, and the instrument-supported upgrade list is empty, then (and only then) will they upgrade passengers from economy based upon status -- this is considered an operational upgrade rather than a CPU. If it is not overbooked in economy, they will allow the seats in J to go unused.

Personally, I wouldn't ever risk it -- even if you were pretty sure that a flight was going to be oversold, and that you'd get an op-up, all it takes is one family extending their trip for a day, or missing their ride to the airport, or whatever, and you could end up in a completely full Y cabin.
SPN Lifer and oopl like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The other consideration is, what else are you going to do with the Plus Points? They're not especially easy to burn these days.
Dyce and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
The other consideration is, what else are you going to do with the Plus Points? They're not especially easy to burn these days.
Agreed. If you're not going to spend them for an overwater upgrade option, what are you saving them for?

David
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:30 am

I’ve been burning PlusPoints even on 1-2 hour United Express flights. I’d probably get a CPU, but there’s nothing else I’d use the points for.
SPN Lifer and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
I’ve been burning PlusPoints even on 1-2 hour United Express flights. I’d probably get a CPU, but there’s nothing else I’d use the points for.
Ditto, and at 20 PlusPoints per domestic flight and 600+ PlusPoints banked it will be very hard to burn them all, but I am trying hard.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fumje
There are nuances, but the basic principle I commit to memory is CPU only for North America except premium transcon (EWR/JFK-SFO/LAX) and long Hawaii (DEN/IAH/ORD/IAD/EWR). If you fly around Oceania there is more to remember.
I got a easier one. As soon as the scheduled flight time 1) does not exceed 6 hours; 2) is neither p.s./TPAC/TATL, then the flight is CPUable.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:50 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
I got a easier one. As soon as the scheduled flight time 1) does not exceed 6 hours; 2) is neither p.s./TPAC/TATL, then the flight is CPUable.
Generally OK (unclear if you mean and or either) but what about flights to ANC and/or deep South America,
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally OK (unclear if you mean and or either) but what about flights to ANC and/or deep South America,
I mean and. You can put S. America on as well (I don't fly to S. America).
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:14 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by jsloan
The short answer is, most flights where you'd really like a CPU aren't eligible. (No flight marketed as Polaris Business will have CPUs).

If a non-CPU flight is overbooked in economy, and the instrument-supported upgrade list is empty, then (and only then) will they upgrade passengers from economy based upon status -- this is considered an operational upgrade rather than a CPU. If it is not overbooked in economy, they will allow the seats in J to go unused.

Personally, I wouldn't ever risk it -- even if you were pretty sure that a flight was going to be oversold, and that you'd get an op-up, all it takes is one family extending their trip for a day, or missing their ride to the airport, or whatever, and you could end up in a completely full Y cabin.
I got CPU's both ways on my flights to Hawaii, and those were definitely flights I wanted a CPU on.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp
I got CPU's both ways on my flights to Hawaii, and those were definitely flights I wanted a CPU on.
Only Hawaii - California flights (and vv) are CPU'able. Many (but not all) of those are standard domestic first class. Yes, there are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb -- routes that you really want CPUs on -- long-haul to Hawaii, trans-Oceanic, ps flights -- are not CPU-eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.