Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am sorry to hear you were unsuccessful as I did that trip in PE this year and it gets 125% of the miles for MP (as used my MP # in the reservation), and I have also booked my flights to Australia in PE in qualifying fare class. Also, as I am *G I am able to book the FF seats on the NZ websitze.

However, I booked directly with NZ. I did not need the PQD as I will meet the minimum this year.
I'll probably qualify for gold in '18, but I'm doing a heck of a lot of travel at personal expense and it's sad that if they would have allowed UA to ticket I would at least have Silver now and mileage wise I will exceed 50k PQM.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PSPAirliner
Did get one very good agent. Booked my UA flights to/from LAX. Gave her Class and farebasis. Rate desk said Eva does not allow united to ticket T class which is the 2nd highest class for PE). They also could not ticket my Air New Zealand LAX/LHR/LAX in PE and they wanted 3 times the amount to book LH intra in business. This year I will not make PQD waiver on Chase card though I did last year.

As for foreign address, might not happen to 2 or most likely early 3rd quarter
For the record, your agent was exactly correct (and very good for being so).

The carriers which can plate discount PE on 016 are: NH, LH, AC
Most other carriers don't allow it (e.g. NZ*, BR, SK).

And also correct that LH Group now requires full fare in order to off-plate intra-EU fares. It's a very distressing move across *A to make it harder to earn UA PQD.

*Was looking at NZ A fares and... I'm practically speechless. SFO-AKL starts at $4,500 r/t Meanwhile LAX-AKL is $1,800...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:07 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
OK, so probably asked and answered before, but my search didn't come up with anything. I'm on EWR-SFO-SIN next month and have both UA Silver (from Marriott PLT) and OZ Silver. Not sure if OZ Silver gets me E+ seating at checkin or if I have to keep the UA number until after checkin then ask, nicely, to change to my OZ account (since I'll end up with *G once the flights are done.) And so?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rbAA
Not sure if OZ Silver gets me E+ seating at checkin or if I have to keep the UA number until after checkin then ask, nicely, to change to my OZ account (since I'll end up with *G once the flights are done.) And so?
OZ Silver gets you nothing. And OZ Gold won't get you E+ either.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:15 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Thanks, that's what I thought. Not planning on flying UA very much, but OZ DIA gets lounge access, plus is good for 24 months, and can use that same 24 months to requalify.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold , Marriott Platinum. Both earned BIS/Nights
Originally Posted by findark
For the record, your agent was exactly correct (and very good for being so).

The carriers which can plate discount PE on 016 are: NH, LH, AC
Most other carriers don't allow it (e.g. NZ*, BR, SK).

And also correct that LH Group now requires full fare in order to off-plate intra-EU fares. It's a very distressing move across *A to make it harder to earn UA PQD.

*Was looking at NZ A fares and... I'm practically speechless. SFO-AKL starts at $4,500 r/t Meanwhile LAX-AKL is $1,800...
This past Mar I grabbed LAX-LHR R/T in A (PE) on NZ for $1365--travel was in May. Excellent service. Truly like C on other airlines in terms of food quality, presentation etc. FA's wonderful. In PE drinks made from full size bottles
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A simple question to other fellow UA flyers here.

I have a booking from DUB to DEN via IAD (so 4 segments in total). I've applied GPUs to both ways and I got cleared for 1 segment so far (IAD-DUB). I'm thinking to change the itinerary but would like to keep the segment on which I have the upgrade (first time getting Polaris, so wouldn't want to miss it).

If I use the "change flight" feature on the UA website, and come up with a completely different route which still keeps the last original segment, would I lose the upgrade I got or will it stick?

Obviously I'm looking for a definite answer from someone that's done this before, not a "could/should" type.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lucianf
If I use the "change flight" feature on the UA website, and come up with a completely different route which still keeps the last original segment, would I lose the upgrade I got or will it stick?
You should be able to keep the upgrade, but only if you do it over the phone and specifically mention it. The website's change feature is, in general, just really bad.
lucianf and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lucianf
I am 99.9% sure that will error out if you try to do it online.

I would not even try, you'll have to get on the phone to straighten it out, and it will take longer than if you had just called in the first place.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I am 99.9% sure that will error out if you try to do it online.

I would not even try, you'll have to get on the phone to straighten it out, and it will take longer than if you had just called in the first place.
+1

Just had this experience last night with the web (error) and called the (IT support) number listed and was on the line for absolutely ages. Firstly, you are on hold for an insanely long amount of time, BUT they do resolve the issue and are very pleasant and polite to deal with.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:16 pm

I'm confused about why I only earned about ~33% of my traveled miles as award miles for my recent ticket. In my MP activity page, it shows:

Code:
Description                      Base Miles	Bonus Miles	Total Miles	      PQ Miles           Segments	      Dollars 
UA Express 4160-V class
Columbia-Chicago (ORD)             215		      0	              215              666               1                $43

United 563-V class 
Chicago (ORD)-Vancouver            385		      0	              385            1,764               1                $77
Hopefully that table came out readable.

They're V class, so shouldn't that be 100% in award miles (666 and 1764, respectively), as well as 100% PQD?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
I'm confused about why I only earned about ~33% of my traveled miles as award miles for my recent ticket. In my MP activity page, it shows:

Code:
Description                      Base Miles	Bonus Miles	Total Miles	      PQ Miles           Segments	      Dollars 
UA Express 4160-V class
Columbia-Chicago (ORD)             215		      0	              215              666               1                $43

United 563-V class 
Chicago (ORD)-Vancouver            385		      0	              385            1,764               1                $77
Hopefully that table came out readable.

They're V class, so shouldn't that be 100% in award miles (666 and 1764, respectively), as well as 100% PQD?
Redeemable miles (RDMs) are based on your qualified dollar spend (5 miles per each dollar as a general MP member) - $43 x 5 = 215 and $77 * 5 = 385.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Redeemable miles (RDMs) are based on your qualified dollar spend (5 miles per each dollar as a general MP member) - $43 x 5 = 215 and $77 * 5 = 385.
Right, sorry, I forget UA changed their RDM earning basis. Old habits die hard.

I'm going to have to reevaluate how I value my award miles now, since I'm getting so few award miles per trip....I thought I was going to get almost 5000 miles for a $320 RT ticket. Instead, I'm getting 600, almost a tenth of that.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
RI thought I was going to get almost 5000 miles for a $320 RT ticket. Instead, I'm getting 600, almost a tenth of that.
Kind of explains why they made the change.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I recently booked SFO-AKL-SYD on UA/NZ via an OTA (neither .bomb nor NZ's website would price it). Issued as a 086 ticket with SFO-AKL in V.

SFO-AKL was R1 so I GPUd it. Now the res shows fine on UA (no reissue-required message, new receipt showing R sent to me, etc.), but NZ sees the res as AKL-SYD only (the previous SFO-AKL in Y segment has disappeared, and not been replaced by SFO-AKL in R/J.) My presumption is the resync-but-not-reissue behaviour you get upon applying a GPU doesn't play nice with NZ's system.

Two questions: 1) How much of a problem is this? Since first flight of the itin is on UA, I presume OLCI will be a UA thing anyway, and if UA sees the seg I can't see there being an issue (feels similar to the 'missing seg' problem on GPUd LH flights).

2) If it is a problem, who should I contact? UA, NZ, the OTA?

Thanks

Edit: worth saying Saudia returns an error when I try to pull the ticket, which is what prompted me to express some concern in the first place.

Last edited by sfo789; Oct 22, 2017 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.