Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:36 am
  #121  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,539
Originally Posted by swgsword
FWIW as a DP to folks -- the fare was a K fare and ANA did not have any K inventory available on NRT/HND-HKG -- so the system auto-rejected any attempts to rebook onto the NH flight (NH prime or UA codeshare).

However, the fare rules allows combination with CX and HX (and the equivalent mapped fare classes for K is much more generous on CX/HX, ironically). Got turned down by social media team and a couple of phone agents. But was able to coach a new agent to build an itin with UA + CX through NRT and get that approved by the rate desk. Took two hours but glad it worked since needed to arrive in the evening vs. following morning after UA axed the morning HKG flight.
On a UA codeshare they should have been able to book you on an NH flight even if K is not available
cfischer is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:53 am
  #122  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,207
Originally Posted by cfischer
On a UA codeshare they should have been able to book you on an NH flight even if K is not available
That is not correct. When it comes to non LHG/AC OA operated space, whether that be on the UA codeshare or the OA native flight, absent a specific protection agreement, the flight must have availability in the booking code specified by the fare. The guidelines dictate clearly:
  • UA*/OA-operated: same operating carrier, same market, same booking code as ticketed.
  • For OA except AC/LHG: original booking code or class conversion under protection agreements. If not available check fare rule for alternate booking class/carrier/routing that may be permitted.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Lux Flyer is online now  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:01 am
  #123  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 31,539
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
That is not correct. When it comes to non LHG/AC OA operated space, whether that be on the UA codeshare or the OA native flight, absent a specific protection agreement, the flight must have availability in the booking code specified by the fare. The guidelines dictate clearly:
  • UA*/OA-operated: same operating carrier, same market, same booking code as ticketed.
  • For OA except AC/LHG: original booking code or class conversion under protection agreements. If not available check fare rule for alternate booking class/carrier/routing that may be permitted.
I guess someone broke the system then for me There are plenty of examples where e.g. a prior Z fare was re-booked into D on partner metal during schedule changes ... not sure 'how' that was done on the backend, but it was. Had a fare with a 'UA metal only' rebooked on NH as well ... no questions asked.
cfischer is offline  
Old Mar 28, 2023, 7:10 am
  #124  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2,207
Originally Posted by cfischer
I guess someone broke the system then for me There are plenty of examples where e.g. a prior Z fare was re-booked into D on partner metal during schedule changes ... not sure 'how' that was done on the backend, but it was. Had a fare with a 'UA metal only' rebooked on NH as well ... no questions asked.
Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done or it is within policy. Someone could store your fare for $0 and refund the entire ticket value back to you while still keeping it ticketed if they wanted to, doesn't mean they're supposed to. Currently there is nothing in place that actually validates what they're putting in for the new flight is actually in line with the guidelines beyond someone manually reviewing the PNR (though that is going to be changing). It is literally highlight a flight, putting a booking code in and saving the PNR. They could change you onto a BA flight if they wanted to and reissue the ticket the same way they handle any other schedule change. Not hard to see where someone doesn't pay enough attention to realize they chose the codeshare flight or that they aren't supposed to use codeshares like that.
Lux Flyer is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:34 pm
  #125  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Floating around
Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott Amb (LTT)
Posts: 10,293
For all the posts on the forums about how UA doesn't notify of schedule changes, I'm having the opposite problem.

Booked a ticket a few weeks ago for May. I thought the schedule was solid. Turns out the following week United changed my connecting flight -- both the flight number and the arrival time but not the departure time. Wasn't notified until yesterday... Now I've received three emails about the schedule change. Maybe clicking, "Ok, Got It" on the webpage would make them stop. I'm not sure. But this seems the opposite of what happens to most people.

Unfortunately the schedule change does not result in the ability to change the flight as the carrier is still the same and the arrival time is only 22 minutes later.

-RM
RobOnLI is offline  
Old Apr 8, 2023, 7:50 am
  #126  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: IAD and sometimes DCA
Posts: 19
I also had a flight change this week and received no notice. Given the change, I am now looking at making tweaks to the overall itinerary, but whenever I look at options for some reason if I try to change destinations on the return flight it keeps only showing all flight options in full fare Y, which is like $10K more, as its TATL!

Last edited by CttleDog; Apr 8, 2023 at 7:57 am
CttleDog is offline  
Old Apr 8, 2023, 9:46 am
  #127  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 20,887
Originally Posted by CttleDog
I also had a flight change this week and received no notice. Given the change, I am now looking at making tweaks to the overall itinerary, but whenever I look at options for some reason if I try to change destinations on the return flight it keeps only showing all flight options in full fare Y, which is like $10K more, as its TATL!
Changing a destination is going to require in collecting any applicable fare difference, and the repricing engine sometimes gets a bit confused. You should be able to get whatever the correct price is by calling but the correct price might actually be full Y, depending upon the cities involved and whether or not your existing fare allows an open jaw connection.
jsloan is online now  
Old Apr 8, 2023, 10:43 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: IAD and sometimes DCA
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by jsloan
Changing a destination is going to require in collecting any applicable fare difference, and the repricing engine sometimes gets a bit confused. You should be able to get whatever the correct price is by calling but the correct price might actually be full Y, depending upon the cities involved and whether or not your existing fare allows an open jaw connection.
I had looked at making making the change even before the schedule change and it was only going to be $250. Guess I'll have to call.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
CttleDog is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:28 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 6,737
Originally Posted by CttleDog
I also had a flight change this week and received no notice. Given the change, I am now looking at making tweaks to the overall itinerary, but whenever I look at options for some reason if I try to change destinations on the return flight it keeps only showing all flight options in full fare Y, which is like $10K more, as its TATL!
If new schedule significantly impacts your arrival time at the originally booked destination, you may ask for a new destination with a better schedule, but the new destination should be within 300 miles (100-200 miles are better) of the original destination in order to get a free change.
Good luck.
Kmxu is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 11:47 am
  #130  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,095
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If new schedule significantly impacts your arrival time at the originally booked destination, you may ask for a new destination with a better schedule, but the new destination should be within 300 miles (100-200 miles are better) of the original destination in order to get a free change.
Good luck.
Stated policy is
Alternate airports on flights operated by United within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 2:02 pm
  #131  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 17,108
Had a really large schedule change (~12 hours). I want to keep the origin/destination the same but change dates by a week - is that possible for free, by calling in? Or only up to 24hrs change of either flight? The flights are currently scheduled on Air Canada, but booked on UA.com. Any change online (including if I kept it same-day) asks for the difference in fare, so presumably I have to call in to make ANY change anyway.
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:40 pm
  #132  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,235
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Had a really large schedule change (~12 hours). I want to keep the origin/destination the same but change dates by a week - is that possible for free, by calling in? Or only up to 24hrs change of either flight? The flights are currently scheduled on Air Canada, but booked on UA.com. Any change online (including if I kept it same-day) asks for the difference in fare, so presumably I have to call in to make ANY change anyway.
yes. was successful in performing a free change in the manner you describe (+/- 7 days) over phone. it's a manual processing by rep
gnomey is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:47 pm
  #133  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 66,095
Originally Posted by gnomey
yes. was successful in performing a free change in the manner you describe (+/- 7 days) over phone. it's a manual processing by rep
While some agents may do this, it is not policy if there are alternative flights the same day or +- 1 day and you may be turned down in the future.

And there are tighter limits on AC (the OP's situation) and LH Group

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 9, 2023 at 6:53 pm Reason: AC limits
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:58 pm
  #134  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BOS, YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 17,108
Originally Posted by gnomey
yes. was successful in performing a free change in the manner you describe (+/- 7 days) over phone. it's a manual processing by rep
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While some agents may do this, it is not policy if there are alternative flights the same day or +- 1 day and you may be turned down in the future.

And there are tighter limits on AC (the OP's situation) and LH Group
Thanks for this. Seems like "
  • NOTE: When using alternate flights operated by AC, new flights departure date must be +/- 3 days of original flight date."
Indicates I won't be able to do it, but MAYBE it works if I change TO a UA-operated itinerary? Caveat here is that AC also says that first rebooking NEEDS to be on AC, which I'm not a fan of, because the schedule change was so large that it changed a daytime flight to a red-eye, and I hate 6hr transcon economy flights. I'd rather do a 1-connect on either AC or UA. I'll call and see how lucky I get.
Smiley90 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:47 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,235
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Thanks for this. Seems like "
  • NOTE: When using alternate flights operated by AC, new flights departure date must be +/- 3 days of original flight date."
Indicates I won't be able to do it, but MAYBE it works if I change TO a UA-operated itinerary? Caveat here is that AC also says that first rebooking NEEDS to be on AC, which I'm not a fan of, because the schedule change was so large that it changed a daytime flight to a red-eye, and I hate 6hr transcon economy flights. I'd rather do a 1-connect on either AC or UA. I'll call and see how lucky I get.
mine was changed to a UA operated itinerary for international legs. but still have partner leg for the destination country's domestic flights obviously

i think it depends on the agent you get. i didnt know abt the +/-7 days rules until reading it in flyertalk. and the rep i spoke to did count and make sure i was within 7 days before saying she will do it. i would have been fine as well if they are not willing to move by 7. shortening the overall flight duration is more important than changing dates for me
gnomey is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.