Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Thanks for the suggestions. Good idea about trying to book IAD>FRA>BKK on what I want, and then perhaps I can call UA and say I want to add a segment before ticketing. That might be less of a challenge than trying to explain how to book the whole thing. We'll see.
Incorrect answer posted.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 5:54 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
If I want to fly pvg-iad on an award ticket, but UA website keeps routing me pvg-tyo-iad, can I call to book pvg-ist/fra-iad for the same price as the automatically priced pvg-tyo-iad?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluegatorade
If I want to fly pvg-iad on an award ticket, but UA website keeps routing me pvg-tyo-iad, can I call to book pvg-ist/fra-iad for the same price as the automatically priced pvg-tyo-iad?
Not generally, no. If a routing doesn't come up with a simple origin to destination search, it will normally be priced as multiple one-way awards -- North Asia to Europe + Europe to North America, in this case.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:24 am

First time international award booking

Could use some help.

Have a business trip planned 1st week of June. 100% certain of arrival and departure locations, like most of my typical work trips, everything in the middle is unknown. Challenge is the Mrs is coming with.

I know that the stopover flights are free, just wondering how the best way to book this a little in advance is.

Details- US->LHR on a Sunday, Need to get to OSL Wednesday night. OSL->US the following sunday. Co-Workers have indicated we may be going to Paris and Brussels to visit customers, very tentative.

If I book US->LHR->OSL->US Can I change my award flight from LHR->OSL to CDG->OSL or BRU->OSL for my wife or is it locked in ?? My company would take care of my changes and everything so completely not worried about that part.

I'm 1K, not GS.
Also- I have to stick to UA or LH for GPU redemption (on my flight) correct?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
You can't redeem GPU's on award flights. So, pick whomever you want.

If everything in unknown, you best be booking these trips as one-ways unless you really want to take advantage of the stopover. Once you depart on your first leg, you're locked in if you booked this as a roundtrip with the stopover.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:31 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goduke7
.... I know that the stopover flights are free, just wondering how the best way to book this a little in advance is. ...
The concept of "stopovers" no longer exists (since Oct 2016). A replacement alternative is the " free excursion perk" This is how you would get between LHR & OSL

....If I book US->LHR->OSL->US Can I change my award flight from LHR->OSL to CDG->OSL or BRU->OSL for my wife or is it locked in ?? My company would take care of my changes and everything so completely not worried about that part. ...
Change award segments on itins with partner flights can be problematic. Will depend on availability and at time of change there needs to be availability on ALL segments, even the unchanged ones. The last bit can be a problem for unchanged partner segments. For UA operated segments there is a manual workaround. So, yes award flights can be changed but it has gotten more difficult, especially if partner flights are involved.

....Also- I have to stick to UA or LH for GPU redemption (on my flight) correct? ....
Yes, for your paid flight, would not apply to the award ticket.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 25, 2018 at 9:01 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
You can't redeem GPU's on award flights. So, pick whomever you want.
I doubt OP is volunteering his miles for a work trip. OP: Yes, you need UA or LH metal to use GPUs, but note that (a) LH GPUs won't extend to cover connecting flights, and (b) LH GPUs can't be used on W or V fares (or the cheapest PE bucket).

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Once you depart on your first leg, you're locked in if you booked this as a roundtrip with the stopover.
This isn't true. You can absolutely change the award after travel has commenced. What you can't do is try to convert from a roundtrip to a one-way flight and refund the difference. Thus, changing from LHR->OSL to CDG->OSL is possible, but it may be necessary to revalidate space on the return flight at the same time that you change the excursionist perk. UA-operated flights will be fine; partner-operated flights may not -- reports vary on whether or not agents can hold existing space or if they need new award inventory.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As non-GS, you're going to find it extremely difficult to match paid and award flights for the overwater segments, particularly if you're looking for business class (saver and/or GPU upgrade). If you must travel on specific days, it's going to be even harder.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I doubt OP is volunteering his miles for a work trip. OP: Yes, you need UA or LH metal to use GPUs, but note that (a) LH GPUs won't extend to cover connecting flights, and (b) LH GPUs can't be used on W or V fares (or the cheapest PE bucket).

This isn't true. You can absolutely change the award after travel has commenced. What you can't do is try to convert from a roundtrip to a one-way flight and refund the difference. Thus, changing from LHR->OSL to CDG->OSL is possible, but it may be necessary to revalidate space on the return flight at the same time that you change the excursionist perk. UA-operated flights will be fine; partner-operated flights may not -- reports vary on whether or not agents can hold existing space or if they need new award inventory.
I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying that the rule is you cannot convert from a roundtrip to a one-way and refund.

The OP said international award help! So...I assumed award!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:21 am

I recently booked an award via Aeroplan on Egypt Air JFK-CAI-JNB. My wife is a 1K and has plenty of UA miles, but for some strange reason, UA couldn't see the award availability in J for the CAI-JNB segment. Both AC and SQ could see it. Has anyone experienced something similar? Any rationale? I would assume that all partners should have equal access to Egypt Air award space...
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bquinif
I recently booked an award via Aeroplan on Egypt Air JFK-CAI-JNB. My wife is a 1K and has plenty of UA miles, but for some strange reason, UA couldn't see the award availability in J for the CAI-JNB segment. Both AC and SQ could see it. Has anyone experienced something similar? Any rationale? I would assume that all partners should have equal access to Egypt Air award space...
There have been a ton of reports lately about award space available through other *A programs not showing on UA. Best guess is that it's a UA IT fail of some kind.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:35 am

Good to know. Not the biggest problem in the world in this case, as AC charged nominally fewer miles, and we had Amex points at the ready. Obviously would have been nice to take advantage of free changes with 1K status, though. Hopefully will be a moot point.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
I doubt OP is volunteering his miles for a work trip. ....
In rare situations, compensation can be grossed up to cover potential travel. In these situations, an occasional use of personal miles for a work trip can be a money-saver.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Datapoint for standby with United on an Aeroplan award ticket, you can totally do it and nothing will break.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Quick question. Is Colombia (BOG specifically) ever considered Central America for the purpose of an award redemption? I have a Central America-Southern South America routing that is only charging 20k miles one way, and if I read the award chart right, the only way it should be that price is if it's direct or via Central American only. The last leg is on Avianca through BOG. Thoughts?

Chris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.