Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, jmaxeden
Originally Posted by jmaxeden
Where is the best place to learn about Milage Plus award travel. ...
The award programs on the surface first appear simple but the devil is into the details and not everything is transparent.

United provides an initial overview in [url=https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/types.aspx]MileagePlus air awards[/quote] -- at the bottom of the page click to expand the award rules.

However, there is much more to understand and the United Flyertalk forum has multiple threads discussing various aspects of the program (such as this thread).

I am trying to fly from the USA to Baku and the dates are very limited. I have Premium Gold with United, but still very few date options. ...
Limited dates will make things hard but providing more information (if you are comfortable) would allow others to provide some ideas. Travel dates, at least the month and day of the week.
Starting airport
Your Gold status does open up more economy space than a non-elite. You say you see some options, what are the problems with those options?
The number of travelers?

Is it best to call United? ..
They don't see more award space but they are more experienced in using the tools. No harm in checking

Finding award space at certain times of the year or on certain routes can be challenging -- may times there will limited availability,

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I am trying to book YUL-CMN-LIS or YUL-CMN-IST (connection in CMN, not stopover). Aeroplan shows the itinerary and prices like any YUL-LIS or YUL-IST award but I would like to book that itinerary using United miles to aviod the Aeroplan / Air Canada carrier surcharges.

What are the chances that I can book it through a phone agent. Any other tips to unlock that routing ?

Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
What are the chances that I can book it through a phone agent. Any other tips to unlock that routing ?
(a) Aeroplan may have access to additional Air Canada space beyond what United can see.
(b) If it doesn't come up on a search from origin to destination, United will charge you extra miles for it
(c) I'd be surprised if United allowed you to route through the Northern Africa region on a US-Europe itinerary. (IST is also considered Europe by UA).

Basically, Aeroplan and UA may treat things differently, and if it's not showing up in your searches, it's unlikely that you'll be able to book it for the North America to Europe price.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jsloan
(a) Aeroplan may have access to additional Air Canada space beyond what United can see.
(b) If it doesn't come up on a search from origin to destination, United will charge you extra miles for it
(c) I'd be surprised if United allowed you to route through the Northern Africa region on a US-Europe itinerary. (IST is also considered Europe by UA).

Basically, Aeroplan and UA may treat things differently, and if it's not showing up in your searches, it's unlikely that you'll be able to book it for the North America to Europe price.
The availability appears on United as well if I search the segments separately. I'm trying to get to CMN for a lower mileage cost

Last edited by MasterGeek; Mar 23, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Can't Upgrade Class on Existing Booking (illegal routing?)

This trip is for my honeymoon. I booked HND-PEK-AKL-PPT in Y for 15k miles o/w. I chose an in-optimal routing and class to secure the AKL-PPT leg.

Now I solely want to upgrade the first two of the existing legs. No new bookings or routings. When I try, the computer breaks the fare and prices it as two tickets. Each agent gives a different reason why. Some say the routing was illegal to begin with, and others that J must be available all the way through (no mixed cabins). One agent confirmed the routing is legal, which is in the notes, but couldn't get a computer/supervisor to force it and left it at that.

I booked a similar routing previously, but the rules may have since changed. I searched and only tangentially related, or old, posts came up. I have also interacted with 5 agents and am exhausted. If anyone knows the terminology I should use to nudge the agents it would be great appreciated.

For reference, I previously booked KIX-SIN-AKL-NAN in J for the stated rate.

Any insight is appreciated!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:04 pm

If you can provide dates of travel, someone more talented that I can look up published fare rules and double check whether the route is, in fact legal, and whether it is, in theory, available. The route may be legal, but not constructable with currently available published fares, for example.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prometa
If you can provide dates of travel, someone more talented that I can look up published fare rules and double check whether the route is, in fact legal, and whether it is, in theory, available. The route may be legal, but not constructable with currently available published fares, for example.
This is a mileage ticket, so the published routing rules don't apply.

With the new system, you can basically only access inventory that appears on a one-way search from origin to destination. If it doesn't appear on the search results, it's unlikely that a UA agent can piece it together without a vast increase in mileage cost.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by prometa
its an award ticket. Could be wrong but dont think published fares matter.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I believe it is correct that published fares don't matter. Award routes have their own logic.

I am booked in Y at the 15k rate without it being broken on this same routing. I assumed I could upgrade my class of service later and not worry about breaking my fare in two.

The route is "legal" in the sense it can be booked online. It is hard to find availability, but it is POSSIBLE. This is why I booked the first route I saw since the month currently has no other open dates.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewp123
I assumed I could upgrade my class of service later and not worry about breaking my fare in two.
You can -- if the route you want is still available on a one-way search. Otherwise, as you're seeing, you may run into issues.

If you've used the word "upgrade," though, try asking to "change to a business class award." That may get more traction. However, the downline partner flights (that you're not changing) may require fresh (as in, can be booked today on a new ticket) availability.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
When booking an award ticket, since you probably paid the least amount of money that anyone paid for that trip, are you considered the lowest payer in the event of IDB?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408
When booking an award ticket, since you probably paid the least amount of money that anyone paid for that trip, are you considered the lowest payer in the event of IDB?
Generally, yes. A non-status passenger on an award ticket would be the first to be IDB'ed.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Generally, yes. A non-status passenger on an award ticket would be the first to be IDB'ed.
Would being in J make a difference?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Would being in J make a difference?
They're not going to IDB someone from J due to a coach oversell, so, yes, it makes a difference.

However, a no-status passenger with a business award is first in line to be downgraded to Y if the necessity arises.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 5:32 pm

This is a mileage ticket, so the published routing rules don't apply.

With the new system, you can basically only access inventory that appears on a one-way search from origin to destination. If it doesn't appear on the search results, it's unlikely that a UA agent can piece it together without a vast increase in mileage cost.
Oops, duh. I skimmed that part and then forgot about it by the time I finished reading OP’s post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.