Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
There are no complimentary upgrades on "Polaris" or premium transcon service or Hawaii (to/from ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH) flights for elites. Elites need to support their upgrades with Plus Points or miles+copay. A complete table is here

Some international flights are CPU eligible (mainly North American)

On very rare occasions if a lower cabin is overbooked, some passengers (usually by elite status) will be operational upgraded (op-up'ed)
Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

did united ever offer complimentary upgrades on international routes?

Print Wikipost

Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:31 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
I’ve been burning PlusPoints even on 1-2 hour United Express flights. I’d probably get a CPU, but there’s nothing else I’d use the points for.
This is me as well. If not paying for F, I'll use them for myself on my only flights these days, also 1-2 hours max. I also upgrade one of my non-status employees on his monthly DFW-ORD runs--that's a better use for me because he always checks a bag and saves the company $70 R/T (as long as he clears before the gate).

Since I'm not traveling internationally in the near (and possible longer) future, they're actually of little to no value to me. I still have 440 PPs and am about to earn my 2021 1K threshold lot of them (I already got the 'Plat' 40).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 11:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I got a easier one. As soon as the scheduled flight time 1) does not exceed 6 hours; 2) is neither p.s./TPAC/TATL, then the flight is CPUable.
Generally OK (unclear if you mean and or either) but what about flights to ANC and/or deep South America,
I mean and. You can put S. America on as well (I don't fly to S. America).
You may need to bump up the 6-hour limit but then some east coast-Europe flights become a problem.

There are multiple CPU flights over 6 hours scheduled, IAH-ANC, EWR-SEA, BOS-SFO, LAX-PTY, ...

Easier to express what is not CPU and the rest are CPU.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 6:07 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Chances of Upgrade from Economy to Polaris on Transpacific Flight

I have a transpacific flight from TYO to ORD in August and upgraded my seat to United Polaris (Business) Class using points and cash. However, with only about 10% of Polaris seating reserved so far on my flight (and probably not likely to increase much), I'm wondering if I'd have a good chance of getting upgraded to Polaris as a UA Premier Gold from Economy Plus instead and save the cash since the Polaris is not a fully functioning product at the moment. With Polaris Class mostly empty, is UA upgrading its Premier members to fill all those empty seats? Does anyone think I'd have a good chance to snag an upgrade?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
UA is not giving complementary upgrades on long haul international flights from Y to J, even with the reduced service level and light loads So if you want an upgrade you should arrange it from your end as you have done.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
... I'm wondering if I'd have a good chance of getting upgraded to Polaris as a UA Premier Gold from Economy Plus instead and save the cash since the Polaris is not a fully functioning product at the moment. With Polaris Class mostly empty, is UA upgrading its Premier members to fill all those empty seats? Does anyone think I'd have a good chance to snag an upgrade?
The only circumstances for this would if economy was overbooked which does not appear to be an issue either.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I have a transpacific flight from TYO to ORD in August and upgraded my seat to United Polaris (Business) Class using points and cash. However, with only about 10% of Polaris seating reserved so far on my flight (and probably not likely to increase much), I'm wondering if I'd have a good chance of getting upgraded to Polaris as a UA Premier Gold from Economy Plus instead and save the cash since the Polaris is not a fully functioning product at the moment. With Polaris Class mostly empty, is UA upgrading its Premier members to fill all those empty seats? Does anyone think I'd have a good chance to snag an upgrade?
Your chance of scoring a free upgrade is less than 0%.

1. UA does not upgrade simply because the cabin is empty.

2. Even so, your status is too low to score one anyway.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 5:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Your chance of scoring a free upgrade is less than 0%.

2. Even so, your status is too low to score one anyway.
Yes, that was my concern. Back in the mid-90s, when Gold was the highest UA status, I sometimes scored upgrades to business class on transpacific flights, but today is a different story. Still, I thought that with 40 Polaris seats potentially empty, I might stand a chance if complimentary upgrades were offered, even as Premier Gold, but now I discover they aren't even offered regardless of status on long-haul international flights, so it doesn't matter. Not a big deal, since I still have the upgrade.
uanj likes this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Aug 1, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Old Aug 1, 2021, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
It is not a CPU eligible flight, so the chance of getting upgrades as a Premier Gold is close to zero.

Many have observed Polaris cabins are gone out with several empty seats on a number of international flights.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may need to bump up the 6-hour limit but then some east coast-Europe flights become a problem.

There are multiple CPU flights over 6 hours scheduled, IAH-ANC, EWR-SEA, BOS-SFO, LAX-PTY, ...

Easier to express what is not CPU and the rest are CPU.
Also EWR-ANC (seasonal) which is 7.5 hours, but first usually sells out from paid first fares or buy-up offers, so hoping for a CPU or relying on PP for this route will lead to disappointment.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uanj
UA is not giving complementary upgrades on long haul international flights from Y to J, even with the reduced service level and light loads So if you want an upgrade you should arrange it from your end as you have done.
This. On my FRA-IAD flight last week fully half of the Polaris seats were empty, and Y was close to full.

Off thread topic, my IAD-FRA return flight was completely full. For my next flight (FRA-EWR) I've already been upgraded, and on the return, I'm waitlisted and likely won't be upgraded. Are UA customers moving to Germany for good?
uanj likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mysticalice
United doesn't seem to do cabin upgrades on international flights (I still don't understand why), but does Lufthansa?
Do you mean free upgrades? No, no one does that on international flights. You can upgrade through a number of ways depending on how flush your UA account is with miles or PluPoints. Sometimes you are offered an opportunity to pay for an upgrade. Again, you can use PlusPoints to upgrade on both UA and LH.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As noted, no free upgrades. Only United has what they call Premier 1K. Within Star Alliance, there's only up to *Gold.

David
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do you mean free upgrades? No, no one does that on international flights. You can upgrade through a number of ways depending on how flush your UA account is with miles or PluPoints. Sometimes you are offered an opportunity to pay for an upgrade. Again, you can use PlusPoints to upgrade on both UA and LH.
Yeah i know no one does it on international flights, but it doesn't make sense to me - an open seat is an open seat, and it gets frustrating watching a flight attendant and her boyfriend fly polaris business on a 13 hour flight, on standby, but me as 1K or GSC, spending tens of thousands of dollars each year with the airline, stay in premium economy . OR i have to use pluspoints to get on a waitlist

Thanks all for the responses. This is very helpful

Last edited by mysticalice; Mar 1, 2022 at 5:18 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah i know no one does it on international flights, but it doesn't make sense to me - an open seat is an open seat, and it gets frustrating watching a flight attendant and her boyfriend fly polaris business on a 13 hour flight, on standby, but me as 1K or GSC, spending tens of thousands of dollars each year with the airline, stay in premium economy . OR i have to use pluspoints to get on a waitlist...
If you see a "FA and her boyfriend" sitting in Polaris as you trudge to the back, that's your choice. PlusPoints or a mileage upgrade would have put you ahead of them on the upgrade list and you would have been sitting in one of their seats. UA gives you the ability to use miles or PPs to upgrade at a cost far below the price of a Polaris ticket - if there's an empty seat, you had the chance to grab it. Not sure why you want to blame a "FA and her boyfriend" for taking the seat(s) you decided (for whatever reason) to pass on.

Can you provide the name of an airline that promise regular complimentary upgrades on long-haul flights to their elites?
threecap likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Yeah i know no one does it on international flights, but it doesn't make sense to me - an open seat is an open seat, and it gets frustrating watching a flight attendant and her boyfriend fly polaris business on a 13 hour flight, on standby, but me as 1K or GSC, spending tens of thousands of dollars each year with the airline, stay in premium economy . OR i have to use pluspoints to get on a waitlist

Thanks all for the responses. This is very helpful
It makes plenty of sense . The price and service differential between economy and Polaris is so high that no one would pay for the latter if there was a reasonable chance for an automatic upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.