FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1813450-check-your-ua-itineraries-schedule-changes-what-do-after-one.html)

angetenar Jan 12, 2023 8:06 am

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

"Those available seats you are seeing are only available for new booking, not as reprotection for flights affected by schedule change." -- real or nonsense?

findark Jan 12, 2023 8:16 am

Originally Posted by angetenar (Post 34917737)
"Those available seats you are seeing are only available for new booking, not as reprotection for flights affected by schedule change." -- real or nonsense?

Context? Often nonsense, but... (1) unassigned seats on the seatmap don't necessarily correspond to inventory, but if there is no inventory you can neither buy a new ticket nor be rebooked, and (2) generally, UA will be extremely resistant to push an award ticket onto another carrier unless award space is available.

angetenar Jan 12, 2023 9:05 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 34917770)
Context? Often nonsense, but... (1) unassigned seats on the seatmap don't necessarily correspond to inventory, but if there is no inventory you can neither buy a new ticket nor be rebooked, and (2) generally, UA will be extremely resistant to push an award ticket onto another carrier unless award space is available.

Booked CAI-MUC-SFO-LAX on a cash ticket, SFO-LAX shifted by 40 minutes, trying to rebook onto MUC-LAX on LH 452/UA 8860. Fare classes on the flight are J9 C9 D9.

findark Jan 12, 2023 9:10 am

The strict statement "space is only for new booking" is nonsense, but UA will still be somewhat resistant to take space on other carriers, especially if UA options are available. Was MUC-SFO on the original ticket UA or LH operated?

This will probably be YMMV by agent based on whether the schedule change actually broke the connection in SFO, and whether there are reasonable UA-operated alternatives. But if you are persistent you should find someone willing to do it.

jsloan Jan 12, 2023 9:11 am

Originally Posted by angetenar (Post 34917926)
Booked CAI-MUC-SFO-LAX on a cash ticket, SFO-LAX shifted by 40 minutes, trying to rebook onto MUC-LAX on LH 452/UA 8860. Fare classes on the flight are J9 C9 D9.

Yeah, there's almost no chance you're going to talk an agent into that.

Originally Posted by findark (Post 34917947)
This will probably be YMMV by agent based on whether the schedule change actually broke the connection in SFO, and whether there are reasonable UA-operated alternatives. But if you are persistent you should find someone willing to do it.

OK, granted that if SFO-LAX was moved 40 minutes earlier, and there are no other options, you might be successful. But I don't think it's likely that there are no other options. :)

Lux Flyer Jan 12, 2023 9:23 am

Not going to happen unless the agent ignores the guidelines completely. Their protection agreements to rebook onto LHG when it isn't a LHG initiated schedule change, require the schedule change to have been over 2 hours or a misconnect with no available UA options to get to original destination within 2 hours of original arrival time.

WineCountryUA Jan 12, 2023 9:28 am

What was the connection time in SFO before and after the schedule change.

angetenar Jan 12, 2023 9:37 am

Before it was a bit over 2.5 hours, after it was a bit under 2 so yeah, SFO-LAX was moved earlier.

findark Jan 12, 2023 9:50 am

If the connection is still legal and doesn't seem crazy to the average human, you probably won't get that change approved.

physioprof Jan 12, 2023 11:31 am

Originally Posted by angetenar (Post 34918029)
Before it was a bit over 2.5 hours, after it was a bit under 2 so yeah, SFO-LAX was moved earlier.

Using this de minimus schedule change that keeps you well within a reasonable connection time as the supposed basis to get moved from a connecting itinerary on UA flights to a non-stop on another airline seems like a zero-chance proposition...

dkc192 Jan 12, 2023 12:02 pm

I agree it's a long shot, but try starting off with the UA codeshare flight number (if you haven't already).

angetenar Jan 12, 2023 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 (Post 34918493)
I agree it's a long shot, but try starting off with the UA codeshare flight number (if you haven't already).

I indeed did start off with the UA codeshare number but no potato. Ah, well, it was worth a try.

DELee Jan 12, 2023 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar (Post 34918529)
I indeed did start off with the UA codeshare number but no potato. Ah, well, it was worth a try.

Hey - if you didn't ask, you'd never know.

David

sadiqhassan Jan 15, 2023 12:39 am

Original Post:

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan (Post 34809488)
I had booked an EWR-YYZ-DXB ticket (UA flight numbers both segments operated by AC). I had a relatively minor schedule change and the layover went from ~1h25m to 1h5m. The EWR-YYZ flight is never on time and we are fairly flexible if we miss the connection but 1h5m makes an already tight connection almost impossible (especially for luggage). Initially when we booked the options were ~1h25m or 4h but now the earlier flight EWR-YYZ (operated by UA) gets us in with a 2h41 layover. We are booked in P and the EWR-YYZ UA operated flight has seats in P by itself, but EWR-YYZ-DXB does not. Agent wants $7,000 to move to the earlier flight. Is this a HUCA situation or no chance of going to earlier flight given that the change is not >30m? I have found some alternatives on *A from Toronto in case we miss our layover, but I suspect it will be a mess with a UA ticketed AC metal situation.

Thanks

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 34871034)
The problem is that UA doesn't have to do anything. You are asking for a voluntary change and that comes with a re-pricing. Your itinerary still meets MCT and the schedule change was < 30 minutes.
If you find a willing agent if might be possible, especially now that inventory is available ... but you are still asking for an exception ...
In case EWR-YYZ is delayed, don't even fly to YYZ ... get it re-booked at EWR by either AC (their problem at that point) or otherwise you got UA around everywhere.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach (Post 34871084)
The underlying problem is that UA can't figure out how to give agents the flexibility to do something that is plainly in everyone's interest when they can't reliably deliver on their schedule for a route. How many agent hours is it going to take up if this guy has to get rebooked? If his bags get lost in transit in a foreign country?

Agree OP has a problem on its face: - the rules don't permit anything here. But anyone with two brain cells and the authority to use them at UA would make this happen. I would hope that over the coming years, the tech stack makes rebooking online more functional so agents aren't wasting their time with rote, rules-based work, and the ones that remain are empowered to work on win-win solutions.

Just wanted to post the (positive) resolution in case others run into similar issues in the future. An agent (I think this was HUCA #7, I had long given up but my wife was determined) stated that she would change our flight to the earlier one as an exception. Our flight left on time and we (and bags) made our connection. Our original EWR-YYZ flight was almost 3 hours delayed and would have resulted in a missed connection. Thanks everyone for your help!

whlinder Jan 15, 2023 8:34 am

Purchased about 3 weeks ago on an A320; as a gold selected my trusty window exit row. Flight is Monday afternoon; last night get a text of an equipment change on the flight and I have been reassigned to a middle seat in said exit row.
Get on the app, see the equipment has been changed to an A319. OK, that's fine, but the seat I had before (same number in the exit row) is now occupied.
Highly displeased.

I get that for IRROPS trying to rebook everyone that the seating algorithm is going to go in order of status and I'm fine with that. I've experienced a cancelled flight where in rebooking everyone on the next one I went from E+ to an aisle in the back. That's fine and I accept where my priority sits in such an situation. But this is two days before departure just swapping out the aircraft. Redoing the entirety of selected seating arrangements by status really bothers me (#23 on the upgrade list for this one). That's not cool.

I'll stalk the flight of course to try to improve on it as I love my window seat, but this really bugs me.