Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ualcaptive
I gather from the flight info that you mean LH (Lufthansa). In that case the answer is yes. I don't think Lao Central (LF) operates that route.

Assuming it's LH the answer is yes. Useful chart here:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/qualify.aspx
LF is FlyNordic, which could easily sell LH-marketed, UA-operated flights.

Either way, whether it's LH or LF-sold, if it's UA-operated it'll earn according to the UA chart.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sorry but K on LH / Lufthansa is non-mileage earning.
OP mentioned it's UA-operated though, and LH7603 is.. Am I misremembering something here?

edit: you deleted your own post! what a cheater.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
LF is FlyNordic, which could easily sell LH-marketed, UA-operated flights.

Either way, whether it's LH or LF-sold, if it's UA-operated it'll earn according to the UA chart.

OP mentioned it's UA-operated though, and LH7603 is.. Am I misremembering something here?

edit: you deleted your own post! what a cheater.
Thank you all. I meant Lufthansa, and it was my typo.

I called Premier call center (I have a Gold), and she did not know. She said that it depends on how Lufthansa "K" class gets translated to United Fare class. I thought the Lufthansa K class is equal to United K class. But she would not guarantee it. So, I decided to ask in this forum, and you guys clarified it. Thanks
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by rrnet
Thank you all. I meant Lufthansa, and it was my typo.

I called Premier call center (I have a Gold), and she did not know. She said that it depends on how Lufthansa "K" class gets translated to United Fare class. I thought the Lufthansa K class is equal to United K class. But she would not guarantee it. So, I decided to ask in this forum, and you guys clarified it. Thanks
That's 100% correct. It will PROBABLY/MOST LIKELY credit as UA K - but even a slightly different fare class will still earn 100%.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:39 pm

Hi. I do not know if this is simple but my name shows up differently on domestic flights and international flights. I tried to have my bags checked through the other day and the PNRs could not initially be combined because the names didn't match. My domestic prints with Ms in the name. Is there a way to change my name on my own, through the website? It makes no sense as to why this occurs as I booked both tickets through the website.

Thank you.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Hi. I do not know if this is simple but my name shows up differently on domestic flights and international flights. I tried to have my bags checked through the other day and the PNRs could not initially be combined because the names didn't match. My domestic prints with Ms in the name. Is there a way to change my name on my own, through the website? It makes no sense as to why this occurs as I booked both tickets through the website.

Thank you.
You can not change your name on your ticket online (and generally UA will not change existing tickets).

For you MP account (which will autofill your ticket info), see Home > Contact us > MileagePlus > Name changes
Again you will need to contract UA to make this change.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You can not change your name on your ticket online (and generally UA will not change existing tickets).

For you MP account (which will autofill your ticket info), see Home > Contact us > MileagePlus > Name changes
Again you will need to contract UA to make this change.
Thanks. It is so bizarre to me in the first place that I have different names. The Ms is actually part of my name for domestic and no one has ever said anything. I never noticed the difference until I tried to check bags across two PNRs.

I guess I will take care of this when I return to the US.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by daisyatl

Thank you.
If it just a difference in title, I would not worry about it. It should not cause any issues for travel. I have traveled with LAST/FIRSTMIDDLE, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEMR, LAST/FIRSTMMR, LAST/FIRSTM etc. It makes no difference.

You cannot "combine" PNRs in any meaningful way anyway; checking bags across separate PNRs is always a bit of a tricky process and I don't think the lack of a string match between names is a huge deal.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by findark
If it just a difference in title, I would not worry about it. It should not cause any issues for travel. I have traveled with LAST/FIRSTMIDDLE, LAST/FIRSTMIDDLEMR, LAST/FIRSTMMR, LAST/FIRSTM etc. It makes no difference.

You cannot "combine" PNRs in any meaningful way anyway; checking bags across separate PNRs is always a bit of a tricky process and I don't think the lack of a string match between names is a huge deal.
Thanks. They did manage to check the bags all the way through but only after a supervisor stepped in. That then led to a slight problem at the gate because I was told I no longer had a ticket (though I had two seats - was upgraded, twice for some reason). But once the gate agent saw my boarding pass, it was all fine. The first agent attributed her inability to check bags across the PNRs to the name issue. I have this same routing again in December so I definitely hope they can sort it out or I get the same supervisor.

I am just confused as to why the names don't match.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: None anymore
I'm flying to SFO from ICN via NRT in two months, and now that UA is eliminating the 5th freedom flight I'm flying OZ on the first leg. This means I have a 6.5 hour layover. I want to leave the airport but I don't want to have my bag with me. Do you suggest:

1. Go ahead and check the bag with OZ and assume that the handoff to UA will be fine? I never check bags so I literally don't have experience checking with UA or anything like that.
2. Carry on with OZ, but then exit NRT with the bag and check it at the counter ~6 hours before the flight, then leave the airport and come back later.

Any advice?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:13 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by warrenw

Any advice?
1. should work, no need to check it at NRT and waste time.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I want to leave the airport but I don't want to have my bag with me.
Just check it through. UA likely won't let you check it at NRT 6 hours prior to departure anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm flying to SFO from ICN via NRT in two months, and now that UA is eliminating the 5th freedom flight I'm flying OZ on the first leg. This means I have a 6.5 hour layover. I want to leave the airport but I don't want to have my bag with me. Do you suggest:

1. Go ahead and check the bag with OZ and assume that the handoff to UA will be fine? I never check bags so I literally don't have experience checking with UA or anything like that.
2. Carry on with OZ, but then exit NRT with the bag and check it at the counter ~6 hours before the flight, then leave the airport and come back later.

Any advice?
I would check the bag with OZ. I’ve sometimes run into agents who won’t check a bag more than 4 hours before a flight.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: None anymore
Thanks for the advice guys!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: United Mileageplus
MP Earnings on united metal ticket booked via Austrian

I have the option to book a flight purely on united metal via Austrian Airlines website. I have a MileagePlus account and would like to earn united PQM/PQD for this trip.

Would I earn the PQM / PQD as per united airlines rules and policies if I end up booking the above trip (i.e. travel on united metal on an Austrian Airlines ticket) similar to if I had booked it on the united website ?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by unitedfly
I have the option to book a flight purely on united metal via Austrian Airlines website. I have a MileagePlus account and would like to earn united PQM/PQD for this trip.

Would I earn the PQM / PQD as per united airlines rules and policies if I end up booking the above trip (i.e. travel on united metal on an Austrian Airlines ticket) similar to if I had booked it on the united website ?
If every segment is on UA metal, you will get the same MP earnings regardless of ticket stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.