Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
A schedule change from DCA-xxx-yyy-SDU (Rio de Janerio city airport) to DCA-xxx-yyy-GIG (International airport) with four extra hours layover time. The 1K agent (her support) tried to charge me for one-stop, DCA-IAH-GIG., that I requested. But I pushed it back hard. I had to keep the return as two-stop from SDU because of the unfriendliness of United. I thought that I was reasonable to ask for return from the same airport as outbound (GIG-IAH-DCA). But, United rather pays to other airlines, instead of keep all the money in its own pocket. I called Delta for postponing my trip by two days yesterday. It was done with a big smile. But I did not like Delta's music while waiting. United's music is much softer. But dealing with United 1K agents is sometimes like "pulling the teeth."

Edit: There is another schedule change on my return. The schedule was similar but departure airport was changed from SDU to GIG. So, I asked for GIG-IAH-DCA and got it when UA called me. But I forgot that my wife was on a different reservation with identical schedule change. That call lasted for a minute; meaning that there was not enough time to react. When I called back next day, it was not that smooth. I needed to push it hard. This is just typical of UA. 😂
PGHflyer and WheelsUpGal like this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Oct 14, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Old Sep 19, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Tonight's flight 1571 SFO-BOS swapped out from lie-flats to a 757-300 non lie-flat config. Business partner was on it (biz class) and just cancelled ticket. Not going to be a lot of happy campers on that flight tonight.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Tonight's flight 1571 SFO-BOS swapped out from lie-flats to a 757-300 non lie-flat config. Business partner was on it (biz class) and just cancelled ticket. Not going to be a lot of happy campers on that flight tonight.
that's not a schedule change And unfortunately not a route where UA guarantees a 752 anymore. But yeah, I would try and re-route via EWR in that case as well ... a red-eye on a 753 is miserable
Old Sep 24, 2023, 6:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
that's not a schedule change And unfortunately not a route where UA guarantees a 752 anymore. But yeah, I would try and re-route via EWR in that case as well ... a red-eye on a 753 is miserable
But it is defined as Irregular Operations in the CoC which should allow for a change in flight or a refund if they can't get you there within 2hr of original time
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420 (Post # 1095)
Originally Posted by N104UA (Post # 1097)
But it is defined as Irregular Operations in the CoC which should allow for a change in flight or a refund if they can't get you there within 2hr of original time
There was no indication in the original post (OP) that this equipment substitution resulted in any such delay. If not, no free change or refund.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 6:23 am

Anyone know when a mid-february schedule change is expected to be loaded. AA is a bit more predictable with these
Old Oct 26, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I am waiting on this as well.
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:22 am

Hi All,

This morning my UA ticketed TK operated award flight ORD IST AMS in April had a departure time change of 30 minutes earlier. This was I fare class. The UA operated ORD AMS non stop is only showing JN at the moment.

Could/would UA switch me to the UA non stop?

I booked TK to get back to Turkish coffee bar in J lounge in IST. Wife much prefers non-stops. Don't think this would be eligible but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask here.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2023, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purdue1015
Hi All,

This morning my UA ticketed TK operated award flight ORD IST AMS in April had a departure time change of 30 minutes earlier. This was I fare class. The UA operated ORD AMS non stop is only showing JN at the moment.

Could/would UA switch me to the UA non stop?

I booked TK to get back to Turkish coffee bar in J lounge in IST. Wife much prefers non-stops. Don't think this would be eligible but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask here.

Thanks!
30 minutes is borderline, but you can ask.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
30 minutes is borderline, but you can ask.
Well I tried twice. Both times was told no. 2nd agent quoted "needs to be schedule change greater than 4 hours." Schucks. Sorry wife. TK J lounge coffee bar it is
Old Oct 29, 2023, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well I tried twice. Both times was told no. 2nd agent quoted "needs to be schedule change greater than 4 hours." Schucks. Sorry wife. TK J lounge coffee bar it is
UA's published policy is
If your flight’s schedule changes by more than 30 minutes, you can book another United or United Express® flight for free. Your new flight must leave from the same airport within 24 hours of your original flight time.
In jetstream, UA make this clear it applies to partner flights
Schedule change: Other airline-operated flight
Only one free itinerary change is permitted per schedule change event.
Acceptable (OA) Options Accept the change and remove any old segments
Booking class Protection sent in same booking class
Waiver required Yes, if reissue required
Waiver code OSI UA OASKEDCHG
NDC-enabled agency: No waiver code needed. Pull up reservation via NDC or united.com for available options and change flight.

Unacceptable (OA): Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least + / - 30 minutesChange to alternate flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or UA operated flight.

So the borderline is was the change greater than 30 minutes or 30 minutes.

"needs to be schedule change greater than 4 hours." is garbage
SPN Lifer and purdue1015 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 29, 2023 at 9:53 pm Reason: jetstream link
Old Oct 30, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA's published policy is

In jetstream, UA make this clear it applies to partner flights

So the borderline is was the change greater than 30 minutes or 30 minutes.

"needs to be schedule change greater than 4 hours." is garbage
Thanks. That’s what I thought I had read. I think I may have just had bad luck yesterday. Called a separate time for my travel coming home from work yesterday. Was clearly going to misconnect in DEN (at that point had a 12 minute connection…end up missing by 45 minutes) and got a lot of grief to put me in same fare class on later departure out of DEN. They did, but very begrudgingly. Oh well. We’ll see if TK changes schedule again. As always, I appreciate the insight from you folks.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 3:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Called a separate time for my travel coming home from work yesterday. Was clearly going to misconnect in DEN (at that point had a 12 minute connection…end up missing by 45 minutes) and got a lot of grief to put me in same fare class on later departure out of DEN. They did, but very begrudgingly. ....
If delayed flights create a problem, UA can be reluctant to make changes before there is an actual misconnect.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Does the 250-mile limit thing apply to changes they make TO me as well? I paid extra (still a nonrefundable fare) to arrive @ Rio SDU airport and they changed me to Rio GIG airport (about 20 miles difference), arriving 1-hour later.

I did a chat asking for a refund and they said the change was within parameters so no refund.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Does the 250-mile limit thing apply to changes they make TO me as well? I paid extra (still a nonrefundable fare) to arrive @ Rio SDU airport and they changed me to Rio GIG airport (about 20 miles difference), arriving 1-hour later.

I did a chat asking for a refund and they said the change was within parameters so no refund.
SDU is much more convenient than GIG. Taxi fare (use Uber App) is so cheap in Rio and it will only cost you a few more dollars. I asked United to remove the extra stop via GRU. That is, I will fly one stop via IAH in both directions. If you still want to make the trip, IAH-GIG nonstop is an option. Good luck.
PGHflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.