FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help
Old Apr 9, 2023, 12:49 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Red259
I would like to book a J award from Europe to the US with miles. I would pay the require portion out of funds in my travel bank. I'm hoping that closer in to the departure date an F award will open up and at that point I would like to cancel my award and rebook it for the partner airline. My question is 1. Are there any fees associated with cancelling an award before the date of the award flight? (it seems like there is not but I wanted to double check) 2. Can this be done online? 3. How quickly do the miles credit back to my account? 3. Does the cash portion that was paid credit back to my United travel bank and if so how quickly does that happen?
1. No cancellation / redeposit fees
2; Yes, but it may not always be the best move (agents can do an exchange and you may not need to wait for redeposit / refunds
3. Usually very quickly, rare occasional longer
Second #3 (4) Yes, but the can take days or weeks. Refunds to Travel Banks seem to be manual