Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:29 pm

Hello, I have a question on the excursionist perk. which logic would suggest is at least in part related to the only rule that seems to contain any potential gray area, namely
"The cabin of service and award inventory of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it."
I have always interpreted this the easy way by only thinking of the class of service. In other words, if my first leg is in business class, I should be able to get an excursionist leg for 0 miles either in business or in economy. However, in my current search I am coming across a problem that seems to stem from the second qualifier specified by the rule above, i.e., the "award inventory", even though some extra considerations might point to a bug.
I am trying to purchase the following award trip:

Bogota (BOG) - Mexico City (MEX) April 26
San Diego (SAN) - New York (NYC) Anytime after that
San Diego (SAN) - Bogota (BOG) Anytime after second leg (it does not even matter as the problem shows up before)

For the first leg there are several business class awards throughout April. For example, I chose a BOG-PTY-MEX operated by Copa airlines, departing from BOG at 8.43 am on 4/26 and arriving in MEX at 4.30 pm for 27,500 miles and $108.55. It is denoted as Business (I), which according to some site denotes Discounted Business Class and according to others denotes Business Partner Award. The problem show up with the second leg: I cannot find any 0 miles offer for any date in the calendar, neither in business nor in economy.
I can understand that Business (I), as a discounted award might not allow to get a non-discounted business ticket on a domestic United flight, which probably represents a higher value in terms of "award inventory" (even though it's a bit strange that at no date United offers a discounted business award on that route), but why there is no 0 miles availability in economy either? Is Business (I) also valued below an economy class award? Or is this likely a bug in the United award calculator?
Thanks everyone in advance for any insight you could give me on this issue.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by italnsd
I can understand that Business (I), as a discounted award might not allow to get a non-discounted business ticket on a domestic United flight, which probably represents a higher value in terms of "award inventory" (even though it's a bit strange that at no date United offers a discounted business award on that route), but why there is no 0 miles availability in economy either? Is Business (I) also valued below an economy class award? Or is this likely a bug in the United award calculator?
Thanks everyone in advance for any insight you could give me on this issue.
Business (I) is the "saver" award level. To delegate to economy for the excursionist perk the economy award would also need to be at the "saver" award level (X/XN), thats what is meant by "same/lower" not everyday availabilty for economy (YN).
jsloan, SPN Lifer and italnsd like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Business (I) is the "saver" award level. To delegate to economy for the excursionist perk the economy award would also need to be at the "saver" award level (X/XN), thats what is meant by "same/lower" not everyday availabilty for economy (YN).
Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand it correctly, "cabin of service" and "award inventory" are two independent criteria that need to be satisfied. In other words a business saver award does not open up an excursionist perk as economy everyday award, because while it satisfies the first requirement, it fails the second, as saver award < everyday award.
This leads to another couple of questions: are saver awards, especially for popular routes, typically not released in advance but closer to day of flight, according to demand? If that was the case, and I booked a business everyday award for the second leg, would I be able later on to change it for a 0 miles excursionist leg, should a saver award (business or economy) be made available?

Just an extra consideration. Since the Fare Class is so important, United does not really facilitate the quest for the excursionist perk by disabling the selection of Fare Class when switching from Money to Miles as price type.

Thanks again

Last edited by italnsd; Apr 5, 2023 at 5:07 pm Reason: inserting a quote and final consideration
Old Apr 5, 2023, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for the clarification. So if I understand it correctly, "cabin of service" and "award inventory" are two independent criteria that need to be satisfied. In other words a business saver award does not open up an excursionist perk as economy everyday award, because while it satisfies the first requirement, it fails the second, as saver award < everyday award.

This leads to another couple of questions: are saver awards, especially for popular routes, typically not released in advance but closer to day of flight, according to demand?

Typically they’re not released at all. If they are released, there’s not necessarily any pattern. United Premier members and United-branded Chase credit card holders often have meaningfully better access to Saver Economy inventory.

If that was the case, and I booked a business everyday award for the second leg, would I be able later on to change it for a 0 miles excursionist leg, should a saver award (business or economy) be made available?

Probably not. You’ll run into a litany of problems, including needing current availability on all partner flights as well as the fact that UA generally will not allow you to change to a flight you’re already on in the same class of service. If your original flight has already been flown, that’s an additional hurdle.

For the most part, the Excursionist Perk was designed for US-based flyers traveling abroad, not vice-versa. :/
SPN Lifer, PanAmWT and italnsd like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
For the most part, the Excursionist Perk was designed for US-based flyers traveling abroad, not vice-versa. :/
Haha, I see your point, but my best use case for the Excursionist Perk (I live in San Diego) has always been to get "free" US flights, especially coast to coast, in business class. The scheme I used is generally a first leg from Region X to the US in business, a middle leg internal to the US in business and a third leg as a cheap "throw-away" flight in economy inside region X. The scheme works well when the third leg is easy to find. For example if Region X is Western Europe one can generally find a flight out of Brussels for a few thousand miles. Conversely, a bad case is if Region X is Mexico as Star Alliance does not have a partner which does Mexican internal flights.
I have used my United miles more often for coming back to the US than for going to Europe, as I felt that using the Excursionist Perk to get a free flight inside Europe is somewhat less valuable because Europe has plenty of discount airlines and, even more, because the business class in inter-european flights is kind of a joke lol.
This is the first time I ran into this problem, which I feel is kind of iffy as United claimed on several occasions that it got rid of "Saver awards" and "Everyday Awards" in favor of a dynamic award pricing in which there is no class distinction, which would result in lower award costs for less popular routes. Instead, surprise surprise, award class is evoked back from the dead to a special guest zombie appearance whenever needed to eff the customer up. Who would have thought lol.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haha, I see your point, but my best use case for the Excursionist Perk (I live in San Diego) has always been to get "free" US flights, especially coast to coast, in business class. The scheme I used is generally a first leg from Region X to the US in business, a middle leg internal to the US in business and a third leg as a cheap "throw-away" flight in economy inside region X.
Note that booking a flight without intent to fly it is is violation of the MileagePlus terms of service. If UA notices, they can cancel the offending flights, reprice your awards as flown, or even close your account.

This is the first time I ran into this problem, which I feel is kind of iffy as United claimed on several occasions that it got rid of "Saver awards" and "Everyday Awards" in favor of a dynamic award pricing in which there is no class distinction, which would result in lower award costs for less popular routes.
I don’t think they ever claimed that it would result in lower award costs. If they did, well, I don’t know what to tell anyone who believed them.

Instead, surprise surprise, award class is evoked back from the dead to a special guest zombie appearance whenever needed
To be fair, what you’re describing isn’t at all what UA intended when they designed the system.

I think you can get an Excursionist Perk on an everyday award if your previous flight was itself an Everyday Award. Unfortunately, I don’t think that helps you on the itinerary you have listed.
SPN Lifer, PanAmWT and italnsd like this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 8:14 pm

Note that booking a flight without intent to fly it is is violation of the MileagePlus terms of service. If UA notices, they can cancel the offending flights, reprice your awards as flown, or even close your account.
Of course I agree on all the points you made. Clearly, many of the things I said were in jest, as I never ever booked a flight without the intent of using it, as some rogue websites discussing this matter have the effrontery to suggest ;-). It's despicable. The reality is that no one can predict the future, and any schedule that includes plans to be on another continent months away from now necessarily faces a certain amount of risk that, helaas, can overpower anyone's good will.

I don’t think they ever claimed that it would result in lower award costs. If they did, well, I don’t know what to tell anyone who believed them.
United FAQs on their "new" award structure is a lovely reading, very soothing. It can be found at united.com/en/us/fly/mileageplus/benefits/award-travel-updates.html
I am particularly fond of these two answers:

Why are you making these changes?
Increasing award prices for the most in-demand flights allows us to offer lower prices on other flights. If your award travel is flexible, these updates will help you make the most of your miles.

It's heart warming to realize how selflessly they acted in making these changes, to offer lower prices for less in-demand flights

Are there still Saver Awards and Everyday Awards?
Even though award pricing can now fluctuate, you may still see fares labeled as Saver Awards or Everyday Awards, which is designed to help you find the lowest priced award available for your cabin. Saver Awards are the best offering we have on a particular flight. You can also visit our Flight awards deals page to check out our lowest award fares.

Here they just forgot to mention that "best offering" comes with strings attached. Of course, no one can credibly say that they wrote it with the intent of misleading. It's just that forecasting the future is so complicated, like planning future flights from Brussels. And, as we know, people believe so many crazy things that the words of the PR department of any corporation would ever hardly figure among the most outrageous.

To be fair, what you’re describing isn’t at all what UA intended when they designed the system.
What can I say, this is my limitation. I know I am just a practical person, lacking the intellectual sophistication needed to face challenging tasks like trying to determine the "true intent" of the creator of anything. This is the realm of enlightened people, like priests and judges. My way of thinking is as simple as it can be, I always defer to what the authors have chosen to leave us as the concrete expression of their intentions. I would never attempt to violate their precepts but also never be so arrogant to believe I know the system better than its creators to be able to use it in a way they did not see
Hopefully is clear that this is a light post, written just to elicit a smile. I am very grateful to all who helped me understand this issue, Lux Flyer and jsloan in particular
PanAmWT likes this.

Last edited by italnsd; Apr 5, 2023 at 8:31 pm
Old Apr 6, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Many people make multiple plans just in case, which means to make two or three same flight reservations for different dates (with good intervals so that the system won’t treat them as “duplicate and impossible” for auto cancellation). This does not mean “no intent to fly” one of the itineraries. In my mind, it is just not a good practice for taking cheap fares away from others. But one has to do it.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Many people make multiple plans just in case, which means to make two or three same flight reservations for different dates (with good intervals so that the system won’t treat them as “duplicate and impossible” for auto cancellation). This does not mean “no intent to fly” one of the itineraries.
Of course it does. It can’t possibly mean anything else. The need to manipulate the system to avoid auto-cancellation proves the point.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
In my mind, it is just not a good practice for taking cheap fares away from others. But one has to do it.
One doesn’t “have” to do it. But if one chooses to do it, one should also understand the potential consequences.
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:49 pm

Thanks again for all your help. Today, somewhat miraculously, a lot of dates suddenly showed up with an Excursionist Perk leg availability (i.e., 0 miles). I was even able to get a halfway business class on a mixed class itinerary. It still baffles me how the miles required gets computed because there were many flights labeled as economy saver (class XN) that costed 12,500 miles. I thought those were the lowest possible, surely opened up by a first leg in Business (I). However, in light of the successful result, as a former manager of mine used to say, let's not allow rationality to get in the way of solving a problem
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... However, in light of the successful result, as a former manager of mine used to say, let's not allow rationality to get in the way of solving a problem
Doubly true for airlines
PanAmWT likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Have anyone noticed that on app when getting standard economy fare the basic fair automaticity posts? It gives u the cheaper basic fare even when I specifically filtered out the basic fare.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I would like to book a J award from Europe to the US with miles. I would pay the require portion out of funds in my travel bank. I'm hoping that closer in to the departure date an F award will open up and at that point I would like to cancel my award and rebook it for the partner airline. My question is 1. Are there any fees associated with cancelling an award before the date of the award flight? (it seems like there is not but I wanted to double check) 2. Can this be done online? 3. How quickly do the miles credit back to my account? 3. Does the cash portion that was paid credit back to my United travel bank and if so how quickly does that happen?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Red259
I would like to book a J award from Europe to the US with miles. I would pay the require portion out of funds in my travel bank. I'm hoping that closer in to the departure date an F award will open up and at that point I would like to cancel my award and rebook it for the partner airline. My question is 1. Are there any fees associated with cancelling an award before the date of the award flight? (it seems like there is not but I wanted to double check) 2. Can this be done online? 3. How quickly do the miles credit back to my account? 3. Does the cash portion that was paid credit back to my United travel bank and if so how quickly does that happen?
1. No cancellation / redeposit fees
2; Yes, but it may not always be the best move (agents can do an exchange and you may not need to wait for redeposit / refunds
3. Usually very quickly, rare occasional longer
Second #3 (4) Yes, but the can take days or weeks. Refunds to Travel Banks seem to be manual
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:57 am

Please reference my two attached screenshots. Looking at coach award prices for a 30 day period from Okinawa to Newark the typical lowest 1-way price is 38.5K, but for the same time frame going reverse routing it's 100K. This huge price difference seems like a head-scratcher to me, is this typical? If I used a Japan IP address to search would the prices be radically different?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.