Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Feb 26, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexus7556
LH454 tomorrow had an aircraft change from a 748 to a 744 and thus my F award booking has been changed to J. I assume I will loose access to the FCT and first class lounges in FRA, is that correct? Does United owe me any compensation since my class was downgraded from F to J?
If there's an alternative flight you'd like that still has an F cabin with space available, LH should be able to move you. If not, you should be able to get a refund of the difference between F and J awards once travel is complete. Additionally, EC.261 should kick in, although I have no idea what that effectively means in this case, when you're using miles from one (non-EU) airline to pay for a journey on a covered airline.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by nexus7556
LH454 tomorrow had an aircraft change from a 748 to a 744 and thus my F award booking has been changed to J. I assume I will loose access to the FCT and first class lounges in FRA, is that correct? Does United owe me any compensation since my class was downgraded from F to J?
United? No, unless you want them to refare you onto a J ticket which would then likely relieve LH from being liable for not accomodating you in F.

LH? Yes. File a claim with LH and they can coordinate with United if they want to add miles as their way of meeting their EU 261 obligations.

heres some discussion on the issue from 2018.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1924305-eu-261-downgrades-reward-flights-points-upgraded-seats.html
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:29 pm

Hi all, new to the United world. I'm trying to book a trip from ORD-KRK on September 24. I know LOT sells a direct non stop on this date, but when I search on United, it's only showing luftansa options. Is there a way I can use united miles to book direct on LOT or do I need to pay cash? Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:35 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
Hi all, new to the United world. I'm trying to book a trip from ORD-KRK on September 24. I know LOT sells a direct non stop on this date, but when I search on United, it's only showing luftansa options. Is there a way I can use united miles to book direct on LOT or do I need to pay cash? Thanks!
If LOT doesn't give the space to United, then it won't be bookable with miles. You'll have to keep paying attention to see if availability pops up, or just buy a revenue ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 8:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
UA miles can only be used on the united website. UA can only offer LOT flights if LOT releases award seats to the Star Alliance partners. There may be limited availablity. That may may or may not change. The available for cash flights will be better.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The available for cash flights will be better.
But will be non existent on 016 stock for what OP is trying to book - the LOT non-stop - which as far as I can tell does not carry a UA codeshare.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 2:37 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
If there's an alternative flight you'd like that still has an F cabin with space available, LH should be able to move you. If not, you should be able to get a refund of the difference between F and J awards once travel is complete. Additionally, EC.261 should kick in, although I have no idea what that effectively means in this case, when you're using miles from one (non-EU) airline to pay for a journey on a covered airline.
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
United? No, unless you want them to refare you onto a J ticket which would then likely relieve LH from being liable for not accomodating you in F.

LH? Yes. File a claim with LH and they can coordinate with United if they want to add miles as their way of meeting their EU 261 obligations.

heres some discussion on the issue from 2018.

EU 261 and downgrades, on reward flights and points-upgraded seats
thanks folks. My origin was CDG so Ive opted for a direct flight from there on United as opposed to continuing on LH. Fewer points and I earn PQP not with the extra hop to fly LH J.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 7:31 pm

Hi all,

Have a MileagePlus award ticket for two people business class open jaw:
IAH-TPE on EVA
TPE-SFO on EVA

There is a chance my partner will stay in TPE longer than I will. From what I read, we would have to split PNR to do this. Is there any other way to cancel the second leg for ONLY my partner? If we end up splitting PNR, would I risk losing the business class ticket? Never done this before. Thanks!!!
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cleanes
Is there any other way to cancel the second leg for ONLY my partner?
No. Splitting the PNR is required. Also keep in mind that no refund is due if you cancel the return leg of an award after using the outbound. (However, changes are allowed).

Originally Posted by cleanes
If we end up splitting PNR, would I risk losing the business class ticket?
No; splitting a PNR doesn't require preticketing and therefore doesn't trigger any of the potential issues with award changes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:07 pm

Great, this makes me feel better if we do have to split itineraries. Thanks so much!
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
. Also keep in mind that no refund is due if you cancel the return leg of an award after using the outbound.
What if the award is a simple RT say SFO-NRT-SFO? If I fly SFO-NRT, I cannot cancel the NRT-SFO and get my miles back? If this is so, then one should always book two one ways instead of one RT. (Assuming no excursionist perk)
Old Mar 1, 2023, 10:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Flying TPA-LHR later this year. Really want to have an overnight connection in IAD (Sunday night) so I can make the daytime flight (Monday morning) to London. However, for the date Im looking to depart, theyre not selling any itineraries (saver or regular) TPA-IAD-LHR even with plenty of saver and regular award availability on both legs.

Oddly, the following day they are selling that itinerary with the daytime flight (arriving at Dulles Monday and leaving for London Tuesday morning). The only difference is that the TPA-IAD flight on Monday is an evening flight when it looks like theres no evening flight TPA-IAD on the Sunday Im departing, the latest arrival into IAD on Sunday is around 3:30p.

Am I pretty much out of luck on getting on the daytime flight to London on Monday morning unless I find my own way to IAD on Sunday? Ive seen longer layovers sold than 3:30pm-8:30am so Im just curious whats up.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
What if the award is a simple RT say SFO-NRT-SFO? If I fly SFO-NRT, I cannot cancel the NRT-SFO and get my miles back? If this is so, then one should always book two one ways instead of one RT. (Assuming no excursionist perk)
That is correct. And, yes, if you're not using the Excursionist Perk, now that there are no longer any cancellation fees, it's normally best to book two one-ways. (The only exception would be that UA sometimes offers a small discount on round-trip itineraries).

Originally Posted by andy_dangg
Am I pretty much out of luck on getting on the daytime flight to London on Monday morning unless I find my own way to IAD on Sunday? Ive seen longer layovers sold than 3:30pm-8:30am so Im just curious whats up.
UA's award search engine will not return every possible combination of flights. In the past, you could often build your own itinerary with judicious searches. This is still possible, but you'll pay for the privilege -- if you use multi-city search for TPA-IAD + IAD-LHR, you may see the flights you want, but you'll be charged the sum total for the two flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
UA's award search engine will not return every possible combination of flights. In the past, you could often build your own itinerary with judicious searches. This is still possible, but you'll pay for the privilege -- if you use multi-city search for TPA-IAD + IAD-LHR, you may see the flights you want, but you'll be charged the sum total for the two flights.
Just a little update to thisI figured it wouldnt hurt to send a message over Twitter to UA about why the itinerary isnt being sold and they just moved my flights back to the day I wanted, no extra miles or hassle or anything. Surprised how easy it was. Really strange considering this itinerary isnt even being sold on the site for reward seats (and I made sure, filtering by IAD connections only).

This would probably only work under certain circumstances but I guess it shows its always good to ask!
jsloan, Xyzzy and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I called 1K line for CLT-MUC-TPE-PVG on saver business this morning. The agent tried two different systems and could not piece these flights together. She could not explain why this happened. 😂😂
I assume other *A airlines are not doing this, right? So Avianca or Air Canada should be able to book US-TYO/ICN/TPE-PVG on one award ticket?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.