Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
EZE-IAH-LAX on award ticket. Can I easily change IAH to LAX leg?

Used easy saver award so we are Confirmed in Polaris to IAH.
​​​​​​
Currently on a 7 hour layover and wait list for F to LAX

What are the policies for itinerary changes and can I make them at any time

I'm wondering if there are charges incurred to. Change to earlier flight.

I understand the wait list policy for the flight we are. Confirmed on.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caseminole
What are the policies for itinerary changes and can I make them at any time
Since they are both UA flights, you should be able to change the IAH-LAX segment if there's saver award availability. You would have to pay the applicable award change fee. See Award Ticketing Fees

Changes on day of departure would be based on same day change/standby rules.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Since they are both UA flights, you should be able to change the IAH-LAX segment if there's saver award availability. You would have to pay the applicable award change fee. See Award Ticketing Fees
Is that no longer the case for US segments on partner awards?

I've got a UA X segment connecting to OZ O segment, am I going to have hassle grabbing different UA X or I space?
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Is that no longer the case for US segments on partner awards?

I've got a UA X segment connecting to OZ O segment, am I going to have hassle grabbing different UA X or I space?
You may have a problem changing flights if there is no current availability on the OZ segment. Depends on the agent's ability/willingness to make a manual change.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I think they'll wait-list I space on your current flight. Different flight I or X without open O on the OZ segment will be tough as indicated above. Also, a note of warning, there are reports on these forums of lost seat on the partner segment upon agent's failed attempt to change the ticket where partner inventory is no longer available.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Will UA sell this award routing?

Hi - I know AA does not allow award bookings from North America to SE Asia via the Atlantic. Does UA have a similar rule?

I'm trying to get an agent to sell me: IAD>FRA (LH), FRA>BKK (TG), BKK>DPS (TG) and she wants to charge 180K+ miles rather than 90K for a one-way business. It's not because saver awards are not available on the flights I want. I can see them when I search each segment. Agent seems to think that she has to price all the segments separately and add that up for a total. At UA.com, I can see IAD to DPS via the Atlantic on flights I don't want and it's pricing at 90K, so it seems it's OK to do this and I just need to get the agent to understand that.

Any suggestions on how to handle this type of booking? We want the LH to FRA to join up with people in FRA who will go with us to DPS and we'd like to all be on the same flight. Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
United will allow travel to South East Asia via TATL, especially from the East Coast of USA, on award tickets. But it is no longer possible to call agents and have them piece together awards. If you can't get United.com to offer the routing with searches, you are pretty much out of luck.

I would suggest playing around with the searches a bit and see if you can get it to pop up. Try multi-city to see if it will piece together as a single award. Try altering your start location, though with you already starting at a hub, I am not optimistic about that.

Good luck.

Final thought: Do the flights you want show up if you just IAD->BKK? Maybe you can get to BKK on the award and buy BKK->DPS separately?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
Thanks for the suggestions. Good idea about trying to book IAD>FRA>BKK on what I want, and then perhaps I can call UA and say I want to add a segment before ticketing. That might be less of a challenge than trying to explain how to book the whole thing. We'll see.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Matthew_DC
Thanks for the suggestions. Good idea about trying to book IAD>FRA>BKK on what I want, and then perhaps I can call UA and say I want to add a segment before ticketing. That might be less of a challenge than trying to explain how to book the whole thing. We'll see.
I would be surprised if they let you do that. The easiest (albeit more expensive) route to take would just be to book XXX-IAD as a standalone one-way ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:01 am

It's a legal routing but with UA's "enhanced" award booking rules it will only price as 90k if the computer returns it, since you can no longer piece together award itineraries.

goodeats21's suggestion is the best approach.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Excursionist Option in S. America

Hello. I have never used the excursionist option on a *A award paid for using UA MP miles. Having read the routing rules. I understand that with an award of 3 or more *A flights to a specific region an additional one way flight could be added without additional mileage redemption
Hence, with the following itinerary in saver economy it should require 40K miles plus taxes:
EWR-UIO-SAN CRISTOBAL (Galapagos) onto CUZ then back to EWR should price as 20K plus 20K with the San Cristobal to Cuzco "free" as an excursionist flight. Yet, the .bomb prices it as 20K +12.5K + 20K.
Have I misunderstood the excursionist option?
Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello. I have never used the excursionist option on a *A award paid for using UA MP miles. Having read the routing rules. I understand that with an award of 3 or more *A flights to a specific region an additional one way flight could be added without additional mileage redemption
Hence, with the following itinerary in saver economy it should require 40K miles plus taxes:
EWR-UIO-SAN CRISTOBAL (Galapagos) onto CUZ then back to EWR should price as 20K plus 20K with the San Cristobal to Cuzco "free" as an excursionist flight. Yet, the .bomb prices it as 20K +12.5K + 20K.
Have I misunderstood the excursionist option?
Thanks
1. That's a wise use of the excursionist perk
2. What routing is it giving you from SCY-CUZ? Are the connection points only in Northern South America?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
1. That's a wise use of the excursionist perk
2. What routing is it giving you from SCY-CUZ? Are the connection points only in Northern South America?
Thanks for support of my idea. SCY to CUZ either via BOG or PTY (Avianca or Copa). Does the PTY connection add the additional miles required?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cagcag
Thanks for support of my idea. SCY to CUZ either via BOG or PTY (Avianca or Copa). Does the PTY connection add the additional miles required?
Yes, PTY is what's screwing it up. The 0k option only will show up if your entire perk is within one region including connections, which really limits your options, unfortunately. It's an unpublished rule I've run into quite often.

However, SCY-GYE-BOG-CUZ should price out correctly if you can get it to show up...
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:22 am

Thanks for your prompt and thorough reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.