Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, they don't. Expanded availability of saver awards for credit-card holders is limited to economy. It's possible that last-seat availability of everyday awards is included with the credit card; I'm not really sure.
It is (was?). Expanded Saver Economy availability is the benefit which was never published - last-seat in all cabins is the official benefit.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I'm trying to change the last leg of my excursionist trip from ORD-DTW to LGA-AZO. If I go into my ticket and try to change it, the LGA-AZO flight I want doesn't show up (9am-137pm). If I try to book a standalone award ticket, it shows up no problem. Not sure if this is excursionist related or not, just thought it was odd and a bit frustrating.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BThumme
Not sure if this is excursionist related or not, just thought it was odd and a bit frustrating.
Not per se, no. What you're seeing is a reflection of the fact that flight changes use a different system than new bookings do. Behind the scenes, I think it actually searches for a new itinerary using the flights you've already flown, or something strange like that.

You'll likely need to call to make that change.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: UA MP 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by petes
Living at a small airport I always have to make a connection to go just about anywhere. So it used to be simple to book a "saver award" (the lowest mileage level).... if you could see all the individual segments inventory and they had X or XN inventory, then the lowest level award (eg 25K miles round trip for a domestic round trop) would show up as available. But now often I see two logical connecting flights that have XN inventory when viewed individually, but when I search the awards they come up with a hgher level number of miles required, and the system often offers up a horrible alternate connection (5 hours connecting time) with the lower level award level, even though the most logical connecting flights had XN inventory when viewed seperately (and they dont show XN when viewed together). Whats going on here? Is this a new ruse to just extract extra miles out of us all, or a bug in the system? Anyone else notice this?
To futher illustrate this, today I was trying to book saver award inventory on a one way from Seattle to Newark. There were many saver (12.5K mile) award itinerary's available routing SEA-SFO-EWR, but in all cases they had 4 hour on longer layovers. The more logical ~1 hour connecting options were available for 31 or 32.5K miles. But the exasperating thing is, in several cases both flights that made up a logical ~1 hour connection also appeared in the first or second segment of an available 12.5 mile award, but never both.

This is confusing, so case in point:
12.5K miles will get you this (>4 hours layover)
UA 698 SEA-SFO 9:55AM-12:14PM
UA 213 SFO-EWR 4:15PM-12:48AM

Or 12.5 miles will also get you this (over 5 hour layover)
UA 368 SEA-SFO 6:00AM-8:02AM
UA 2239 SFO-EWR 1:15PM-10:04PM

But if you want to do what you would just have done if you bought the ticket with money and take the two flights that give you the one hour layover (below) its 31K miles.
UA 698 SEA-SFO 9:55AM-12:14PM
UA 2239 SFO-EWR 1:15-10:04PM

There are numerous other situations like this I've noticed. Every other 12.5K mile routing available in this search had the long layoevers, while the 1 hour ones were all priced at 31 or 32.5k miles Why do we have to endure a 4 hour layover to get a saver award inventory? I did try to call and have them do this manually and they say they used to be able to do this, but not any more.

So it seems to me that its just a ruse to make you use more miles up if you dont want to sit around at the airport for 4 hours or more, how does this make sense....come on United,...

PS. I can book that 1 hour connection using the multi-leg search, searching for SEA-SFO, then SFO-EWR for 22.5K miles, yet another example how this makes no sense!

Last edited by petes; Jul 11, 2019 at 7:03 am Reason: added the PS
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petes
To futher illustrate this, today I was trying to book saver award inventory on a one way from Seattle to Newark. There were many saver (12.5K mile) award itinerary's available routing SEA-SFO-EWR, but in all cases they had 4 hour on longer layovers. The more logical ~1 hour connecting options were available for 31 or 32.5K miles. But the exasperating thing is, in several cases both flights that made up a logical ~1 hour connection also appeared in the first or second segment of an available 12.5 mile award, but never both.

This is confusing, so case in point:
12.5K miles will get you this (>4 hours layover)
[...]

Or 12.5 miles will also get you this (over 5 hour layover)
[...]

But if you want to do what you would just have done if you bought the ticket with money and take the two flights that give you the one hour layover (below) its 31K miles.
[...]

There are numerous other situations like this I've noticed. Every other 12.5K mile routing available in this search had the long layoevers, while the 1 hour ones were all priced at 31 or 32.5k miles Why do we have to endure a 4 hour layover to get a saver award inventory? I did try to call and have them do this manually and they say they used to be able to do this, but not any more.

So it seems to me that its just a ruse to make you use more miles up if you dont want to sit around at the airport for 4 hours or more, how does this make sense....come on United,...
Actually I think findark explained what's going on pretty clearly in response to your earlier observation (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by findark
As jsloan notes, this is exactly what UA intends, and it applies to revenue flights as well. In some ways it might even make logical sense; UA doesn't want to sell two flights for the price of one when the shorter segments might command the same fare. (It make sense in revenue markets as well, since A-C might have a lower fare table than B-C, even if A-B-C is a legal routing. UA employs a married inventory block to stop a cheap A-C fare from cannibalizing sales on B-C; usually B is a hub. I'm seeing this all the time out of MSP over ORD and DEN, and it's more or less forcing me to abandon United. It's almost like a HIP check implemented with MSC.)

There actually is a bug here -- UA doesn't intend to offer the longer connections either. On a normal (non-award) domestic fare, a connection longer than 4 hours forces a fare break, so the inventory logic is no longer marrying the segments for the longer connections.
Basically they want your journey to cost 31k-32.5k, but there is a bug that means you can get it for 12.5k if you accept the long layover.

(And on another note, complain too much about this and it might be fixed — just not the way you want!)
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Actually I think findark explained what's going on pretty clearly in response to your earlier observation (bolding mine):

Basically they want your journey to cost 31k-32.5k, but there is a bug that means you can get it for 12.5k if you accept the long layover.

(And on another note, complain too much about this and it might be fixed — just not the way you want!)
But it sure will be spun like we do. "Hey, we want to help you get where you're going, faster then ever - no more long layovers!" Maybe even market it against AA's awful, awful connections (very frequently overnights) on award tickets
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by fumje

Interesting on the long layover "bug". I wonder if I hit this on an international award that gave me a saver J award (domestic leg in Y) that has a 7 hour layover in ORD. Of course, I'm planning on trying to get that connection reduced if there is a schedule change.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:09 am

I'm trying to book the following saver J award.

UA/TK
MFR-DEN-IAH-IST-BUD

Using the search, I'm able to find saver J availability on both of these segments: MFR-DEN-IAH-IST and then IST-BUD. The layover in IST is 1:25 and both flights are on TK so that shouldn't be an issue. It sounds like this might be a case where even though there is availability, the search function is not allowing to book the full MFR-DEN-IAH-IST-BUD on one saver award.

From reading this thread, it sounds like the suggestion is to book MFR-DEN-IAH-IST and then call to see if IST-BUD can be added within 24 hours. Has anyone had success for a similar situation involving partner award availability?

The other option would be to try to book as excursionist perk with IST-BUD as my free leg and then booking a US domestic flight as my last leg. I did try this as well using the search and it wouldn't show J availability for MFR-DEN-IAH-IST.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jacquespluto
From reading this thread, it sounds like the suggestion is to book MFR-DEN-IAH-IST and then call to see if IST-BUD can be added within 24 hours. Has anyone had success for a similar situation involving partner award availability?
Yes, but it's difficult. I recommend framing it as a change of hear as to your destination, and be prepared to HUCA (never escalate requests like this).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, but it's difficult. I recommend framing it as a change of hear as to your destination, and be prepared to HUCA (never escalate requests like this).
It may also help to have status with United, although there's no reason not to try it as a general member. Just remember that you have 24 hours to cancel for a full refund, if you're not able to get an agent to help.

I would not try to call to get an agent to do MFR-IST / IST-BUD / SFO-MFR or something like that. They're likely to refuse on the grounds that it seems abusive, even though it's technically within the rules. Sadly, it's not uncommon for multi-city search to return fewer results than one-way searches.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jacquespluto
I'm trying to book the following saver J award.

UA/TK
MFR-DEN-IAH-IST-BUD

Using the search, I'm able to find saver J availability on both of these segments: MFR-DEN-IAH-IST and then IST-BUD. The layover in IST is 1:25 and both flights are on TK so that shouldn't be an issue. It sounds like this might be a case where even though there is availability, the search function is not allowing to book the full MFR-DEN-IAH-IST-BUD on one saver award.

The other option would be to try to book as excursionist perk with IST-BUD as my free leg and then booking a US domestic flight as my last leg. I did try this as well using the search and it wouldn't show J availability for MFR-DEN-IAH-IST.
Have you verified that IAH-IST-BUD is available? TK is pretty heavy handed in their use of married inventory..
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:54 am

Not per se, no. What you're seeing is a reflection of the fact that flight changes use a different system than new bookings do. Behind the scenes, I think it actually searches for a new itinerary using the flights you've already flown, or something strange like that.

You'll likely need to call to make that change.
I got chewed out by a supervisor who said I wasn't going to be allowed to fly and my ticket needed to be cancelled. Here's what I had booked:

IAH-ORD-MBS

INN-FRA (the excursion)

(the immediate next day) ORD-DTW (originally, I wanted to change this to LGA-AZO).

I was told since I wasn't flying to Europe, my excursionist portion was not allowed, I should not have been allowed to book it, my ticket wasn't valid (I had an eticket number and everything). This was with a supervisor.

So not too happy about that, as I didn't want my ticket cancelled, but it has been.

As a point, I found out the issue (on my own) - there appears to be something with the timing. The flight I wanted for INN-FRA was 1025am-noonish. I found if I moved that flight up to 6am, the LGA-AZO flights I wanted then showed up. Or, if I moved the INN-FRA flight back a day, that also worked. So it looks like the system had some type of time feature between the legs that needed to be accommodated.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 11, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Have you verified that IAH-IST-BUD is available? TK is pretty heavy handed in their use of married inventory..
IAH-IST-BUD is not available. Isn't the married inventory issue the opposite where the full itinerary is available, but not each segment? So IAH-IST-BUD available, but IST-BUD not available?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was told since I wasn't flying to Europe, my excursionist portion was not allowed, I should not have been allowed to book it, my ticket wasn't valid (I had an eticket number and everything). This was with a supervisor.
You escalated a question about an itinerary like that?

It was never UA's intent that bookings like you described be allowed, even though they are within the rules. It's too late now, but if I had known the full situation, I would have included a warning originally.

So not too happy about that, as I didn't want my ticket cancelled, but it has been.
If your ticket has been cancelled, you may have recourse with the DOT, but that may just make things worse. UA is likely to say it was an "error," which they've used successfully to get out of ticketing obligations in the past, and then put more energy into changing the rules to disallow what you're trying to do.

So it looks like the system had some type of time feature between the legs that needed to be accommodated.
I'm surprised it's that sophisticated. I would have expected it to let you book anything that didn't overlap.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

You escalated a question about an itinerary like that?

It was never UA's intent that bookings like you described be allowed, even though they are within the rules. It's too late now, but if I had known the full situation, I would have included a warning originally.
No worries on it. I was reading about the excursionist perk on a couple very prominent travel blogs, that flat out recommended it. I thought it was well within the rules. I even went over the rules line by line and didn't see anything against it.

That's what even made me consider it. But with that said, FRA-INN is only 8k miles, and I don't even need the last part of an award ticket, so it's not a big loss.

It may have been discussed here before, these are the currently displayed rules from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...vel/types.html:

The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America. -no problem, My journey begins in NA, my travel is within a region outside NA)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates. -it does, USA
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region. it is, Europe
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it. The free ticket is 8k. I paid 12.5k + 10 k so the 8k is free.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.-not applicable
From what they've said, they need a disclaimer on point two that says the origin and destination of the free ticket must be within the same region that is the destination of where travel originates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.