Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Fair enough. If I want to give a try to see what happens, what has greater likelihood of success to ultimately change to HKG-MUC-FRA-ORD (all LH F)?

HKG-MUC-ORD (with MUC-ORD in UA F)
HKG-MUC-ORD (with MUC-ORD in LH C)

Benefit to second option it is has no UA segments and is all LH, while the first option is entirely in F already. Not sure if it really makes a difference but want to maximize my chances of success with a phone agent or even potentially the online change engine.
I don't know that it matters, honestly. I'd probably try the all-LH itinerary myself, since it might seem like less of a change than UA F. But I don't know if it changes your chance of success at all.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
This is driving me nuts. Both flights I want have "XN" but together, using married segment logic, XN=0. So I can't book the ticket I want. I'm forced to take a 4+ hour layover in ORD. And because of that I'm now forced to pay double taxes on the ticket ($11.20 vs $5.60) just for the "privilege" of spending more hours than I want in ORD.

When I call the 1K line to get this booked they can't (or won't) force it. And, of course, if I book it as a multi-city I have to pay almost double the miles but only $5.60 in taxes. So frustrating.

-RM
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
I just got off the phone with 1K over the exact same issue. MTJ-DEN available XN for 10k, DEN-ORD available XN for 12.5k. Try and put together MTJ-DEN-ORD and it turns into 17.5k. Surely if XN is available on both flights it should be 12.5k. I am sure it didn't used to be this way. VERY annoying and seems to me to be a pretty decent sized point devaluation.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Are you sure it's ticketed properly? That can be an issue with online changes.
Yep, flew it two weeks ago. I was concerned about the ticketing, but called to get seat assignments and verify that it was ticketed after I made the change.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Award Australia Trip - Using the Excursion Perk

Please excuse me if this sounds basic, but I've never done a complex routing like this.

We're taking an award trip to Australia. Our flights will probably be:

EWR-IAH-SYD on UA
SYD-CNS on QF
CNS-ADL on JQ
ADL-MEL on QF
MEL-LAX-EWR on UA

Originally we were going to use the award miles for just the UA portions, but I was wondering if there is a way to use the excursion perk for this trip, even if it only covers one of the intra-AU legs.

I am aware that QF and JQ are not *A members.

If necessary, we can change the last two flights to ADL-SYD and SYD-XXX-EWR.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by phkc070408
We're taking an award trip to Australia. Our flights will probably be:

EWR-IAH-SYD on UA
SYD-CNS on QF
CNS-ADL on JQ
ADL-MEL on QF
MEL-LAX-EWR on UA

Originally we were going to use the award miles for just the UA portions, but I was wondering if there is a way to use the excursion perk for this trip, even if it only covers one of the intra-AU legs.

No the excursionist perk can only be used on an airline that is bookable with UA miles, and those carriers' flights are not bookable with UA miles.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408

As you state, UA has no redemption partners in Australia. You won't be able to use the Excursionist Perk. If you do an award search for two Australian cities, you won't get any results.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:38 pm

Unlikely scenario: but if you have other travel in a non-North-America region soon you could book a one-way ticket there using your excursionist perk. Like maybe you know you need a FRA-MRS leg coming up in the next 12 months or something.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
That’s what I suspected, but thought it was worth asking. Thanks all.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Unlikely scenario: but if you have other travel in a non-North-America region soon you could book a one-way ticket there using your excursionist perk. Like maybe you know you need a FRA-MRS leg coming up in the next 12 months or something.
Not really. This only works if the travel dates are between the outbound and the return. So, unless OP is planning to go back to Australia / New Zealand within the next 12 months, and can therefore nest the awards, there's no way to get a free one-way flight on this itinerary.

OP: If you'd like to replace a stop in Australia with one in New Zealand -- and you can find Air New Zealand award space -- that flight could use the perk. Of course, that's only helpful if you'd like to go to New Zealand.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Not really. This only works if the travel dates are between the outbound and the return. So, unless OP is planning to go back to Australia / New Zealand within the next 12 months, and can therefore nest the awards, there's no way to get a free one-way flight on this itinerary.
Huh. According to the published rules, a SFO-MEL // MEL-SFO // FRA-MRS itinerary should qualify for the FRA-MRS trip to be free. However, it looks like the booking logic on the united.com award booking search only give it for free if it's between the two paid legs. (Interestingly the week-long "calendar" at the top of the page shows the cheapest option for each day as 0 miles, but all the options for FRA-MRS cost at least 8k miles.)
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threeoh
Huh. According to the published rules, a SFO-MEL // MEL-SFO // FRA-MRS itinerary should qualify for the FRA-MRS trip to be free.
Nope -- you missed one rule: "Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates."
Old Mar 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Nope -- you missed one rule: "Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates."
You're right! My bad.

You could do SFO-MEL // MEL-SFO // FRA-MRS // LGA-ORD and get the FRA-MRS for free and pay for the other 3. The likelihood that this is useful is pretty low.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
reason is your flight is more than 2months out.
can only book dom japan awards within 2months..
This restriction obviously still applies to UAMP awards, but does anyone know why or whether it is limited to bookings on the website? With Lufthansa miles, flight wholly within Japan can be booked 12 months before departure (at 12k one-way, which is why I'd prefer UA).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:36 am

One way AAA-CCC shows availability in saver award (direct flight).

But if I were to book roundtrip flight with the free excursion perks (so i would be building multi city, with CCC-BBB, BBB-AAA, AAA- CCC) it would shows flight option in saver for CCC-BBB, BBB-AAA (free), but AAA-BBB would now show standard award only for that direct flight of AAA-CCC (despite the fact if you were to search one way, it would show saver availability, just not when you search it as part of multi city). CCC is in US, BBB and AAA are in Europe.

Any idea why this is the case?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 19, 2018 at 1:14 pm Reason: merged into master thread on award booking issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.