Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
To answer my own question, several hours later I got a notice of "change in reservation". Had to look very carefully to see that one of the flights is now arriving 10 minutes later. Will United reissue tickets for any minor schedule change?
Not unless they have to, but I can totally believe it would trigger re-sending the receipt.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan

Not unless they have to, but I can totally believe it would trigger re-sending the receipt.
They did reissue tickets (i.e. new ticket numbers) for this 10 minute arrival time change. Clearly they felt they had to for some reason.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
They did reissue tickets (i.e. new ticket numbers) for this 10 minute arrival time change. Clearly they felt they had to for some reason.
OK. That’s unusual, and would generally only happen if something else changed. There’s no reason (that I can think of) that they should need to reissue the ticket just because of a time change. It wouldn’t terribly surprise me if UA had problems determining when they needed to reissue, though.

As long as all airlines involved have the new ticket numbers, you should be fine.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K/ Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Have you tried making the change online? I've been able to change several award tickets online when not all of the segments were available.
i didn’t think of that, but I just tried and that didn’t work either. That may be my best bet though to keep trying.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:18 pm
FTA

Are "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Chase Cardmember" tickets limited to 1 passenger per account?

I noticed searching for just 1 passenger results in numerous flights, and none of the results say only 1 ticket at this price. But none of these results appear when searching for 2 passengers.

And if you buy a ticket from the 1 passenger result and then redo the search, all of the previous search results disappear, not just the flight I just bought. So its not because that flight had 1 award seat left.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTA
Are "Exclusively available to you as a MileagePlus Chase Cardmember" tickets limited to 1 passenger per account?
No.

Originally Posted by FTA
I noticed searching for just 1 passenger results in numerous flights, and none of the results say only 1 ticket at this price. But none of these results appear when searching for 2 passengers.
Examples? I didn’t even realize “1 tickets at this price” was a feature for award searches; I may not have paid enough attention.

Originally Posted by FTA
And if you buy a ticket from the 1 passenger result and then redo the search, all of the previous search results disappear, not just the flight I just bought. So its not because that flight had 1 award seat left.
UA can (and does) change availability at any time. It definitely isn’t specifically because you booked a seat into the last remaining “exclusive” seat. Again, examples would help.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:27 pm

"x tickets left at this price" is pretty common. At least for the dozens of searches I ran recently until I purchased 2 tickets last night that showed as "2 tickets available". Sure enough, once my flight was ticketed they were gone.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:34 pm
FTA

UA can (and does) change availability at any time.
Its definitely inentional, I tested it. Bought 1 ticket, redid the search, all the previous search results are now hidden. Cancel the ticket, wait a few minutes, sometimes have to logout and back in, and now all the previous results are back.

Maybe this only affects people without status?

1st leg - BNA to HET through ORD and PEK
2nd leg - PEK to SZX
3rd leg - HKG to BNA
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
"x tickets left at this price" is pretty common. At least for the dozens of searches I ran recently until I purchased 2 tickets last night that showed as "2 tickets available". Sure enough, once my flight was ticketed they were gone.
Oh, I don’t doubt it; I just don’t remember seeing it on award searches. Then again, I tend to tune it out like background noise anyway; it doesn’t mean what they want you to think it means. (Specifically: they can always open more inventory later). Its only purpose is to help push a potential customer to pull the trigger.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:59 pm

Oh, I don’t doubt it; I just don’t remember seeing it on award searches. Then again, I tend to tune it out like background noise anyway; it doesn’t mean what they want you to think it means. (Specifically: they can always open more inventory later). Its only purpose is to help push a potential customer to pull the trigger.
indeed. I'm sure most of us are conditioned to tune out that kind of thing. It seems to be rife on almost all travel related booking sites. While I know its BS, it certainly helped me click "Purchase" that little bit faster when I saw 2 tickets for exactly the flight i wanted 2 tickets for.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigE
But, now, I am unable to change that middle segment without paying the full price of the segment (i.e., no longer free).
I ran into this last year. I didn’t call, as it wasn’t an itinerary I particularly wanted UA to think about, so I paid the extra miles.

I was then pleasantly surprised; when I later had to change the last segment, it re-priced properly and ended up refunding me the extra miles. So, you might try changing both the Excursionist Perk and your return flight and see if that helps.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTA
Its definitely inentional, I tested it. Bought 1 ticket, redid the search, all the previous search results are now hidden. Cancel the ticket, wait a few minutes, sometimes have to logout and back in, and now all the previous results are back.

Maybe this only affects people without status?

1st leg - BNA to HET through ORD and PEK
2nd leg - PEK to SZX
3rd leg - HKG to BNA
In order to test it out, I’d need to know dates and class of service also. (I’m guessing economy since you mention the exclusive availability for saver awards).

It shouldn’t have anything to do with status, because the extra availability for status and the extra availability for credit card holders is identical.

It might have something to do with multi-city search, though, as that’s been historically messy.

It’s possible that there’s only one available seat on one of the partner airlines and it’s just not triggering that warning.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:27 pm
FTA

I’m guessing economy since you mention the exclusive availability for saver awards
United has this for business too.

Ran another test and United is definitely doing this intentionally.

Opened 3 windows, 2 logged into my account, 1 not.

Window 1, redeem award. During checkout it said last ticket at this price, but didn't say this on the flight selection screen.

Window 2, after redeeming with window 1 do the exact same search withOUT logging into account. Results show plenty of flights and the flight I booked now has 5 award seats left.

Window 3, logged into my account, same search, absolutely no availability.

Back to window 2 that is still open and on the flight selection page. Select flights, log into account at the very end, and suddenly it errors out.

Last edited by FTA; Jul 9, 2019 at 10:15 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FTA

Ran another test and United is definitely doing this intentionally.

Opened 3 windows, 2 logged into my account, 1 not. Bought the ticket with Window 1, during checkout it said last ticket at this price (but didn't say this on the flight selection screen)

Go to window 2 do the same exact search withOUT logging into my account and the search results page says 5 tickets left at this price.

Go to window 3, logged into my account, same search, absolutely no availability.

Go back to window 2 (not logged into account), select flight, then login and suddenly it errors out.
Interesting. I would have liked to see if you could have purchased a seat for that price using Window 2.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTA
No, they don't. Expanded availability of saver awards for credit-card holders is limited to economy. It's possible that last-seat availability of everyday awards is included with the credit card; I'm not really sure.

Originally Posted by FTA
Back to window 2 that is still open and on the flight selection page. Select flights, log into account at the very end, and suddenly it errors out.
Something else is going on here. How are you doing these searches? Are you using multi-city in all cases, or are you comparing multi-city results to one-way results?

I promise you, what you're describing is beyond the capability of UA to provide, even if they wanted to do that for some reason (why?).

Again, if you would care to provide some sample dates, I'd be happy to see if I can reproduce the issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.