Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Before I was a Premier, I realized that if you call one of the U.S. special language numbers (Hebrew, Portuguese etc.) after hours (their hours are listed on their website), you will be connected to the Premier Desk.

It will play a message in the language that you are calling saying that they are after hours, but if you stay on the line, you get connected to a U.S. based Premier agent.

These agents are the most competent and are usually very friendly and can quickly help with requests, including booking an award as you had asked.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Is there any rhyme or reason to United's domestic award availability? I'm looking for YVR-EWR (I know not exactly domestic, but hear me out) on a random Friday in April. Not a saver award in economy across the country. There's no BIZ saver, but I just accept that, plus I'm not sure I'd want it anyway. But it seems like this happens often when I search, I wanna try and avoid Air Canada due to fuel surcharges, but I get forced on them because there's not a seat on anything operated by UA.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: United (Gold), Delta
United companion upgrade question

Question regarding UA companion upgrades:

I am planning to travel (domestically in US) with my son. When the time comes to process upgrades, if only one upgrade seat is available, will UA process one of us for upgrade, or is it going to be "all or nothing?"
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MorePolka
Question regarding UA companion upgrades:

I am planning to travel (domestically in US) with my son. When the time comes to process upgrades, if only one upgrade seat is available, will UA process one of us for upgrade, or is it going to be "all or nothing?"
If you're on the same reservation, you will be updated as a pair or not at all. If you wish to have a chance to be upgraded at the gate, you'll need to split your reservation during the check-in process; gate upgrades are always processed one-by-one, so there's always a chance that one of you could get upgraded and the other not.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:09 pm

I'm newly minted Silver and I have a question about upgrade chances and E+ availability. This isn't specifically United but more about flying habits:
I plan to fly over Christmas with my wife but I'm unsure where. We're either going to pay for J or fly Y if it is reasonably reliable we'll get E+. My thinking is that most statused individuals are business travelers so my changes of an E+ seat being free is relatively good over the week of Christmas. If it helps me at all, I'd even fly on Christmas itself. Is my thinking correct? If not, we'll just fly J to Central America instead of E+ to Europe.

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I'm newly minted Silver and I have a question about upgrade chances and E+ availability. This isn't specifically United but more about flying habits:
I plan to fly over Christmas with my wife but I'm unsure where. We're either going to pay for J or fly Y if it is reasonably reliable we'll get E+. My thinking is that most statused individuals are business travelers so my changes of an E+ seat being free is relatively good over the week of Christmas. If it helps me at all, I'd even fly on Christmas itself. Is my thinking correct? If not, we'll just fly J to Central America instead of E+ to Europe.

Thanks
Although not based on attentive observation, my vague sense drawn from experiences is that on/near holidays E+ is not heavily populated, especially on international flights. I.e. you have a good chance of E+, and probably even together (asking a lot, I know).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Thanks
Yes, your logic is sound. Christmas is also a good time to get really cheap J fares (if booked in advance) and clear upgrades overwater.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I have flown, or had other companions fly, TATL and TPAC over Christmas on UA for several years now. On 12/23-5 you should be fine: I once saw a LHR-SFO with exactly 4 people in E+ on Christmas Day. 12/26 will be fine for E+, but often bad for extra space -- I regularly see TATL on that day oversold badly in the back for post-Christmas leisure travellers, who have no seat assignment and get comped E+ at check-in as a result.

That said, you'd still get E+, and even better there is a (tiny) chance of an op-up... once saw a silver get the op-up on AMS-IAH for that reason.

Safe travels!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by findark
Christmas is also a good time to get really cheap J fares (if booked in advance) and clear upgrades overwater.
I've been monitoring premium fare deals and haven't seen any TATL sub $2k other than the $2k to Bucharest. I'd be flying out of AUS, SAT, IAH, DFW (ordered from most convenient to least). My budget is a max of $4k for the both of us and that's only if we find a great product so that's why I figured E+ to TATL and J for LIM or something.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've been monitoring premium fare deals and haven't seen any TATL sub $2k other than the $2k to Bucharest. I'd be flying out of AUS, SAT, IAH, DFW (ordered from most convenient to least). My budget is a max of $4k for the both of us and that's only if we find a great product so that's why I figured E+ to TATL and J for LIM or something.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Yeah, Christmas and Thanksgiving deals are usually roughly a springtime thing; the "regular" deep discount P fares often have a 150-day AP requirement.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Is there any rhyme or reason to United's domestic award availability? I'm looking for YVR-EWR (I know not exactly domestic, but hear me out) on a random Friday in April. Not a saver award in economy across the country. There's no BIZ saver, but I just accept that, plus I'm not sure I'd want it anyway. But it seems like this happens often when I search, I wanna try and avoid Air Canada due to fuel surcharges, but I get forced on them because there's not a seat on anything operated by UA.
YVR-EWR is most likely YVR-SFO-EWR.

SFO-EWR is a tough ticket in awards, especially in business. So that's your issue. May have to find routings via ORD or something. Try even PHL. (should force via DEN).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Yeah, Christmas and Thanksgiving deals are usually roughly a springtime thing; the "regular" deep discount P fares often have a 150-day AP requirement.
150-day AP?! I never imagined such a thing.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by aacharya
YVR-EWR is most likely YVR-SFO-EWR.
YVR-EWR non-stop exists seasonally.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
150-day AP?! I never imagined such a thing.
Yup. The "really good" fares you'll get in the Premium Deals forum are usually transient and 0-day fares, but the standard table often has then (especially Europe). For example, SFO-FRA for various types of buyers:

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Cxr     Basis      BC  Cbn    Price   Tp  AP  Min  Max   Days    Rf  
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 UA  PX6NC15E       P   J  $1,740.00  RT 150    S  12M   -XA-     N
 UA  PW6NC15E       P   J  $1,790.00  RT 150    S  12M   -WA-     N
 UA  PX1NC90E       P   J  $1,990.00  RT  90   10  12M   -XA-     N
 UA  PW1NC90E       P   J  $2,040.00  RT  90   10  12M   -WA-     N
 UA  PX7NC90E       P   J  $2,140.00  RT  90    7  12M   -XA-     N
 UA  PW7NC90E       P   J  $2,190.00  RT  90    7  12M   -WA-     N
 UA  PH7NC28E       P   J  $2,249.50  RT  28    7  12M            N
 UA  PH6NC28E       P   J  $2,399.50  RT  28    S  12M            N
 UA  ZX6NC28E       Z   J  $4,049.50  RT  28    S  12M   -XA-     N
 UA  ZW6NC28E       Z   J  $4,149.50  RT  28    S  12M   -WA-     N
 UA  ZX6NC14E       Z   J  $4,149.50  RT  14    S  12M   -XA-     N
 UA  ZW6NC14E       Z   J  $4,249.50  RT  14    S  12M   -WA-     N
 UA  D0RC14E        D   J  $4,524.50  RT  14       12M            N
 UA  D6RC0E         D   J  $4,524.50  RT        S  12M            N
 UA  D0RC0E         D   J  $4,699.50  RT           12M            N
 UA  JX1            J   J  $9,653.00  OW                          Y
The last two P fares on the list are for Christmas and Thanksgiving/Christmas/next summer only, and it's worth noting all of these fares are terrible as they don't even include YQ of ~$500 each way. But United knows the sound of money raining down on business travelers making this trip.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:26 pm

My wife, 2 yr old, and I are flying. I am silver and my wife has no status. We bought a seat for the toddler. How can I get E+ for all 3 of us? I am willing to pay for one E+ and get two others for free at checkin. Should I wait till T-24 for the purchase?

Looking to minimize cost here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.