Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Does it still take like 14 days to get miles redeposited after cancelling an award ticket?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Does it still take like 14 days to get miles redeposited after cancelling an award ticket?
It can but it can be quicker.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Interesting Pricing

How does this work, especially since the PQD shows the same? I've shown one of these types of things before, but this $ spread is larger.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
How does this work, especially since the PQD shows the same? I've shown one of these types of things before, but this $ spread is larger.
Seems last seat on the plance, there maybe be different fare basis, all will F fare class. As the PQDs seem the same (to the whole dollar) there may be some tax or airport fee difference. Without the fare construction details, its only guessing.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It can but it can be quicker.
It actually posted this morning. Didn't expect that fast of a turn around.

On a side note, the award ticket I wanted to book is now gone, literally 12 hours later from when I last checked it. Revenue ticket search shows that the same number of seats are still available on the flight, so the system seems to have pulled the award ticket from the pool. The flight date is about 5 months out.

How long do you think it would take for the award ticket to be released again?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How long do you think it would take for the award ticket to be released again?
There's no way to know if or when. Maybe five minutes, maybe never.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no way to know if or when. Maybe five minutes, maybe never.
Yeah, I thought so.

I ran the award search again, this time with only one person instead of two, the flight showed up. Seems like the system saw I was trying to get two tickets together and then reduced the space to one overnight. I did run a ton of searches last night, so their search logs probably got polluted and the system reacted accordingly thinking there was a lot of demand for those seats.

Anyway, I booked the one ticket available. Will just keep running the search every morning until the second one pops up again.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:18 pm

.... I did run a ton of searches last night, so their search logs probably got polluted and the system reacted accordingly thinking there was a lot of demand for those seats.....
There is little to no indication that occurs.

More likely someone else picked up 1 award on the one leg with only 2 award seats available.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There is little to no indication that occurs.

More likely someone else picked up 1 award on the one leg with only 2 award seats available.
Yup. Or a booking into R, PN, or P would all likely reduce I by one.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:34 pm
She

Two questions:

Are E+ "upgrades" any cheaper when you wait till check-in to purchase?
Is there a way to tell how full a flight will be? I've heard the seat map is not a reliable indicator.

We are flying SFO - HKG next week. The seat map shows that the flight is about half empty. I find that a bit hard to believe
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:52 pm

I want to purchase the exact itinerary with $ that I already have booked with miles - has anyone done this?

Is calling the best bet or can the website handle cancelling and then immediately rebooking?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by She
.... Are E+ "upgrades" any cheaper when you wait till check-in to purchase? .... ...
sometimes but hard to be able to depend on it and waiting late will limit your seat selection.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...aper-gate.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-dynamic.html

Originally Posted by She
.... Is there a way to tell how full a flight will be? I've heard the seat map is not a reliable indicator. ...
Flight loads are proprietary information but Expert Mode does provide fare class inventory numbers (capped at 9) -- but once the lower fare class start selling out, it does start providing indications the flight is getting full.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
I want to purchase the exact itinerary with $ that I already have booked with miles - has anyone done this? ...
There is no method for converting an existing mileage flight to a paid flight.

There is many times a method for cash purchasing an flight found in an award search.

Originally Posted by Will Dearborn
... Is calling the best bet or can the website handle cancelling and then immediately rebooking?
Calling to book a new itin is the only way.

And seat assignments will be lost but the seat should become available quickly after canceling the previous award.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by findark
The GDS only has room for one meal code so they list the departure meal.
Not entirely true. Some systems/carriers support listing multiple meals for a flight. Very few interfaces display that data, however.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:35 am

I have DUB>EWR>ORD>DSM scheduled on an Economy Saver Award ticket. I see now that there is availability on Turkish for a Business Saver ticket, going DUB>IST (15 hr layover)>ORD>DSM.

Is it possible to pay the difference in miles to make this change? And, if possible, would you recommend it? I have heard good things about Turkish business class, but the 15 hour layover is off putting. Would I be able to use the Turkish lounge in IST during that time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.