FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Complimentary upgrades when UA's PremPlus / Polaris cabin(s) are open? (No)
Old Jun 14, 2023, 9:30 pm
fly talk

International Upgrades without PlusPoints

Hi, I'm a new United Platinum Member and trying to understand how international flight upgrades work.

Let's say I want to buy a non-stop ticket from NYC to Tokyo, Japan and the flight has these availabilities:
  • 20 of 50 Business/First class seats purchased (30 Business/First seats available)
  • 10 of 30 Premium Plus seats purchased (20 Premium Plus seats available)
  • 10 of 40 Eco Plus (30 Eco Plus seats available)
If I buy tickets for myself + 1 in fare class Q or V and DO NOT use any PlusPoints, do we have a chance at getting upgraded to business/first based on my elite status, the ticket's fare class, and all that free space up front? Because I'm understanding that upgrades work in this order:
  • Global Services requests (not me)
  • PlusPoints and mileage upgrade awards (not used)
  • Elite status (Platinum)
  • Fare class. More expensive fare classes clear first (Q or V fare class)
  • Etc.
Basically I'm trying to figure out if we can still get upgraded on an international flight from NYC to Tokyo without using PlusPoints?

Or is there a general rule that you need to use PlusPoints to get upgraded simply because it's a long international flight? And United will just leave all those seats vacant?

Thanks