Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Looking for advice on how to plan an ORD--XXX--KIX J award booking for 2 seats (I'd love to find 4, but I am pragmatic I'll need to buy 2 with cash). This is for a booking in June 2019, so inventory hasn't loaded yet.

I plan to set up ExpertFlyer business saver inventory alerts for both ORD--NRT and SFO--KIX. My concern is if, for example, there's SFO-KIX inventory, but no ORD-SFO inventory. What are my options if that happens? I am Gold status, and *might* be Platinum by the time inventory opens up.

Any other suggestions on how to approach this? I'm agnostic to either ANA or UA.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rflor
Looking for advice on how to plan an ORD--XXX--KIX J award booking for 2 seats (I'd love to find 4, but I am pragmatic I'll need to buy 2 with cash). This is for a booking in June 2019, so inventory hasn't loaded yet.
I don't know about ORD-NRT, but SFO-KIX is one of the easier routes for award space (SFO-NRT is also not bad, highly variable depending on date of travel).

Since this would be all UA, you could book the long-haul and add ORD-SFO later. But ORD-SFO in F will be impossible. Even XN may be tough.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I plan to set up ExpertFlyer business saver inventory alerts for both ORD--NRT and SFO--KIX. My concern is if, for example, there's SFO-KIX inventory, but no ORD-SFO inventory. What are my options if that happens?
Your options are to book SFO-KIX and pay for a ticket to SFO; book SFO-KIX and hope to add ORD-SFO if it shows up later; or to wait. You're unlikely to find useful business saver inventory on ORD-SFO.

I would also be looking for ORD-HKG on UA, ORD-TPE on BR, ORD-HND on NH, and maybe ORD-ICN on OZ (they tend to use their older angle-flat product on that route, though). You'll also have a lot more options if you're willing to double-connect.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Since this would be all UA, you could book the long-haul and add ORD-SFO later. But ORD-SFO in F will be impossible. Even XN may be tough.
Yeah I have no delusions of getting F to SFO...I only care about getting J on the long-haul portion. Is it reasonable to consider a mixed booking where I book ORD-SFO cash and SFO-KIX on miles? If so, how would we handle checked baggage in that scenario?
Old May 4, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah I have no delusions of getting F to SFO...I only care about getting J on the long-haul portion. Is it reasonable to consider a mixed booking where I book ORD-SFO cash and SFO-KIX on miles? If so, how would we handle checked baggage in that scenario?
I would certainly consider that. And if you're agnostic between KIX and NRT, consider SFO-NRT as well, since that's a 77W flight. Though perhaps by next summer the 772 on ORD-NRT will have Polaris seats, too.

They should check your bags through at ORD, though some agents have difficulty handling a UA-UA interline on separate tix. You would definitely want to leave extra time for check in.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:32 am

I'm still new here, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But you shouldn't need to do SFO-KIX with cash. It can be a mixed award booking. As long as there is XN space for ORD-SFO you can book the entire trip on a saver award ticket (ORD-SFO in Y, SFO-KIK in J assuming there is business saver availability on that segment). You can waitlist for ORD-SFO in the unlikely event that I space opens up. No reason to pay for ORD-SFO with cash, it won't cost more miles this way and you won't have any complications with checked bags as it's a single ticket.

There's a thread on waitlisting to F/J on award tickets but I can't post URL because I'm too new here.

Last edited by nycflyer1565; May 4, 2018 at 10:33 am Reason: Correcting KIX (typoed KIK originally)
Old May 4, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nycflyer1565
you shouldn't need to do SFO-KIX with cash. It can be a mixed award booking
You're assuming OP will find XN for ORD-SFO. That's not necessarily going to be the case. Domestic saver award availability sucks in general, and hub-to-hubs are especially bad.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:46 am

You're assuming OP will find XN for ORD-SFO. That's not necessarily going to be the case. Domestic saver award availability sucks in general, and hub-to-hubs are especially bad.
Yes. Presumes XN space for ORD-SFO. Still wanted to make OP aware of the option of booking mixed award as it's worth checking. I did this for EWR-IAH-SYD ~6 months out and had no problem with XN on domestic route. That said, EWR-SFO XN wasn't available at the time, which is why I'm through IAH.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
and maybe ORD-ICN on OZ (they tend to use their older angle-flat product on that route, though).
Supposedly all their 777s are lie-flat now.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:23 am

I would certainly consider that. And if you're agnostic between KIX and NRT, consider SFO-NRT as well, since that's a 77W flight. Though perhaps by next summer the 772 on ORD-NRT will have Polaris seats, too.

They should check your bags through at ORD, though some agents have difficulty handling a UA-UA interline on separate tix. You would definitely want to leave extra time for check in.
This is great...confirms what I've been thinking, and creates a follow-on question on the ORD-NRT-KIX/ITM scenario.

Let's say I find space on ORD-NRT, but nothing on NRT --> KIX/ITM and purchase NRT-->ITM on ANA Is it possible for United to handle an UA-ANA interline scenario on separate tickets?

Personally, I'd likely prefer ORD-NRT if it means a Polaris seat.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's say I find space on ORD-NRT, but nothing on NRT --> KIX/ITM and purchase NRT-->ITM on ANA Is it possible for United to handle an UA-ANA interline scenario on separate tickets?
Yes; however, it wouldn't make much difference except in terms of any baggage fees. You would pick your luggage up at NRT, take it through customs, and then proceed to the domestic check-in area. IIRC, I think they ripped off my UA tag and replaced it with an NH tag anyway.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Mixed Carrier Booking Question

I booked the following with UA miles as a single ticket partner award:

19 May -- TG603: HKG-BKK connecting to TG321: BKK-DAC
23 May -- CA901: PEK-ULN

I'm going to arrive in HKG on 19 May a few hours prior, but in the unlikely event of a very late arrival, I may miss the TG flights. I understand that TG may or may not accommodate me in those circumstances, and I'm willing to take that risk. It's more likely that the HKG-BKK will be late and cause me to miss the BKK-DAC flights, as there's only a 70min transit at BKK.

1. In the event that I do miss the TG flight(s), is there any way for me to protect the PEK-ULN flight?

2. Alternatively, is it possible to separate these flights on to separate tickets to prevent an auto-cancellation?

My main goal is to preserve the PEK-ULN flight in the event that something gets messed up with the HKG-DAC flights. FWIW, the TG and CA bookings have separate record locators, though not sure if that's necessarily relevant.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by nikehair
This happened to me, and I was only able to get ticketed almost 6 days later. I had to authorize my account on the phone with an agent as well by answering security questions. Don't give up.

Did the ticket stay in limbo for six days, or was it cancelled and re booked?
Old May 5, 2018, 12:31 am

Is it just me or is it impossible to book J on TK using UA miles? I've put in a variety of dates and starting airports (i.e. ORD, EWR, IAD, etc.) and only managed to find 1 flight out of ORD on TK that got me to where I needed to go (DEL)? I see similar results with ExpertFlyer which leads me to believe that TK doesn't release much J availability.

Would appreciate insight into this and if there is someway around this.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 5, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hard to say for your dates, but historically speaking TK via IST has been a plentiful option for partner award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.