Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 29, 2023, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Assuming the OP has enough miles to do so, this raises the prospect of booking a single saver award & waiting for a second to appear without splitting or otherwise disturbing the original two-seat YN award.
At some other time, you mean? How many IAD-CUN flights does UA even have? Im guessing the OP has chosen the nonstop.

Originally Posted by dannysporea
I still have 100k miles left in the cardholder account. Not sure though what benefits these are for an award ticket for the non-cardholder. So if a single award ticket comes up, the idea is to book it first for the cardholder (or the non-cardholder from the cardholder account with the cardholder miles and card?), split the PNR and cancel half of the original ticket for the person booked with the new saver award ticket? And if the second saver award shows up book it and cancel the original PNR altogether? Hopefully it wont get flagged immediately since it will likely be the exact same flight for the same person with two tickets for a couple of minutes did not try any of these things before so there are no priors in our accounts
You wont have any problems if you cancel immediately, and yes thatd be the plan.

I dont think thered be any benefits to the non-cardholder for flying on a ticket from the cardholder account.
SPN Lifer and dannysporea like this.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I got lucky with my change request :)

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
Hi all: I find myself needing to modify one segment of an upcoming award itinerary . . . . The itinerary is XXX - IAH - SYD. I want to keep the same day, same routing, same IAH - SYD flight, I only want to change the domestic XXX - IAH leg so that we are departing earlier in the day. . . . Is there any chance an agent would be able (and willing) to simply swap out the first segment if I call, or are they bound by the same constraints?
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK. So that's a business class saver redemption which is allowed to be redeemed into a lower cabin when there is no saver award space in the ticketed cabin. That means that you're looking for saver business class awards or saver economy awards on STL-IAH. Although an agent isn't supposed to do this, if you see any, you could certainly ask to be moved. Saver awards would be 12.5K or less in economy or 25K in business. One loophole might be, if you see saver business, and the agent won't just put you on it, ask if you can be waitlisted on it instead. If you see the space, your waitlist would immediately clear, and then you'd just have to call back and get the record cleaned up.
Reporting back on my query from earlier this week about changing the domestic leg of an international itinerary without having to reprice the whole award -- we have now been rebooked on the earlier-departing domestic flight as I had wanted. Not sure if the agent I spoke with did me a favor or made a mistake, I simply said I was worried about the connection and asked if we could be moved to the earlier flight, and she did it without any fuss. I am greatly relieved as this will open up many more options for us in the event of IROPS, and I gather there are worse ways we could spend our time than by passing a few extra hours in the IAH Polaris lounge.

Although I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I do have a follow-on question about whether or not we are entitled to be moved into a higher cabin on this flight. To recap, the award was originally booked as a mixed-cabin itinerary, with STL-IAH booking into XN, and IAH-SYD booking into JN. Following the flight change noted above, we are now booked into YN on the STL-IAH leg, and there is currently award availability on that flight in both YN and JN. But when I called back today to see if we could be moved into J given that this was a business award, I was told that was not possible unless we paid an upgrade fee ($180 per person) or repriced the entire award (which would be cost-prohibitive). Is the agent correct about that, or should I HUCA?

To be clear, we will certainly survive the short STL-IAH flight in Y, so I don't intend to waste too much time pushing for this, but I am curious about what the right answer is here, as I thought from the above exchanges that this should be possible. Did I misunderstand, or does the fact that we were rebooked into YN change the rules? Thanks again for all of the assistance!
Old Jan 30, 2023, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
To be clear, we will certainly survive the short STL-IAH flight in Y, so I don't intend to waste too much time pushing for this, but I am curious about what the right answer is here, as I thought from the above exchanges that this should be possible. Did I misunderstand, or does the fact that we were rebooked into YN change the rules? Thanks again for all of the assistance!
The widespread availability of JN space at 60K was more or less unprecedented (except that it apparently happened twice last year). I'd be tempted to leave well-enough alone, as the normal price for JN is much higher than what you paid. As for the ability to waitlist for a domestic leg when holding a confirmed business class award on the long-haul -- technically, your itinerary doesn't qualify because it's not a saver award. In fact, you normally can't book a mixed YN/JN ticket unless there is no J availability at all on the short leg. The 60K JN awards were just really weird.

I'm hesitating to call them "mistake fares," as they did the same thing twice, but they're acting like mistake fares. I'm glad (but surprised) that you were able to move to the earlier flight without a problem or repricing.
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:59 am

I'm trying to change my HND - ORD flight to HKG-ORD and the system won't let me - is there a rule against this for award flights?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:43 am

I think my best option is to leave well enough alone and just get a room at the IST transit hotel, but just in case I am missing something...

I booked one of those 60K J partner awards last April (IAD FRA IST MNL), all ticketed. The TK264 IST MNL leg changed from a 2150 departure to a 0625 (next day) departure. UA has updated my booking accordingly.

There is a scheduled 0215 flight on TK84 (so four hours earlier). I do not know if there is any award availability on that flight. I am interested in TK84 simply because of sleeping accommodations at IST. Apparently there is a chance that TK will provide a hotel room for >8 hour layover IF I have scheduled the shortest possible connection.

If there is award availability on TK84, will UA have to rebook the entire booking; thus changing the cost? Looking for any other options prior to my calling UA. Thank you!
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:15 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by psychoidiot
I'm trying to change my HND - ORD flight to HKG-ORD and the system won't let me - is there a rule against this for award flights?
No. There just needs to be space.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by lamphs
I think my best option is to leave well enough alone and just get a room at the IST transit hotel, but just in case I am missing something...

I booked one of those 60K J partner awards last April (IAD FRA IST MNL), all ticketed. The TK264 IST MNL leg changed from a 2150 departure to a 0625 (next day) departure. UA has updated my booking accordingly.

There is a scheduled 0215 flight on TK84 (so four hours earlier). I do not know if there is any award availability on that flight. I am interested in TK84 simply because of sleeping accommodations at IST. Apparently there is a chance that TK will provide a hotel room for >8 hour layover IF I have scheduled the shortest possible connection.

If there is award availability on TK84, will UA have to rebook the entire booking; thus changing the cost? Looking for any other options prior to my calling UA. Thank you!
It depends on the agent. I've had several itineraries where I changed one flight and they didn't have to revalidate everything, but in the past I ran into plenty of road blocks. Can't hurt to call and try.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
I'm trying to book an award IND-ORD (economy) connecting ORD-ZRH on LX (business), which shows up available on the website. It lets me go through the entire booking process, including picking seats, and when I attempt to pay the taxes it saw "unable to process your request." Calling in led to the same thing and the agent said it was because there no XN space available on the IND-ORD segment, but when I look it shows XN = 9. Also, the ORD-ZRH segment on LX cannot be booked on its own--married segment?

This was yesterday and the itinerary still shows available today and I still can't book it. I'm assuming this is some sort of anomaly and isn't actually available, but does anyone have an idea?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lamphs

If there are IN's available for both TK84 and FRA-IST flights, agent can do it. Otherwise, it is an uphill battle.
Good luck.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by mtimmer
Also, the ORD-ZRH segment on LX cannot be booked on its own--married segment?
Is this part a question or a statement, because I was going to ask, does ORD-ZRH pop up as an option when you try to book it by itself?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Is this part a question or a statement, because I was going to ask, does ORD-ZRH pop up as an option when you try to book it by itself?
ORD-ZRH does not show up as an option by itself. And then I was (ineloquently) wondering if that was because it was a married segment with the IND-ORD leg. And if I can go on wondering, are married segments a thing when they involve a partner airline?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:44 am

ORD-ZRH does not show up as an option by itself. And then I was (ineloquently) wondering if that was because it was a married segment with the IND-ORD leg. And if I can go on wondering, are married segments a thing when they involve a partner airline?
They can be, yes, annoyingly. If the XN space for IND-ORD shows up on your side, then I'd probably HUACA and hopefully get an agent that understands what's going on. Sometimes when they get the website support people involved, they can get these booked.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yep, married segments with LX. Pretty common these days. The problem is that XN does not exist when combining it with LX ... when the system tries to re-validate it then it fails. Can an agent override this ... yes, but they shouldn't can get into trouble.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
yep, married segments with LX. Pretty common these days. The problem is that XN does not exist when combining it with LX ... when the system tries to re-validate it then it fails. Can an agent override this ... yes, but they shouldn't can get into trouble.
Sorry, I'm not familiar what does this mean? Is it that it's impossible to have a saver bucket (IN or XN) combined with an LX flight on award ticket? I have gotten mixed cabin tickets with LX before, but they were across *A partners, so ticket was then X(AC) / I(LX).
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
So it's a married segment--but it's married to a fare code that goes away when combined with an LX flight. That's a weird sort of conundrum.

@JayhawkCO--I'll try calling back as you suggest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.