Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by jsloan
They're not going to IDB someone from J due to a coach oversell, so, yes, it makes a difference.

However, a no-status passenger with a business award is first in line to be downgraded to Y if the necessity arises.
Fair enough. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
When changing the date for the outbound of a return award itinerary, does the return also need to have availability to be able to make the change?
Thanks,
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
When changing the date for the outbound of a return award itinerary, does the return also need to have availability to be able to make the change?
Thanks,
With the current system, it seems that any partner segments on the return would need availability. UA segments will be fine.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:40 am

With the current system, it seems that any partner segments on the return would need availability. UA segments will be fine.
Thanks. So in that case, with the award change broken online, for a Plat it’s better to just book a fresh itinerary and just cancel the old one rather than call in to make the change.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. So in that case, with the award change broken online, for a Plat it’s better to just book a fresh itinerary and just cancel the old one rather than call in to make the change.
If you can book a fresh itinerary, then you should be able to make the change by calling. But, yes, if you have enough miles, book-and-cancel is a viable strategy. Just make sure that you cancel the original one as soon as the new one is ticketed, because having two reservations on the same flight is a no-no that can get both of your reservations cancelled if they notice.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Plus it is risk to make an online change with a partner flight. If anything goes wrong, you end up with neither the original nor the new itin.
given the new rules, better to book OWs vs RTs (no excursion but that is of limited value to me); and bookie new and than cancel old -- no changes.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Thanks all.

Does anybody else see something wrong with LH and OS availability right now online?

UPDATE

Nevermind, it’s back.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2018 at 9:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:12 pm

booking award on AC metal, stopover allowed?

Apologies, I couldn't find a dedicated AC award thread.

I tried plugging in a multi-city itinerary at united.com and it priced as two awards. It's been a few years, but I thought a stopover was allowed.

Looking to do USA-YYZ(stop)-YVR

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 29, 2018 at 9:19 pm Reason: merged into master thread on awards
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
No stopover. Priced correctly.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA eliminated stopovers generally last year on award tickets in their program.

Plus they never allowed them on one way awards.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
What's the latest on getting mixed First/Biz itineraries to show up? Seems like when I actually want them, they're absent:

SQ BKK-SIN available in J
SQ SIN-CGK available in F

Would gladly pay the F price to have J/F, but the engine only offers J/J.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
What's the latest on getting mixed First/Biz itineraries to show up? Seems like when I actually want them, they're absent:

SQ BKK-SIN available in J
SQ SIN-CGK available in F

Would gladly pay the F price to have J/F, but the engine only offers J/J.
I assume that's based on lounge access at SIN, as I can't think of any other reason you'd really care about F over J on a 45-minute flight.

I haven't found and hard-and-fast rule. I've found that mixed F/J itineraries are more likely to show up when the F flight comes first, but I've seen counterexamples too.

I'd probably book the J/J and then call to see if I could change to J/F.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 12:27 am

Does anyone know why on earth United isn't showing any Asiana inventory for 2019? All inventory seems to disappear abruptly at December 31, 2018.

The same problem is happening with trying to locate these awards on Aeroplan; however, interestingly, Avianca is showing these flights.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
I assume that's based on lounge access at SIN, as I can't think of any other reason you'd really care about F over J on a 45-minute flight.

I haven't found and hard-and-fast rule. I've found that mixed F/J itineraries are more likely to show up when the F flight comes first, but I've seen counterexamples too.

I'd probably book the J/J and then call to see if I could change to J/F.
Thank you -
I tried booking J/J and calling, but two agents couldn't touch it because it wouldn't show up in their native results

But yes, primarily for lounge access (The Private Room ), and taking advantage of the excursionist perk by having a free leg in F
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Thank you -
I tried booking J/J and calling, but two agents couldn't touch it because it wouldn't show up in their native results

But yes, primarily for lounge access (The Private Room ), and taking advantage of the excursionist perk by having a free leg in F
That's disappointing. I guess my next attempt would be to book SIN-CGK and then try to change it to add the BKK-SIN sector, either online or on the phone. I don't normally recommend making changes online, but in a situation like this -- where you're not really risking much if the original reservation is impacted because it's not what you want anyway -- the downside is limited. Just make sure you double-check that you have a valid ticket afterwards.

Incidentally -- which route were you hoping to ExPerk in F? There are so few eligible routes these days. ORD-EWR and ORD-IAH are still sometimes sold as three-class...

Good luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.