Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes, this is the aftermath of Super Typhoon Mawar last May.

Travel Waiver - Super Typhoon Mawar 22 May-15 June 23 GUM, Island Hopper, ROR, ...

I lived on Guam for 19 months in 1982 to 1984 and think it is a wonderful place to spend a day. If you like hiking there is Cetti Bay, Sella Bay, the Tanguisson Beach "shark pits", or the northwest corner of the island. Or there is a traditional tourist beach experience at Tumon Bay, with lots of hotels. There are lots of other things to do, depending on your interests. A drive around the southern half of the island, counter-clockwise, is very scenic.

There is a beach park right next to the Hilton. Speaking of hotels, however, there is high demand due to residents with damage to homes, and FEMA or other post-disaster assistance workers still staying there.

But if you can manage to get a hotel room, I'm sure you can find something interesting to do on Guam for a day.
Thanks. I was able to call in and get my schedule change I wanted - it took about an hour, and some patience, as the UA agent was insistent on trying to route me via Haneda directly instead of IAD-HNL-GUM but I was able to convince him to keep me on my originally scheduled flights. I was grilled for about 3 minutes on if I really needed to go to guam/be there/if I had family there. I thought it was a bit excessive but in the end it all worked out. Looking forward to having a bit more proper time in Guam to see the island.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and cfischer like this.

Last edited by BThumme; Jul 7, 2023 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:58 pm

I'm in a bit of a strange situation - I currently have a $4k return flight credit with a lot of restrictions that is essentially unusable. I've been advised to book a flight far in the future (e.g. 6 months) HOPING it will get a schedule change, so United will convert it to a regular, unrestricted credit.

The flight must originate in Australia / New Zealand, and must end in North America.
  • Can anyone suggest any strategy for what type of flight would be good to book? I'm imagining something with a lot of connections (e.g. MEL-SYD-YVR-DEN-MCI is a valid routing).
  • Is there any reason to avoid codeshares like Virgin Australia / Air Canada, etc?
  • Has anyone done this before / Any tips / Is this crazy?

Thank you!
Old Jul 24, 2023, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by greattypo
Is there any reason to avoid codeshares like Virgin Australia / Air Canada, etc?
I would avoid them. In my experience, United is much more likely to change schedules than any other airline (thus giving you more opportunities), and when Air Canada changes schedules they give you no options.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by greattypo
I'm in a bit of a strange situation - I currently have a $4k return flight credit with a lot of restrictions that is essentially unusable. I've been advised to book a flight far in the future (e.g. 6 months) HOPING it will get a schedule change, so United will convert it to a regular, unrestricted credit.

The flight must originate in Australia / New Zealand, and must end in North America.
  • Can anyone suggest any strategy for what type of flight would be good to book? I'm imagining something with a lot of connections (e.g. MEL-SYD-YVR-DEN-MCI is a valid routing).
  • Is there any reason to avoid codeshares like Virgin Australia / Air Canada, etc?
  • Has anyone done this before / Any tips / Is this crazy?

Thank you!
Are you sure about OZ/NZ --> US requirement? I have been able to combine e.g. UA-EU with OZ-US. Have you tried something you might actually need?

Yes, going far out is best ... 2024 ... haven't seen adjustments for January yet. Booking short connections or routes that tend to get culled in the winter is best
Old Jul 24, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
Are you sure about OZ/NZ --> US requirement? I have been able to combine e.g. UA-EU with OZ-US. Have you tried something you might actually need?

Yes, going far out is best ... 2024 ... haven't seen adjustments for January yet. Booking short connections or routes that tend to get culled in the winter is best
Also book as many connections as you can, e.g. instead of MEL-SFO try MEL-BNE-SFO-DEN-MSP, to maximize the chances of a schedule change. I also recommend also looking at current vs future flight schedules, for instance starting in Jan UA has a 15:50 DEN-MSP flight (for 5x flights daily), however when you look at last Jan/Feb and the upcoming Nov and Dec (still in winter schedule) that flight is not there. Generally that is a good predictor that it will be gone.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N104UA
Also book as many connections as you can, e.g. instead of MEL-SFO try MEL-BNE-SFO-DEN-MSP, to maximize the chances of a schedule change. I also recommend also looking at current vs future flight schedules, for instance starting in Jan UA has a 15:50 DEN-MSP flight (for 5x flights daily), however when you look at last Jan/Feb and the upcoming Nov and Dec (still in winter schedule) that flight is not there. Generally that is a good predictor that it will be gone.
I disagree. The more connections there are, the more likely is a schedule change, yes, but it also means the more options UA has to get you to your destination within 2 hours of the ticketed time. You need a 2 hour + change, or a change of operating carrier, to qualify for a refund.

I'd look for something where UA offers limited service, preferably from only a single hub, to increase the chances that a flight change causes a big delay. Maybe something like SYD-IAH-MFE?
SPN Lifer, bluedemon211 and VRFast like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
General data point:

Had two relatively recently booked itineraries busted by the August EWR schedule reduction -- I mean the solution UA offered automagically was technically legal but would have doubled 1 EWR layover to 5 hours (shifting my departure from origin up by a corresponding amount); and another "only" around an hour and a half (shifting my arrival at destination back).

Given my general hatred of EWR that has only increased over this summer I wasn't excited about either of those and UA.com was offering no options for either PNR. So like a good FTer, I found the flights I wanted (both changing the connecting point to be via ORD as it turned out) called reservations and told the agent I had a couple reservations to look at. Rebooked the first one (revenue, domestic) in a couple minutes -- worst part of that was having her find the backtracking connection) then the agent said "Did you have another?" found the desired flight instantly (MP award), confirmed seating, and was done... Probably 10 minutes in total AND two less times I have to face EWR this summer (I was kind of looking forward to getting back to the EWR PL... but the rest of EWR more than offsets that)

(For the first flight an airport agent had originally offered to look at it for me but original fare bucket (Z) inventory was only available on one of the new segments and since they aren't technically supposed to touch reservations outside of 24H, let alone to force inventory, I said I'd just call res instead to keep fingerprints off of things they shouldn't be on)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:28 pm

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While some agents may do this, it is not policy if there are alternative flights the same day or +- 1 day and you may be turned down in the future.

And there are tighter limits on AC (the OP's situation) and LH Group
The thread below this post seems to suggest +/- 7 days is allowed. Is that the case?

Is that the case, even if alternative partner flights are available at the same price for the new dates? I had a TK itinerary (UA award ticket in I) changed to a 20min connection in IST (onto TLV). Would love to get business saver award (IN) on UA metal. I am reasonably confident that they will open it up for the same day as the original TK flights, but can I ask for UA to open up IN +/- 7 days? Those same days have TK saver availability for the same route, so i assume agents would push me to that.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 5:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by marks88
The thread below this post seems to suggest +/- 7 days is allowed. Is that the case? ...
in very limited circumstances, such a once week cruise, if no original day flight options exists

Is that the case, even if alternative partner flights are available at the same price for the new dates? I had a TK itinerary (UA award ticket in I) changed to a 20min connection in IST (onto TLV). Would love to get business saver award (IN) on UA metal. I am reasonably confident that they will open it up for the same day as the original TK flights, but can I ask for UA to open up IN +/- 7 days? Those same days have TK saver availability for the same route, so i assume agents would push me to that.
UA might go +- 1 day in those circumstances but not 7 days without existing award space
marks88 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Flying BKK-YVR-SFO on AC metal, but on 016 stock (P fare). AC adjusted the YVR-SFO schedule by 20 min, so my connection time is now 1:25 which is still legal (YVR MCT is 1:10), but pretty tight. Will UA reroute me BKK-SIN-SFO on SQ/UA, or BKK-NRT-SFO on NH/UA if I inquire?
Old Aug 16, 2023, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bioyuki
Flying BKK-YVR-SFO on AC metal, but on 016 stock (P fare). AC adjusted the YVR-SFO schedule by 20 min, so my connection time is now 1:25 which is still legal (YVR MCT is 1:10), but pretty tight. Will UA reroute me BKK-SIN-SFO on SQ/UA, or BKK-NRT-SFO on NH/UA if I inquire?
BKK-NRT-SFO, quite possible; BKK-SIN-SFO, probably not.
bioyuki likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by bioyuki
It never hurts to ask, I have gotten some decent re-routes out of schedule changes just by calling and being pleasant
bioyuki likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: UA1K
I'm taking an international trip later this year, INTL-USA-USA. The second segment on the return got moved back 40 minutes and now has a new flight number. It's all on UA metal, but not seeing the flexible rebooking module in app. Do I need to wait for some reason, or are there different rules when it's an international itinerary? It doesn't really affect my trip but I enjoy poking around and seeing what routings are available to me when these things happen
Old Aug 21, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by unitedwildcat
I'm taking an international trip later this year, INTL-USA-USA. The second segment on the return got moved back 40 minutes and now has a new flight number. It's all on UA metal, but not seeing the flexible rebooking module in app. Do I need to wait for some reason, or are there different rules when it's an international itinerary? It doesn't really affect my trip but I enjoy poking around and seeing what routings are available to me when these things happen
sometimes you have to call ...
Old Aug 21, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I bought an open-jaw roundtrip ticket from Europe to the US. The outbound flight (to EWR) was shorter than the inbound (from SFO). After I flew the outbound, the inbound flight was cancelled and I was moved to another flight leaving and arriving 5 hours earlier.

I asked United to cancel and refund the inbound leg. Because it was partially used, they wouldn't tell me how much the refund would be before they cancelled it which was frustrating. My expectation was to get around 50% of the roundtrip price back (or more, since the cancelled leg was longer) since it is an involuntary cancellation and the fare was priced on a roundtrip basis with no breakout provided.

In the end they have come back with a refund that equates to 36% of the roundtrip price. Is it worth complaining and asking how this was calculated?

I believe the relevant text from CoC is "Round-Trip, Circle-Trip, or Open-Jaw fare An amount equal to the fare paid for the unused transportation from the point of termination to the destination or next Stopover point named on the ticket, or to a point at which transportation is to be resumed. If both outbound and inbound fares on a domestic roundtrip ticket are the same, then 50% of the round-trip fare for the class of service paid, and for the unflown segment only."

Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.