FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:04 pm
BThumme

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You escalated a question about an itinerary like that?

It was never UA's intent that bookings like you described be allowed, even though they are within the rules. It's too late now, but if I had known the full situation, I would have included a warning originally.
No worries on it. I was reading about the excursionist perk on a couple very prominent travel blogs, that flat out recommended it. I thought it was well within the rules. I even went over the rules line by line and didn't see anything against it.

That's what even made me consider it. But with that said, FRA-INN is only 8k miles, and I don't even need the last part of an award ticket, so it's not a big loss.

It may have been discussed here before, these are the currently displayed rules from https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...vel/types.html:

The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America. -no problem, My journey begins in NA, my travel is within a region outside NA)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates. -it does, USA
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region. it is, Europe
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it. The free ticket is 8k. I paid 12.5k + 10 k so the 8k is free.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.-not applicable
From what they've said, they need a disclaimer on point two that says the origin and destination of the free ticket must be within the same region that is the destination of where travel originates.