Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Wow... well The Grass is WAY less brown over at American!! I can call and customize any routing I would like as long as its 4 segments. This stinks.

Does anyone know how to work united.com so you get more options?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2018 at 2:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 8, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by aero0729
Search for a one way, book it, and call within 24 hours to add the return (or just book two one-ways). That way you get 200 options there and 200 options back instead of 200 total combinations.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA peasant, QF tin, VA drycracker
Originally Posted by Kacee
The good news is that awards (X/XN) do not typically book into basic economy type fare classes.

But just using UA as the most obvious example, you would not get a free bag on a domestic UA economy award itinerary (at least not without status or one of the Chase cards), since there are no free checked bags on domestic UA flights.
Thanks to all for the replies. Does this mean that the Checked Baggage Calculator linked to before is not a reliable guide? (If I search a number of routes under the "any flights" tab, many carriers come up as first-bag-free (when specifying the carrier in the "marketing carrier" field), but for instance, domestic US flights show the first bag is not free.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aspro
Does this mean that the Checked Baggage Calculator linked to before is not a reliable guide? (If I search a number of routes under the "any flights" tab, many carriers come up as first-bag-free (when specifying the carrier in the "marketing carrier" field), but for instance, domestic US flights show the first bag is not free.
Your e-ticket receipt is the best guide. The calculator may work fine on a single segment itinerary. The complicated issues arise when you're flying more than one carrier on a single itinerary.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA peasant, QF tin, VA drycracker
This actually just got more confusing - I called United (Asian call centre) and was told emphatically that economy awards would be treated by each carrier as equivalent to the most basic economy class, meaning no baggage on Aegean and Croatian. Being slightly sceptical, given the mixed feedback on FT, I called United (US) and was told emphatically that the first bag is always free on international award itineraries on partner airlines.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aspro
This actually just got more confusing - I called United (Asian call centre) and was told emphatically that economy awards would be treated by each carrier as equivalent to the most basic economy class, meaning no baggage on Aegean and Croatian. Being slightly sceptical, given the mixed feedback on FT, I called United (US) and was told emphatically that the first bag is always free on international award itineraries on partner airlines.
Just keep calling until you get the answer you like. They're making it up so you'll get there eventually.

Whatever you do, don't listen to what people are telling you here on FT
Old May 8, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by tommy14
Did LOT confirm for you yet? I'm in the same boat, two one ways in business class, neither one confirmed.
From my experience, how LOT handles premium cabin buckets on GDS is a bit off. For instance early this year it was possible to book F on LOT for the same price as J in spite of the fact that they don't offer a F product. My recommendation would be to call United and/or LOT to see what's going on here. My guess is there is availability but the GDS isn't talking to the LOT reservation system correctly (i.e. requesting from aF bucket in spite of the fact LOT doesn't offer F).

Going ORD-HND in a couple weeks

Found ORD-FRA-LHR-HND on LH F, C and ANA F. 3 flights should be allowed. When I call the 2 separate agents said routing via Europe is not allowed and its 2 awards. I showed them examples where routing via Europe works but they said its only 1 award if united.com says it is. I also cant get a flight from FLL-ORD to price onto any flights so I will just buy it. This seems kind of like a scam since flights are available but united.com picks and chooses what they will give you.

Does anyone know a way around this?
At the end of the day what matters is the MPM (Maximum Permittable Mileage) of the itinerary you are trying to book. Generally speaking, airlines will allow you to go between 5-10% over the shortest possible path between where you are travelling from and going to. In your case FLL -> HND is 7,458 miles so in theory UA should permit itineraries between 7,830 and 8,203 miles on a one-way. Checking out GCMap it seems like a routing through Europe is easily over 10,000 miles which means at least in theory this itinerary is not possible. That being said these aren't hard and fast rules, and the computer can sometimes allow exception to it.

If you're stopping over in Europe, things can start to go sideways depending on how the computer calculates the fare. It could see the fare as follows:
  • ORD -> FRA (Charge First Class Rate North America to Europe)
  • FRA -> LHR (Free per Excursionist Perk)
  • LHR -> HND (Charge First Class Rate Europe to Asia)
The point I'm trying to get at here is that it's difficult as it is to find a suitable routing through Europe to Asia, trying to stop over in a European city is only making matters worse.

My recommendation is keep trying the United Premier number. The level of assistance you get from UA agents varies to god awfully poor to top notch. Hopefully you'll find an angel who can work their magic on the dragon!
Old May 8, 2018, 11:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
..... At the end of the day what matters is the MPM (Maximum Permittable Mileage) of the itinerary you are trying to book. ....
UA does not use MPM.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
If you're stopping over in Europe, things can start to go sideways depending on how the computer calculates the fare. It could see the fare as follows:
  • ORD -> FRA (Charge First Class Rate North America to Europe)
  • FRA -> LHR (Free per Excursionist Perk)
  • LHR -> HND (Charge First Class Rate Europe to Asia)
The Excursionist Perk is only allowed on an itinerary that returns to the original region -- North America, in this case.

OP: My best advice is to try different origin cities until you find something that works for you... or, get something that's as close as possible to what you want, and then call within 24 hours to see if you can convince an agent to adjust it. Sadly, there's no magic bullet here.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA does not use MPM.
Specifically, UA does not use MPM on award tickets. They have an unpublished concept of which awards are allowed to route through which zones, but mileage is irrelevant.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
They have an unpublished concept of which awards are allowed to route through which zones, but mileage is irrelevant.
Which has become virtually irrelevant since they ruined the award booking engine. Now the main constraint is not the unpublished routing rules, but the black box filters.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Wow... well The Grass is WAY less brown over at American!! I can call and customize any routing I would like as long as its 4 segments. This stinks.

For some destinations AA is a much better program to redeem awards in. However for some it is much worse. Try getting J awards to Europe without paying exorbitant fees for BA. On UA I can still get European J awards on LH, LO, OS, LX, and SK pretty easily. IMO AA and UA J saver awards to Europe are about as hard to find.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by cheltzel
For some destinations AA is a much better program to redeem awards in. However for some it is much worse. Try getting J awards to Europe without paying exorbitant fees for BA. On UA I can still get European J awards on LH, LO, OS, LX, and SK pretty easily. IMO AA and UA J saver awards to Europe are about as hard to find.
Agreed on J awards to Europe. Either way.. nothing more frustrating than finding the perfect flights, but not being allowed to book them.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:57 am

On UA I can still get European J awards on LH, LO, OS, LX, and SK pretty easily.
Have you tried lately? LH availability has dried up. Virtually impossible to find anything from the west coast. And LO won't ticket.

Not that I'm saying AA is any better.

IME, UA miles have become very difficult to burn from SFO.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
Have you tried lately? LH availability has dried up. Virtually impossible to find anything from the west coast. And LO won't ticket.

Not that I'm saying AA is any better.

IME, UA miles have become very difficult to burn from SFO.
I can find LH availability and I understand LO has its "nuances" but it can be ticketed (after a lot of calls and up to a week). But then again my perspective is booking award travel from ORD. SFO (or any other UA hub city for that matter) could be totally different.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
I can find LH availability and I understand LO has its "nuances" but it can be ticketed (after a lot of calls and up to a week). But then again my perspective is booking award travel from ORD. SFO (or any other UA hub city for that matter) could be totally different.
LH awards to/from ORD aren’t as impacted. OS to the west coast had some blocking a year or so ago, but seems better. LX imposes it’s own married segment logic which can be a pain to deal with given UAs new system that makes it hard to remove (or add) segments without confirming current availability on everything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.