Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2023, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cfischer
try and change flights online. Put in 'Y' class. Might just work out, you never know.
Flight change search doesn't work; probably because the tix has changed so much by now. Oh well.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:07 am

schedule change with no viable option

Scheduled to fly DLH-ORD-SXM Sunday December 3
schedule change and now its DLH-ORD-EWR-SXM with a 4 hour layover, an 8 hour overnight layover and a next day arrival.

Looks like they moved the ORD-SXM flight to Saturdays so the easy answer would be to fly a day earlier (and extend the trip by a day) but flying from a small regional there is not a flight that gets me to ORD in time on Saturday.

Would I be entitled to fly another star alliance carrier for free?
I can drive 2.5 hours to MSP and that opens up a few more options (albeit with added expense of driving and parking)

Would United let me fly Friday night into ORD with an overnight connection then onto SXM Saturday morning? would they pay for a hotel?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While they would likely fly you to ORD the night before (fares to most Caribbean destinations permit layovers up to 24 hours), you'd have to pay for the hotel yourself. Basically, the only times they will provide for hotel is during IROPs situations, but not for advance schedule changes. They won't put you on another Star carrier (which wouldn't get you there any quicker anyway).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by h0und10
Would I be entitled to fly another star alliance carrier for free?
No. UA will offer you a re-route on its metal, or you can get a refund.

Would United let me fly Friday night into ORD with an overnight connection then onto SXM Saturday morning? would they pay for a hotel?
As stated, yes, and no.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Given that it's adding an overnight, if you find an option (or a couple) you'd prefer to the assigned reroute, UA is generally pretty flexible to reasonable asks. I think flying AC, or going to ORD the day before, or changing your origin point to MSP are reasonable asks. May need to HUCA.

UA won't provide a hotel for the overnight.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by mduell; Jun 20, 2023 at 10:50 am
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Yes on the flying into ORD early (if space is available). No on the hotel.

I had a similar schedule change on a trip to SXM pre covid... The ended up putting me on Silver air from *somewhere* in Florida (I honestly can't remember if it was MIA, FLL or MCO)...

Didn't matter anyway, because a couple of months later there was another schedule change, and I was back on UA metal the whole way.
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
While they would likely fly you to ORD the night before (fares to most Caribbean destinations permit layovers up to 24 hours), you'd have to pay for the hotel yourself. Basically, the only times they will provide for hotel is during IROPs situations, but not for advance schedule changes. They won't put you on another Star carrier (which wouldn't get you there any quicker anyway).
Thanks for the reply. The star carrier I saw was Air Canada had a flight from MSP-YYZ-SXM
Traveling with an infant so just trying to limit airport and airplane time, really the only reason we picked SXM.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mduell
UA is generally pretty flexible to reasonable asks. I think flying AC, or going to ORD the day before, or changing your origin point to MSP are reasonable asks.
I agree that being put on AC is a reasonable ask, in that I don't think OP is unreasonable for asking if they'd do that. But I'd estimate less than a 1% chance they'd agree.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since the trip is not until December, I'd take a look at schedules and pricing on other airlines, and if you find a better option, cancel and get a refund from UA.

Or, since the trip is so far off, there is a decent chance there will be another schedule change between now and then.
SPN Lifer and Antonio8069 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96
Since the trip is not until December, I'd take a look at schedules and pricing on other airlines, and if you find a better option, cancel and get a refund from UA.

Or, since the trip is so far off, there is a decent chance there will be another schedule change between now and then.
Another airline would be ideal but I cannot get a cash refund since the trip was purchased with a travel credit.
Looks like I can position to EWR or ORD the night before.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM
Another airline would be ideal but I cannot get a cash refund since the trip was purchased with a travel credit.
Looks like I can position to EWR or ORD the night before.
It’s probably better to go ahead and ask for the DLH-ORD-SXM date change and accept the overnight near O’Hare. That way you’ll at least have your seats all squared away now instead of later.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Didn't matter anyway, because a couple of months later there was another schedule change, and I was back on UA metal the whole way.
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It’s probably better to go ahead and ask for the DLH-ORD-SXM date change and accept the overnight near O’Hare. That way you’ll at least have your seats all squared away now instead of later.
I disagree. I’d probably sit on it for now and wait till about 3 months out to make a change, checking schedules every now and again. Fairly high chance that there’s another schedule change in there someplace and the one stop connection day of from DLH holds.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I disagree. I’d probably sit on it for now and wait till about 3 months out to make a change, checking schedules every now and again. Fairly high chance that there’s another schedule change in there someplace and the one stop connection day of from DLH holds.
Do you think UA would add back a Sunday ORD-SXM flight as late as three months out? Seems unlikely to me. Maybe five months out or something like that.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 4:56 pm

Do you think UA would add back a Sunday ORD-SXM flight as late as three months out? Seems unlikely to me. Maybe five months out or something like that.
Yea good point. I was thinking more along the lines of adjusting the first flight out of DLH or the departure on Saturday out of ORD back to accommodate a same day.

if there’s a shuttle bus, one-way rental car, or accommodating grandparent to take you to MSP and you can maintain a return back into DLH I might opt for that.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree that there's basically zero chance of UA adding back Sunday flight on 12/3 after they just removed it. The ORD-SXM flight operates on Sat/Sun for a few weeks around Christmas now, but is otherwise Saturday-only for the months of November through February. Even if they were to add it back, the timing no longer works (DLH flight arrives too late to catch it). With the IAD and EWR flights to SXM departing in the morning, there's no way to connect to them same-day out of DLH since there are only the 2 daily flights to ORD from DLH. AC, DL, and AA have same day options out of MSP on 12/3 (via YYZ, ATL, and MIA), but not UA.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 21, 2023 at 1:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.