Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
My 1K friend will have a trip to BKK. His wife may go to China directly from Thailand. So, her return segments will have to be cancelled. This was 60K JN sale fare.
What is the best strategy for canceling the return, before the trip or in the middle of the trip, without triggering repricing? I do not know the best answer myself. Thanks.
My understanding is that your friend does want to fly the original booking still and only remove wife's return segments. For that, best thing I can think of is fly outbound, then split reservation and cancel for the 1 pax. I have not done that before, but I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work. There shouldn't be any repricing when cancel.

Perhaps someone else knows a better scheme.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
My understanding is that your friend does want to fly the original booking still and only remove wife's return segments. For that, best thing I can think of is fly outbound, then split reservation and cancel for the 1 pax. I have not done that before, but I can't think of any reason why that wouldn't work. There shouldn't be any repricing when cancel.

Perhaps someone else knows a better scheme.
There won't be any repricing, but there also won't be any refund.

If you change only the return prior to travel, it's going to be YMMV as to whether or not an agent will be both willing and able to store the old fare and book the new ticket. The partner segments on the itinerary add an extra wrinkle.

My suggestion would be to identify some future flight that she may want to take and then try, after departure, to change (not cancel) to the new flight. That should keep the outbound from repricing, because it's already been flown, and should return any mileage difference on the return.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:58 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
It all has to be on one PNR to qualify.
So then my question becomes, can I call in to Reservations and have them rebook on to one ticket if existing inventory doesn't match? Flight 1 involves IN space (IN=0, I took the last 2) and partner I space (also 0).
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jcturnbull
So then my question becomes, can I call in to Reservations and have them rebook on to one ticket if existing inventory doesn't match? Flight 1 involves IN space (IN=0, I took the last 2) and partner I space (also 0).
It would be against policy for them to do so. It might be possible, but there's a nonzero chance that you'd lose the partner reservation entirely.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kb1992
2/26 PVG-SFO is showing XN9

But saver award at 35K miles is not available?

United.com wants 118K miles.

Is this right?
There are some ongoing united.com display issues. I'd call to book it. Should be XN for 35k
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Strange. The award is booking into YN instead of XN.
Originally Posted by cfischer
There are some ongoing united.com display issues. I'd call to book it. Should be XN for 35k

Called GS desk. The agent was puzzled too since XN9 but can't be booked online.

After talking to her supervisor, she still could not get 35K pricing.

So she created a PNR booked into XN, and sent over to some department to get a pricing.

Don't know how long this will take.

It's just frustrating. I think it's intentional. UA doesn't want to allow us to book 35 XN award PVG-SFO.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
It's just frustrating. I think it's intentional. UA doesn't want to allow us to book 35 XN award PVG-SFO.
If they didn't want to make it available at the XN price, they would just zero out the XN bucket. There's no need to invent conspiracies.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
If they didn't want to make it available at the XN price, they would just zero out the XN bucket. There's no need to invent conspiracies.
United has a China desk that handles 857/858.

Often things like pushing PN upgrade at T-72 would need assistance from the China desk.

GS agent won't even be able to do it.

That desk has a lot of power. They just eliminated XN price but forgot to inform the RM to zero out XN.

My 2 cents
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Have an award schedule change. Website says I'm eligible for a free change +/- 1 day.

However, on the new change UI (while logged in), all searches say no flight available. On the old UI (not logged in) I see flight options but I'd have to pay more (although still XN). But this isn't even the option I wanted. The flight I wanted (UA operated) has no XN space - would I be able to call UA, get them open XN space on the flight I want, and do an even exchange?
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Have an award schedule change. Website says I'm eligible for a free change +/- 1 day.

However, on the new change UI (while logged in), all searches say no flight available. On the old UI (not logged in) I see flight options but I'd have to pay more (although still XN). But this isn't even the option I wanted. The flight I wanted (UA operated) has no XN space - would I be able to call UA, get them open XN space on the flight I want, and do an even exchange?
You might find an agent that pushes back, but in my experience this almost always works.
SPN Lifer and kevflyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:31 pm

can I re-use booked segment when changing a partner award issued by UA ? flying JFK-TPE-HKG, there is no current availability in JFK-TPE anymore, and I'd like to keep first segment and change destination of second leg (award space available). Is it possible via agent? Called and agent said it requires first leg to be available too for them to reprice the whole itinerary. Any workaround? (I recall I did it once last year with an all-UA award, but not sure if it's different when involving partner airline)
Old Feb 5, 2023, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allenorchid
can I re-use booked segment when changing a partner award issued by UA ? flying JFK-TPE-HKG, there is no current availability in JFK-TPE anymore, and I'd like to keep first segment and change destination of second leg (award space available). Is it possible via agent? Called and agent said it requires first leg to be available too for them to reprice the whole itinerary. Any workaround? (I recall I did it once last year with an all-UA award, but not sure if it's different when involving partner airline)
It's definitely not within policy. A determined agent might be able to get it to work, but there's a very real chance that you'd lose the JFK-TPE award entirely.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:48 pm

Hi Everyone,

I haven't booked many UA awards in the past but I wasn't able to find this answer quickly - even though it might be somewhat obvious for this group.

I am wanting to book 2 First seats on a particular route. This route has plenty of seats available. When I search flights for 1 ticket - the route I want shows the particular flight with a cost of 74,000 miles. When I do that same search for 2 tickets I see 82,200 miles. Why is it charging me 8,200 additional miles per ticket for the exact same thing? Is it worth the risk to just buy 2 tickets independently? Very bizarre.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 1:54 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
There are two possibilities:

A) They have one ticket on sale for 74K miles and another on sale for 82.2K miles. It's easier to charge the higher price.

B) They have one ticket on sale for 74K miles and another on sale for 90.4K miles. They are averaging the cost.

Either way, I would just call in to book this. You can explain the issues and they can set up both itineraries (for you and your companion) and then book them separately, but at the same time.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are two possibilities:

A) They have one ticket on sale for 74K miles and another on sale for 82.2K miles. It's easier to charge the higher price.

B) They have one ticket on sale for 74K miles and another on sale for 90.4K miles. They are averaging the cost.

Either way, I would just call in to book this. You can explain the issues and they can set up both itineraries (for you and your companion) and then book them separately, but at the same time.
The simpler answer, is both tickets must be the same in all ways except for the name and seat (other individual details), the same includes the same fare basis. If there is only 1 ticket inventory, but tickets than inventory, then the tickets will be priced at the next available pricing with enough inventory. The reason for this is a PNR which can hold multiple ticket, but the PNR can have only one fare / fare basis for all the tickets. Best to search for the amount of inventory / tickets you need or you can get these sort of surprises.

There is no averaging the prices although continuous pricing comes close to this.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.