Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by gusd
Thanks, James.

Yes, I did. I can see this on July 11, as in your screenshot, but not for December 13 Though there is XN space on CLE-ORD for the 6am flight for that day.

Married segments?
Just call UA and have them book it?! You'd need to call anyway because you're paying for a business class ticket using miles so you can waitlist the CLE-ORD segment for business and if "I" opens up you'll get moved up automatically (assuming you're next on the waitlist, of course). UA phone rep should be able to book this for 70K miles and waitlist you all in one call.

-RM
Old May 16, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just call UA and have them book it?! You'd need to call anyway because you're paying for a business class ticket using miles so you can waitlist the CLE-ORD segment for business and if "I" opens up you'll get moved up automatically (assuming you're next on the waitlist, of course). UA phone rep should be able to book this for 70K miles and waitlist you all in one call.

-RM
Thanks. My concern is that, from what I've read on FT, it seems that the agents use the same backend system as the website, and if you don't get an itinerary as an option online, agents don't see it either.

I'll call and see what happens.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:31 am

Thanks. My concern is that, from what I've read on FT, it seems that the agents use the same backend system as the website, and if you don't get an itinerary as an option online, agents don't see it either.

I'll call and see what happens.
Some agents claim that when you call in but from my experience that's just not the case. There were cases where it was clear my upgrade should have cleared (i.e. positive space) and the agent was able to push through the upgrade. If you don't have success with one agent call back and try a different agent (quality varies from poor to amazing). Persistence seems to pay off with United!

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 16, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Some agents claim that when you call in but from my experience that's just not the case. There were cases where it was clear my upgrade should have cleared (i.e. positive space) and the agent was able to push through the upgrade. If you don't have success with one agent call back and try a different agent (quality varies from poor to amazing). Persistence seems to pay off with United!

Safe Travels,

James

Pushing through an upgrade is not the same. Awards are through a different ‘black box’ system where agents typically see the same results we do. Advice as given throughout this thread: trying calling to book first. If that doesn’t work (likely), then book the segments you can piece together obline, then call. IME agents are much more aware of the issue and are a little more helpful than when this issue first started.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My concern is that, from what I've read on FT, it seems that the agents use the same backend system as the website, and if you don't get an itinerary as an option online, agents don't see it either.
Actually the agents have been forced to use an interface that presents the same options as the website. The backend is completely different, which is why an agent who knows what he/she is doing, or has special tools, can change anything.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I think best guidance would still be book ORD-OTP and try to add-on CLE-ORD? But either way you're just trying to get an agent to go to the backend system.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
I think best guidance would still be book ORD-OTP and try to add-on CLE-ORD? But either way you're just trying to get an agent to go to the backend system.
So I called. The agent was seeing the same options as I was online. She called her supervisor, and that's exactly what they did, they booked ORD-OTP in I first, then added CLE-ORD to it in XN. Then I asked her to waitlist me, and she did, so now I am waitlisted in IN for that segment.

Thanks, everybody, for all your suggestions.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:11 pm

Is there any way to do the following that anyone can think of?

USA west coast to HKG or TYO, stopover, then to HKG or TYO (whichever wasn't first) and then back to the west coast USA for either a total of 155k (75 on UA one way and 80k on partner)?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by antonius66
Is there any way to do the following that anyone can think of?

USA west coast to HKG or TYO, stopover, then to HKG or TYO (whichever wasn't first) and then back to the west coast USA for either a total of 155k (75 on UA one way and 80k on partner)?
"free" stopovers no longer exist. This will take 3 separate awards.
HKG-TYO cannot qualify for Excursionist Perk, since they are in different award regions.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:22 pm

That is what I thought, but was not sure if I was missing a way around it. What an absolute screw of a system now. Japan is its own region? Oh brother.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...Japan is its own region? ....
Japan has always been a unique award region. A nuisance in the past but a major pain for Excursionist Perk.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Japan is its own region?
Always has been. Two possible uses of the excursionist perk in your situation are:

1) Visit somewhere else too. There are dozens of places you can go from HKG. Then just buy a HKG-NRT return flight.

2) As HKG and NRT are two of the most expensive airports in the region to fly out of, it may possibly be cheaper to fly USA-HKG/HKG-X and pay for X-NRT return than to fly USA-HKG and pay for HKG-NRT return.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was booked SFO-SEA-TPE-BKK, UA-BR-TG (with SFO-SEA in Y). Have been checking multiple times a day, hoping to change to the SFO-TPE nonstop on BR. This afternoon (<11 days out), it finally opened. But the bad news: The TG segment TPE-BKK is now only available in X. So I figured I'd give "Change Flights" a shot with the hope of keeping my already booked segment in TG J. And it worked! Now booked and ticketed in I on both flights. Went to BR and TG websites and successfully selected seats.
An update . . . Have been watching for BR to open I on TPE-BKK so I could do the all-BR, all lie-flat itinerary, and yesterday (less than 4 days to departure) they finally opened space on the 8:30 a.m. flight. I was again able to make the change using "change flights" but this time it was messier and the TG segment remained in my record and new BR segment initially showed on BR website as "not ticketed." However the record now appears to have been cleaned up and I'm ticketed with confirmed seats.

I would not have tried this if the long-haul space (SFO-TPE) had not also been available. Too risky this close to departure IMO.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
An update . . . Have been watching for BR to open I on TPE-BKK so I could do the all-BR, all lie-flat itinerary, and yesterday (less than 4 days to departure) they finally opened space on the 8:30 a.m. flight. I was again able to make the change using "change flights" but this time it was messier and the TG segment remained in my record and new BR segment initially showed on BR website as "not ticketed." However the record now appears to have been cleaned up and I'm ticketed with confirmed seats.

I would not have tried this if the long-haul space (SFO-TPE) had not also been available. Too risky this close to departure IMO.
Do you prefer Eva or Thai for the BKK-TPE route. I’ve always done Thai (lie-flat as well but 2/2/2 as opposed to Eva’s 1/2/1), so it’d be nice to know why you pick Eva? Is it just seat layout?
Old May 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Do you prefer Eva or Thai for the BKK-TPE route. I’ve always done Thai (lie-flat as well but 2/2/2 as opposed to Eva’s 1/2/1), so it’d be nice to know why you pick Eva? Is it just seat layout?
TG is angle-flat, not lie-flat. Also, you have to change terminals for TG, whereas BR is all T2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.