Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 14, 20, 1:18 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
UA typically updates schedules on late Friday evening into Saturday morning (USA Central Time).

United's FAQ on Schedule Changes mentions
-- reschedule flexibility for 30 minutes or more changes
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.

-- refunds for 2 hours or more changes Changed 7 March 2020
--- we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time changes by six hours twenty-five hours or more. (changed 12 March 2020)
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased – refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.

Generally, UA is pretty good about being flexible if you are adversely affected by a schedule change. Most reasonable requests will likely be honored. Best to do some self-research prior to calling. Including opening up award space on UA operated flights. If you had a cleared upgrade on UA operated flight, UA will generally honor that in the rescheduling if space is available (but not requiring upgrade inventory space on the new flights)

During this weekend change period and sometimes for a day later, there can be weirdness in displayed aircraft or seating maps, such as Strange/Impossible Aircraft Assignments After UA's Weekend Schedule Update

The peak-time for changes is roughly 3-4 months prior to departure but changes occur anytime -- especially aircraft changes within an aircraft family (such as 777-200s or 737-800 vs 737-900).

Schedule changes
Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes by 30 minutes or more, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:
  • Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
  • If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
  • Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.
If we aren't able to find any other flights that meet your needs, requesting a refund may be an option. See the section below for more information.

Ticket refunds

When a schedule change happens, we try our best to provide you with options that minimize the disruption to your travel plans. In cases where the new flight options don't work for you and one of the following scenarios applies, we may be able to offer you a refund:
  • The scheduled departure or arrival time significantly changes.
  • The change causes issues with the overall length of the trip, such as making the connection time too short or significantly longer than it was originally.
  • If we are unable to accommodate you in the same cabin as purchased – refunded either the full price or the difference in fare.
If you're not satisfied with your new itinerary and one of the above scenarios applies, please don't accept the itinerary in Manage Reservations. Instead, you can request a refund online.
It is reported that agents will now (12 March 2020) process refunds for 6-hour changes (down from the original new 25+ hours that replaced the previous long practice of 2-hours)
JetStream - Agency Rebooking Parameters

Related thread: Schedule change refund policy changed from 2+ hrs to 25+ hrs now 6+ hrs 12 March 2020

Archive Thread - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 6, 17, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Did UA cancel the 2x daily LAX-LHR in the summer? I was booked on UA60 leaving in May but got schedule changed to 923. I booked 60 because it was on a Dreamliner. Now I might just switch to a 744.

UA60 still shows up on OTA and the UA timetable but it is not available to book anymore on .bomb.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 17 at 12:01 am Reason: Moved to 2017 thread
Old Jan 6, 17, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
Didn't see a 2017 thread yet.

Did UA cancel the 2x daily LAX-LHR in the summer? I was booked on UA60 leaving in May but got schedule changed to 923. I booked 60 because it was on a Dreamliner. Now I might just switch to a 744.

UA60 still shows up on OTA and the UA timetable but it is not available to book anymore on .bomb.
Seems that it's 1X Daily in early June. just noticed a schedule change for me in early June.. (And the 787 that I was on in now a 777-200 LHR-LAX and get this the LAX-LHR shows a 737-900.. This is probably a typo..)..
Old Jan 7, 17, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1K MM Hilton Diamond Hertz Gold 5*
My flight LHR/LAX in early May has also been changed so your thought seems correct (at least for early summer)
Old Jan 7, 17, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Thanks UA, to others, is a 2 hr schedule change enough to change routing? I'm trying to arrive before 9AM as originally scheduled. Only complication is that I booked OTA.
Old Jan 7, 17, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
Thanks UA, to others, is a 2 hr schedule change enough to change routing? I'm trying to arrive before 9AM as originally scheduled. Only complication is that I booked OTA.
Generally 2 hours is enough and needing to arrive by a specific which you previous had is an additional plus.

UA may charge you a "ticket take over fee" ($25? per ticket).
Old Jan 7, 17, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
goalie-parents had their April 26th 6pm non-stop departure FLL-SFO arriving SFO 10PM change to a a 6PM departure FLL-IAH-SFO arriving at midnight

Decided to keep it as an RPU was applied SFO-FLL and waitlisted, saw the change last night with the RPU clearing FLL-IAH and waitlisting IAH-SFO and went to confirm the schedule change this morning and noticed that the IAH-SFO leg had cleared overnight
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by cheltenhamflyer View Post
My flight LHR/LAX in early May has also been changed so your thought seems correct (at least for early summer)
They just changed my 11.40am flight to the 2.10pm flight LHR-LAX for April 7. There used to be two flights and I specifically wanted the morning flight as it is day flight so am fine sitting in coach but no other good options to get me to LAX by early afternoon instead of the evening :-(

Annoyingly, my 11.40am flight reflects "R" class on the website (but not the app) and am now back to "K" for the 2.10pm flight. The agent on the phone did confirm the upgrade request is in for the revised flight (but was not there for the original notification of the change) so guess that means my upgrade status starts today and not with the date of two months ago when they took the miles and the copay. :-(

First world problems. :-)
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:39 am

Programs: AA - Plat
LAX - LHR

i booked whole family (with small kids) for flight to London in April, 777 for the redeye there and 787 back.

Just fot got an email from UA. They've changed the flight there for an earlier (still redeye) flight on a 787 and the flight back on the 17th is now through SFO??

Looked online and there seem to be no direct LHR to LAX flights on the 17th??

Suggestions?
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:44 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drewnyc View Post
i booked whole family (with small kids) for flight to London in April, 777 for the redeye there and 787 back.

Just fot got an email from UA. They've changed the flight there for an earlier (still redeye) flight on a 787 and the flight back on the 17th is now through SFO??

Suggestions?
Try returning on another date, and you may find the nonstop back in the sked.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Fly back through EWR and connect to PS?
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by drewnyc View Post

Suggestions?
My guess is there are some schedule reductions TATL over the Easter weekend. Easter is on the 16th of April.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sannmann View Post
Fly back through EWR and connect to PS?
You are assuming OP is in C. Even if so, going through EWR is a rough way to break this up. So much better connecting in SFO if possible.
Old Jan 8, 17, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What are you looking for by way of suggestion? What class of service? Does time of day matter?

P.s. through EWR might be good if in F/J, but if in Y, not sure it really matters, although if you are ultimately headed for SAN as your location suggests, UA might reroute you to SAN from EWR and that would be good (although not p.s.).

So, really need to know what you are looking for in order to make suggestions.
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR/SPG Gold,Hertz PC, National EE, Carlson Silver
Noticed a 15 minute schedule change on my LAX-LIH flight in April (arrives 15 minutes later). I know it is a YMMW, but hoping I can parlay it into a flight 1 day earlier. When I originally booked with a Chase CC Companion cert, they gave me the run around and the availability I needed disappeared, so I had to move the flight one day later. This might get me back to the date I originally wanted (and the right class is even available, not that it matters with a schedule change).
Old Jan 8, 17, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr View Post
Noticed a 15 minute schedule change on my LAX-LIH flight in April (arrives 15 minutes later). I know it is a YMMW, but hoping I can parlay it into a flight 1 day earlier. When I originally booked with a Chase CC Companion cert, they gave me the run around and the availability I needed disappeared, so I had to move the flight one day later. This might get me back to the date I originally wanted (and the right class is even available, not that it matters with a schedule change).
Definitely a YMMV. I called in for a 10-minute change earlier today and was told firmly that it had to be at least 2 hours. But from past experience, I have gotten agents who have done moves for me given smaller adjustments in timing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: