Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Looks like there is saver inventory on MSQ-VIE-LIS-MIA (70k for business class) which you could combine with UA MIA-EWR-SDF (23k for economy), but it would get you into SDF the night of the 13th.
Appreciate the idea.Don't see this on UA, but it's a bit too complicated.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
And if you have the time, you should book TPE-KSA, KSA-MAJ, MAJ-TPE and spend a few days in KSA. Probably the most beautiful island I've seen in my life...
KSA indeed looks amazing and that’s what we planned initially. Two nights in MAJ and another three in KSA. But a friend would be in Guam so we decided to join them in Guam instead and leave KSA for next trip.

Was pretty lucky and was helped by two very helpful UA agents. Initially booked XN TPE-MAJ, MAJ-GUM and GUM-TPE for 35K. Called back the next day and changed to I NGO-GUM while waitlisting on the Hopper for an extra 10K.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond
XN (saver award) inventory question

Living at a small airport I always have to make a connection to go just about anywhere. So it used to be simple to book a "saver award" (the lowest mileage level).... if you could see all the individual segments inventory and they had X or XN inventory, then the lowest level award (eg 25K miles round trip for a domestic round trop) would show up as available. But now often I see two logical connecting flights that have XN inventory when viewed individually, but when I search the awards they come up with a hgher level number of miles required, and the system often offers up a horrible alternate connection (5 hours connecting time) with the lower level award level, even though the most logical connecting flights had XN inventory when viewed seperately (and they dont show XN when viewed together). Whats going on here? Is this a new ruse to just extract extra miles out of us all, or a bug in the system? Anyone else notice this?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petes
Whats going on here? Is this a new ruse to just extract extra miles out of us all, or a bug in the system? Anyone else notice this?
It’s not a ruse, per se, but it’s definitely not a bug in the system. What you’re seeing is married segment availability. United uses it on all flights, not just awards, but it’s more obvious on award flights because you know what bucket you’re looking for and what an award should cost.

Basically, UA keeps an entirely separate set of inventory — independent of the underlying flights — for most valid domestic connections (transfer time less than 4 hours). Awards use a different transfer rule, which is why you’re seeing the XN peek through on the longer transfers.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... But now often I see two logical connecting flights that have XN inventory when viewed individually, but when I search the awards they come up with a hgher level number of miles required, and the system often offers up a horrible alternate connection (5 hours connecting time) with the lower level award level, even though the most logical connecting flights had XN inventory when viewed seperately (and they dont show XN when viewed together). Whats going on here? Is this a new ruse to just extract extra miles out of us all, or a bug in the system? Anyone else notice this?
There have been a number of changes over the past couple of years to address concerns that UA had with abuses of the system, unfortunately it has made it significantly more difficult to find decent routings. In your case, with multiple segments needed to get to many locations, the system gives up to easily.

One suggestion is just do one-way (OW) searches and not round-trips (RT). With RTs the number of potential routings would naturally go up but UA is capping the searches at some fixed number (200?). By trying OW those searches are just focused on a smaller problems and can occasionally find better routing. You can then book as two OWs or try to call have have the two valid OWs convert to a RT (YMMV on the success of this)

The separate one-ways does mean no excursion segments but again an agent might be able to build the RT and add the excursion.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
But now often I see two logical connecting flights that have XN inventory when viewed individually, but when I search the awards they come up with a hgher level number of miles required, and the system often offers up a horrible alternate connection (5 hours connecting time) with the lower level award level, even though the most logical connecting flights had XN inventory when viewed seperately (and they dont show XN when viewed together). Whats going on here? Is this a new ruse to just extract extra miles out of us all, or a bug in the system? Anyone else notice this?
As jsloan notes, this is exactly what UA intends, and it applies to revenue flights as well. In some ways it might even make logical sense; UA doesn't want to sell two flights for the price of one when the shorter segments might command the same fare. (It make sense in revenue markets as well, since A-C might have a lower fare table than B-C, even if A-B-C is a legal routing. UA employs a married inventory block to stop a cheap A-C fare from cannibalizing sales on B-C; usually B is a hub. I'm seeing this all the time out of MSP over ORD and DEN, and it's more or less forcing me to abandon United. It's almost like a HIP check implemented with MSC.)

There actually is a bug here -- UA doesn't intend to offer the longer connections either. On a normal (non-award) domestic fare, a connection longer than 4 hours forces a fare break, so the inventory logic is no longer marrying the segments for the longer connections.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I completely forgot about the excursionist perk and need to add it to an upcoming award trip. I stupidly did it as two one way awards. My first one way has no more availability. My second one way still has available seats and I can price it out correctly online using add destination feature online to the first one way award. My question is how long does it take to have the miles recredited to your account? Would this be better to do on the phone? I don’t have the miles to cover adding it to the first one way then canceling the second.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by pong1092
I completely forgot about the excursionist perk and need to add it to an upcoming award trip. I stupidly did it as two one way awards. My first one way has no more availability. My second one way still has available seats and I can price it out correctly online using add destination feature online to the first one way award. My question is how long does it take to have the miles recredited to your account? Would this be better to do on the phone? I don’t have the miles to cover adding it to the first one way then canceling the second.
I'm not sure it works like that (one of the experts will be along shortly to confirm). I thought the excursionist perk can only be applied to a return ticket, with the excursionist flight pricing out at 0 miles. I have never heard of adding it to a one-way ticket (even if you have a corresponding different one-way ticket to go home), nor have I heard of paying for it then being recredited.
I'd love it if what you're trying could work. I have 2 one ways myself I could add an excursionist flight too, however, I bought two one way on the basis of NOT being able to add an excursionist flight. It was more important for me to secure the 2 long haul separate tickets in case inventory disappeared (it did). I currently plan to pay cash for my needed "excursionist" flight.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pong1092
Would this be better to do on the phone?
You should try to do it on the phone, absolutely; preferably during the hours that the MileagePlus Service Center (MPSC) is open (the last I heard, it was 7 AM to midnight, US Central time).

If your first one-way is on United, this should be pretty straightforward. If your first one-way is not on United, the agent may tell you it’s impossible. In that case, if you’re feeling adventurous, you can ask the agent to cancel the second one-way and have the miles re-deposited immediately. They should appear in your account while the agent is on the phone; if the agent can’t do it, you’d call the MPSC. They can definitely do it. Then, you can try to make the change online.

It is extremely important to re-verify your re-issued ticket with the operating carriers of your flights after making changes, especially if you do them online. You need to see the following:

1 - You previously had a ticket number starting with 016 for the first ticket
2 - You now have a different ticket number starting with 016 for the new, combined ticket. If you still see the same number when you look at your receipt, call United and ask them for the ticket number. If it’s still the same as your original 016 ticket, tell them that you made a change and it needs to be reissued. (Normally, they’d notice something was wrong before you had to tell them this).
3 - The new 016 ticket number has to match what each operating airline has in their system. Some airlines show the ticket number on their websites when you look up a reservation; for others, you need to find a number and call them. If they have the old ticket number, you need to give them the new one.

If the ticket number is not updated in the partner airlines’ systems, your reservations are likely to be cancelled, because it’s going to look to that airline that you don’t have a valid ticket.

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
I thought the excursionist perk can only be applied to a return ticket, with the excursionist flight pricing out at 0 miles.
You’re correct, but OP is suggesting converting the two one-way tickets into a round-trip ticket, which would then be eligible for the Excursionist Perk.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:14 am

So of course availability on the second one way has gone away this morning. So its a non issue now. I will continue to monitor it. Just to clear it up now that there is no availability it was

First One Way was IAH-SYD in business
Second One Way was AUK-SFO-IAH in business
The free excursionist perk that priced out free for last night was Melbourne to Queenstown in Economy.

So will just have to buy a ticket later on if space never opens up. Decent mistake on my part since MEL-ZQN is about 200 bucks per person. Oh well.

Thanks for the help
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If it's any consolation, about A$120 of that is taxes that you'd have to pay anyway.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by findark
If it's any consolation, about A$120 of that is taxes that you'd have to pay anyway.
Haha. Thanks that does help a little bit.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MP 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan

It’s not a ruse, per se, but it’s definitely not a bug in the system. What you’re seeing is married segment availability. United uses it on all flights, not just awards, but it’s more obvious on award flights because you know what bucket you’re looking for and what an award should cost.

Basically, UA keeps an entirely separate set of inventory — independent of the underlying flights — for most valid domestic connections (transfer time less than 4 hours). Awards use a different transfer rule, which is why you’re seeing the XN peek through on the longer transfers.
This really messes us up. I can almost never get a decent flight anymore that involved a connection without either paying way up (like 25k or even 32.5K for a one way ticket with a connection, or else I have to book some absurd connection (5 hours or more connections, or double connection) and then play the obnoxious standby game, all this while when the individual flights on the logical connection I want show up with saver award inventory. Anybody have any idea if this is going to go away with all the changes coming up in November?

Never had this issue until the past year or so....
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody have any idea if this is going to go away with all the changes coming up in November?
If anything, expect it to get worse. This is clearly intentional on United's part.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 9:04 pm

EF says it doesn't monitor everyday awards. Is there any way to do this? I find it unbelievable I'm looking at a 30 day window which covers 60 flights and there's ONE available at the everyday price and the other 59 aren't available at ANY price.

Please UA, take my 50k miles for a domestic first seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.