Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 17, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6, 2016
  • Fee Changes - for example, Platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- Updates to UA MP Multi-City Award Travel & Award Fee Changes (Post Oct 2016){Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Feb 20, 18, 12:11 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
I'm having issues with an award booking using MileagePlus about a month out and hoping some folks here with United experience can advise. I'm trying to book a flight within Europe (XXX-YYY-LHR) and see multiple Star Alliance options on TAP Portugal and SAS. I booked one of them, using miles in Economy for two people, last night and got an email today that the flights are not actually available. When I talked to an agent on the phone they described phantom availability in a lot more words and said that on their side none of the flights were showing available when they tried to sell them. In the end, I found a less desirable option on Lufthansa that will force me to buy a Ryanair ticket to get to a new departure point. When I check on United.com I still see the TAP and SAS availability. Does this sound like a normal occurrence or should I be HUACA-ing?
Old Feb 20, 18, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by McGoogles View Post
Does this sound like a normal occurrence or should I be HUACA-ing?
Yes, it sounds fairly normal, sadly. Check Aeroplan and ANA, both of which allow you to do mileage searches without any miles in your account. Generally, if it's phantom availability, you won't be able to see it on one or both of those sites.
Old Feb 20, 18, 12:32 am

I have a United award flight booked in June on Thai First Class SYD-BKK-HKG that was booked before the Nov award chart change. Recently Thai did an aircraft swap on the BKK-HKG segment to an A330, then a 777 and neither has business. They also changed the departure time by about 30 minutes.

Would I be able to call United and have them change the award to SYD-BKK-NRT/HND due to this change, which would be First all the way, and would it cost extra because of the award chart change? There is award availability to Tokyo on the date of my flight.
Old Feb 20, 18, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cruser1 View Post
I have a United award flight booked in June on Thai First Class SYD-BKK-HKG that was booked before the Nov award chart change. Recently Thai did an aircraft swap on the BKK-HKG segment to an A330, then a 777 and neither has business.
You mean they rebooked you in Y? That would not be appropriate.

Originally Posted by cruser1 View Post
Would I be able to call United and have them change the award to SYD-BKK-NRT/HND due to this change, which would be First all the way, and would it cost extra because of the award chart change? There is award availability to Tokyo on the date of my flight.
You might get them to waive the award change fee based on the equipment and schedule change, but I'd expect to pay any mileage difference.
Old Feb 20, 18, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You mean they rebooked you in Y? That would not be appropriate.
I'm guessing OP meant "neither has first." I've yet to see a report of anyone being dropped down to Y, and, if it happened, I'd expect UA to have a good bit of flexibility to get them back into J.

You might get them to waive the award change fee based on the equipment and schedule change, but I'd expect to pay any mileage difference.
Agreed, and I'd expect it to be on the new award chart, not the older one. And, even then, it might be difficult if there's no longer any F award inventory on the SYD-BKK sector.
Old Feb 20, 18, 1:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
I'd expect it to be on the new award chart, not the older one.
Oh it would definitely be the new chart.
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I haven't booked an award on UA since the new rules were put in place. Starting research on an upcoming trip. I see availability on the NH award search site that is not shown on the UA award search results.

Does this mean it is impossible to book the flights that I cannot see on UA? Or is this a temporary issue and the agents see the *A availability (either now or in a day or so)?
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I see availability on the NH award search site that is not shown on the UA award search results.

Does this mean it is impossible to book the flights that I cannot see on UA? Or is this a temporary issue and the agents see the *A availability (either now or in a day or so)?
If it's on NH only, it is not *A availability. NH releases more seats to ANA Mileage Plan members than it does to its *A partners.

If you don't see it on united.com, it cannot be booked with United miles.
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:33 am

If it's on NH only, it is not *A availability. NH releases more seats to ANA Mileage Plan members than it does to its *A partners.

If you don't see it on united.com, it cannot be booked with United miles.
I meant *A awards (not NH awards) seen on the NH award site.
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel View Post
I meant *A awards (not NH awards) seen on the NH award site.
Got it.

Have you checked AP? NH has phantom availability problems ever since they "upgraded" a couple years ago.

In any event, if it's not showing on united.com, it cannot as a practical matter be booked.
Old Feb 21, 18, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it.

Have you checked AP? NH has phantom availability problems ever since they "upgraded" a couple years ago.

In any event, if it's not showing on united.com, it cannot as a practical matter be booked.
I agree; double-check with Aeroplan. Also, can you can give an example? Are the affected flights all from the same carrier? There have been intermittent reports of one carrier or another having their awards drop off of United.com. In those specific cases, calling in can help.
Old Feb 21, 18, 11:22 am

I will post later on. In all day meetings
Old Feb 21, 18, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I've been having trouble booking an itinerary that goes from BKK-CDG-FRA-IAD on TG and LH metal in J. I've been unable to book the full itinerary due to the site being as horrible as it is. I called and gotten web support a few times and they confirmed that they were unable to see the FRA-IAD I inventory yet ExpertFlyer was able to see it just fine. I imagined that it would have just been phantom space that I was unable to book. Today, the same segment shows up on bomb.com... I was unable to book the full ride but I was able to book the FRA-IAD by itself as a test which is weird at least for me...

Should I call back web support and see what the world in IT is going on???
Old Feb 21, 18, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InterPlace55 View Post
I was unable to book the full ride but I was able to book the FRA-IAD by itself as a test which is weird at least for me...

Should I call back web support and see what the world in IT is going on???
Does it show up when you search BKK-IAD? If not, you're unlikely to be able to book it as a single award, even if there is availability on each sector.
Old Feb 21, 18, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Does it show up when you search BKK-IAD? If not, you're unlikely to be able to book it as a single award, even if there is availability on each sector.
It 100% shows up when I search BKK-IAD, but when I get to the payment screen and click to pay, it throws back an error.

Also got got off the phone with the Premier line and they said they cant see it and they looked at two systems to be sure it wasnt an error on their end which it is cause I was able to plainly see the seat on Aeroplan

Search this Thread