Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 4:10 pm

Interesting thanks for the reply. No workaround I suppose? Ie calling united....?

of course lifemiles doesn’t see the three leg options at all.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Wait and see if UA changes their mind. But the longhaul J may disappear in the meantime.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Mickchicago
Why does the J award always have such terrible connections??
It has to do with ORD.

FWIW - many pax actually purchase F/J fare or upgrade ex-ORD. On that basis, UA would be stupid to have the seat available for award.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If I search for availability in economy from ORD to SYD the UA engine gives me availability nearly every day one stop through LAX or IAH.

However if I search in J, the engine only gives me 2 stop options, with both domestic legs in economy! This is the case nearly every day.

Im happy to do the first leg in economy but don’t want to fly via Omaha or likewise. Why does the J award always have such terrible connections??
Interesting thanks for the reply. No workaround I suppose? Ie calling united....?

Try this
make the economy award booking (with preferred and then immediately call and ask to change the SYD segment to business saver award (no fee if done in 24 hours.
If the agent can not do, ask for supervisor hep -- if still no, then cancel -- again no fee if done in 24 hours.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:37 pm

Excllent will try thanks!!!

seems incredulous that this two legged sheninagans literally is present on every day in June.

Mind you im also thankful that united has opened up three seats on nearly every day on the long leg in business!!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jsloan
Or, if you'd prefer both to fly and to use UA miles, you could book BRU-FCO in Y for 8K miles. (CDG-FCO would be more unless there's some *A carrier that flies it nonstop). European business class is just coach with a blocked middle seat. Personally, I think you've hit on the right strategy -- if you see award space that fits your needs, book it as it becomes available, even if that means multiple one-ways.

The Excursionist Perk is great for many things, but intra-European J isn't one of them.
Thanks for the responses. One of the reasons I was hoping to maintain the business class was for the luggage. What would be the luggage charge for two bags if I booked separately? I guess it varies by airline, but with business class on *A, does it include a baggage allowance?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Thanks for the responses. One of the reasons I was hoping to maintain the business class was for the luggage. What would be the luggage charge for two bags if I booked separately? I guess it varies by airline, but with business class on *A, does it include a baggage allowance?
Fair enough. There is no alliance-wide standard for luggage allowance for business class passengers. I've yet to run into an airline that doesn't provide a baggage allowance for business class, but you'd want to check on a case-by-case basis.

Ultimately, I expect it would be cheaper to pay for the luggage than to pay for the change fees resulting from trying to piece together an Excursionist Perk itinerary from separate one-way tickets, but YMMV. I'd also consider taking the train, as opposed to flying, for intra-European legs, but that's a broader discussion.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
I am booked today in J with points on LX JFK-ZRH. I am allowed 2 bags in J and 1 extra with the *Alliance Gold. LX's website shows me with 0 luggage allowance and tells me to pay in advance for any checked baggage to avoid higher costs. Phone agent at LX has no answer and says that UA should put a note in the record with your status. UA says its in your record and not sure why they can't see it. I printed out all paperwork showing my allowance plus the extra bag from Swiss website. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by eyuro
I am booked today in J with points on LX JFK-ZRH. I am allowed 2 bags in J and 1 extra with the *Alliance Gold. LX's website shows me with 0 luggage allowance and tells me to pay in advance for any checked baggage to avoid higher costs. Phone agent at LX has no answer and says that UA should put a note in the record with your status. UA says its in your record and not sure why they can't see it. I printed out all paperwork showing my allowance plus the extra bag from Swiss website. Any other ideas?
Should be fine. The OLCI of many airlines are notorious for miscalculating the amount of checked bags allowed, particularly when making an award booking. I once did an OLCI on an AC flight where I needed to check a bag in and was told I needed to fork up $25 to check that bag. However, as a *A Gold travelling in economy I knew better and just answered 0 to the number of checked bags to complete the check in without paying the fee. When I got to the airport I went to the business class check in desk, showed my boarding pass and said I want to check a bag. Agent took the bag, tagged it and check it through no questions asked.

I expect the exact same thing will happen to you.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eyuro
If you are relying on the third bag (and also just good advice in general), bring your physical UA*G card when you check in.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat
How do cancellations work with round trip award tickets if I already took the first leg? Am I unable to cancel the second leg? Or can I still modify the second leg?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godbreath
How do cancellations work with round trip award tickets if I already took the first leg? Am I unable to cancel the second leg? Or can I still modify the second leg?
You should be able to modify it, but you will not be able to redeposit the miles if you choose to cancel it. That is, there's no way to turn a roundtrip award into a one-way award after travel has commenced.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
You should be able to modify it, but you will not be able to redeposit the miles if you choose to cancel it. That is, there's no way to turn a roundtrip award into a one-way award after travel has commenced.
Thanks that makes sense. Any experience of how this would work with the excursionist perk? if i booked A-B, B-C (excursionist), C-A, and then I fly the first two segments and change my last segment to C-D, violating the excursionist requirement. (I'm not planning on doing so, but just wondering if this is a loophole in United's system or not)
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by godbreath
Thanks that makes sense. Any experience of how this would work with the excursionist perk? if i booked A-B, B-C (excursionist), C-A, and then I fly the first two segments and change my last segment to C-D, violating the excursionist requirement. (I'm not planning on doing so, but just wondering if this is a loophole in United's system or not)
At best, you'd be charged the difference between what you paid and the sum total of A-B, B-C, and C-A. I don't have a ticket in that state, but I do have one where I've only flown A-B; as a test, I tried changing C-A to C-D. When I got to the summary page, that's what I asked for -- the difference between what I paid and the sum total of the three one-ways.

It's also possible that the system simply couldn't make the change once you'd gotten that far into the trip.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I booked an award ticket CMH-ORD-YVR, for a relative. The ORD-YVR leg is on AC metal and has an AC flight #. Buckets are XN CMH-ORD on UX and X ORD-YVR on AC.

The original booking has a > 5 hour layover in ORD. I now see a later flight CMH-ORD in XN has opened up. But there is no more X availability on AC to YVR.

Can I get a change on the first leg to shorten the connection time at ORD, and keep the second leg as booked? Or does there have to be award space still open on both legs to make such a change? And is there a charge for such changes as 1K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.