Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Feb 6, 2023, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The simpler answer, is both tickets must be the same in all ways except for the name and seat (other individual details), the same includes the same fare basis. If there is only 1 ticket inventory, but tickets than inventory, then the tickets will be priced at the next available pricing with enough inventory. The reason for this is a PNR which can hold multiple ticket, but the PNR can have only one fare / fare basis for all the tickets. Best to search for the amount of inventory / tickets you need or you can get these sort of surprises.

There is no averaging the prices although continuous pricing comes close to this.
Agree with this from what I've seen on both paid and award tickets. And to continue to answer the OP's question, you can book them independently -- most likely after you book 1 person at the lower mileage, you'll see the higher mileage when searching for 1 ticket again. There's nothing wrong with that (it's not violating rules or anything), but the risk is that if there's a flight cancellation or delay, the system won't know you're together and may rebook separately. An agent would almost certainly be willing to switch things if still available, but there's some minor chance of having to travel separately. The 2nd person will also not be eligible for any special seating or upgrades that might come along with your account. It boils down to $80-$150 worth of miles, so you have to decide on the tradeoff.

When I travel with the fam/kids, or if going somewhere where onward travel logistics are complicated, staying on the same PNR is more important than when it's just a couple adults who travel independenlty other times.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 4:44 pm
O62

Originally Posted by jmastron
When I travel with the fam/kids, or if going somewhere where onward travel logistics are complicated, staying on the same PNR is more important than when it's just a couple adults who travel independenlty other times.
In my experience with award flights and IRROPS, it doesn't much matter if you are on the same PNR especially if partners are involved. The systems aren't going to fix the ticket and will need manual intervention anyways.

Now extending benefits can be useful and that might be worth paying the extra miles except this is an F award, so not sure there are too many benefits to reap from status.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:01 am

Ethiopian Airlines award via UA

Folks - I see award availability on United Mileage plus and verified on Expert flyer. Unable to book via united (even though it shows availability). Asked me to call in. No help. Tried changing dates, no luck. Tried changing destination (which was on partner airline), no luck.

Tried this route: BOM->YOW(via ADD)
also tried alternate: BOM-YYZ(via ADD)

any idea whats happening or how to go about booking this award?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, spicadice
Originally Posted by spicadice
Folks - I see award availability on United Mileage plus and verified on Expert flyer. Unable to book via united (even though it shows availability). Asked me to call in. No help. Tried changing dates, no luck. Tried changing destination (which was on partner airline), no luck. ....
How are you see award availability on ua.com. Is it listed as an award option?
What message do you get when you try to book?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:12 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
What's the message you see when you try to book it online?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K
Folks - I see award availability on United Mileage plus and verified on Expert flyer. Unable to book via united (even though it shows availability). Asked me to call in. No help. Tried changing dates, no luck. Tried changing destination (which was on partner airline), no luck.

Tried this route: BOM->YOW(via ADD)
also tried alternate: BOM-YYZ(via ADD)

any idea whats happening or how to go about booking this award?
might be phantom spaces where it's showing as available but it's really not. UA displays tons of lufthansa group phantom spaces so maybe it's the same for Ethiopian?

also does EF show award availability on those flights booking through Ethiopian?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:33 am

The error I get on UA is

"Checkout• We are unable to process your request

Please try again later, or contact customer support at 1-800-396-1751."

--

On Ethiopian, when I search for the same routes with award booking, it gives me the prompt "No Flights"
Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:37 am

But EF is showing X or I class space (you didn't mention which class) on each individual flight?
Old Feb 12, 2023, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
But EF is showing X or I class space (you didn't mention which class) on each individual flight?
trying to book Y. No J space either
Old Feb 12, 2023, 4:35 pm

trying to book Y. No J space either
X is the fare bucket for economy awards. If Expert Flyer isn't showing X availability, there isn't any. Y class is a revenue class.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
X is the fare bucket for economy awards. If Expert Flyer isn't showing X availability, there isn't any. Y class is a revenue class.
thats the thing, expert flyer sees the flight and the seats!
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
all the way end-to-end? There are married segment issues that might prevent this from being bookable
Old Feb 12, 2023, 8:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
that’s the thing, expert flyer sees the flight and the seats!
It takes more than just seats being available to book an award flight, There needs to be a particular inventory type available, such as X inventory for economy tickets. Does EF show X inventory available?

And then there can be extra complications on X on all the flights.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
thats the thing, expert flyer sees the flight and the seats!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It takes more than just seats being available to book an award flight, There needs to be a particular inventory type available, such as X inventory for economy tickets. Does EF show X inventory available?
EF shows X, but doesn't show XN, which is often needed because there's no X inventory available.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 7:38 am

Does XN even exist outside of UA-operated flights?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.