Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Sorry I thought I mentioned that it did price on United's site.

It prices on google flights, then the direct link to United.com produced the same result. But then just for testing purposes, I searched directly on United.com to make sure I could get the same price and sure enough I did.

That's the only reason I'm really asking, is because IMO, if something is on your site, it should be able to be bought.

As a Canadian, our cell providers aren't as friendly as yours in the US, and I'm no longer with one of the big providers that offers these kinda passes anymore. I'll try the skype thing or something though, thanks!
Originally Posted by EmailKid
This is the reason. Ran into it many, many times. And yes, ITA defaults to departure city as PoS, but can easily be changed.

Used skype from Asia quite a few times, though in my case for existing UA caused problems that UA inflicted on my while I was in middle of my journey.
Indeed Skype should work. As an alternative, with internet service google voice calls to US phone numbers should be always free from whatever the originating locale. Essentially it's viewed as a US-US call.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fumje
As an alternative, with internet service google voice calls to US phone numbers should be always free from whatever the originating locale.
In order to sign up for Google Voice, you need a U.S. phone number.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In order to sign up for Google Voice, you need a U.S. phone number.
Perhaps I am being imprecise, or perhaps I am a legacy case. If you have a gmail account it seems to be possible to activate the google phone service if 'English (US)' is declared as your language preference (and possibly the default phone country code as US). This does not require a US phone number. However, I am uncertain if google's criteria have changed, and I am unwilling to do tests with these settings.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:52 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
UA will give CPU to Star Alliance elites, with Star Gold being ranked behind UA Golds but above UA Silvers, and Star Silvers after UA Silvers…

I'm 90% sure this used to be the policy, but cannot actually confirm it by searching online right now. Can anyone confirm whether I'm just plain crazy?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
UA will give CPU to Star Alliance elites, with Star Gold being ranked behind UA Golds but above UA Silvers, and Star Silvers after UA Silvers…

I'm 90% sure this used to be the policy, but cannot actually confirm it by searching online right now. Can anyone confirm whether I'm just plain crazy?
Have never heard of this. And it certainly has never been written policy.

Complimentary Premier® Upgrades are space-available, complimentary upgrades on select United- and United Express®-operated flights. They are available to all Premier members, as well as to a companion traveling on the same reservation as the Premier member. Learn more about Premier status.
Non-UA *G might be considered in op-ups but even that I would doubt.

SDC is reportedly available to non-UA *G.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Definitely not the published policy, and if the system did this I think we would hear about it more.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2017 at 5:13 pm Reason: split post
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:22 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

No comment on your second statement, but UA would upgrade Silvers before upgrading *A Golds, IF theey ever did, which AFAIK they did not.
ter.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 2, 2017 at 5:14 pm Reason: split post
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:31 pm

Hello - I am looking at some mileage award tickets and currently there is only standard awards available (Christmas time to Peru).

However, the plane is completely empty. If I were to book three seats at the standard rate, is there a chance the rates drop to Saver Awards? If so, as GS, does that mean I can just cancel my 3 tickets and re-book at the Award rate?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Hello - I am looking at some mileage award tickets and currently there is only standard awards available (Christmas time to Peru).

However, the plane is completely empty. If I were to book three seats at the standard rate, is there a chance the rates drop to Saver Awards?
A reduction in Standard award inventory would not cause Saver inventory to appear.

Originally Posted by nygiants242
If so, as GS, does that mean I can just cancel my 3 tickets and re-book at the Award rate?
Not sure I follow. If you’re GS, why not simply call the UA GS line and ask if they’ll open Saver inventory for you? My understanding is that’s one of the perks of GS status — but it may require there to be equivalent R space available.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
My husband flew SEA-YVR-PEK on AC in Premium Economy and forgot to enter his MP number when booking. It was AC ticket stock, not a UA codeshare, and I'm now trying to request mileage via the UA website. He returned 9/24. I keep getting an error whenever I enter the ticket number (I've tried several times, on several days, at different times of the day). Any idea what's going on? Can I call UA and get this straightened out and request mileage over the phone?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If it prices out on united.com, what about using Skype or Google Voice to Web Support.

It has to price out on united.com. Pricing out anywhere else does not count. If you wait and it does not price out on united.com, you'll get no help. A screenshot of something a few days ago is not likely to get the needed help.

Another solution depending on your cell phone carrier is to purchase a single one-day unlimited international access --- such as AT&T International Day Pass for $10/day if in an eligible country.
So here's the update.

It's now been like 5 days since I started seeing this fare. I'm finally back in Canada so I made the call today after searching it again on United.com (and finding MANY different dates/flight times) when it errored out.

A nice lady from the Filipino call centre started looking into it and 58:00 later she said there was nothing she can do. Surprise surprise. So she put me through to her supervisor. Who took another 37:00 to tell me there was nothing she can do because Copa was giving them false inventory or whatever.

How is this MY problem? Your website is advertising me a product, for a totally reasonable price, I should be able to buy it. Everything else is your concern.

What I was hoping the supervisor would do, which is reasonable to me, maybe I'm way off...is to force the price, sell it to me, then take the fare down until it could be fixed/updated/whatever. Naturally she told me they couldn't do that, because the S class I was seeing wasn't actually available...again, not my problem. Don't display it if you can't sell it. Get me the Y fare, or hell, just buy my the next cheapest Econ fare, sell it to me for the price you're advertising, then take it down. When Copa comes calling for the missing money, you show them the inventory problems.

Not exactly the same situation, but similar, when Aeroplan screwed up an award booking for me, they lost my Business class award space on a flight, and when they couldn't get it back, they went and just bought me a J fare. Which I went and earned miles on in the end. The point being, they fixed the problem by offering what they were advertising me by whatever means they had. It's not like they needed to do it for everyone who called, because no one else would be calling. In this case, sell it to me, meanwhile take the fare down immediately...it's been there for at least 5 days, count yourself lucky it hasn't caused any issues and as a recompense for ME calling and notifying you of the problem, sell me the fare you're advertising and deal with it on your end.

Am I way out of line here? I just wasted 95 minutes of my life only to be told "I'm going to send a report to our department to check the fares". Seriously? That's it?

Does anyone have an appropriate email address I can send my concerns to?

This seems really ridiculous to me. There's always the debate about mistake fare/real, but it's not like I'm trying to buy a $20 fare instead of a $2000 fare. YVR-MDE can regularly be had on AM for like $650, on Star Alliance routings, anywhere between $800-1200 CAD. This priced out at $834.

I don't want miles...I'm not fishing for an e-voucher. I just want to buy the damn fare I was advertised, because it's a good price, fits my dates/times and it keeps me on Star Alliance which I already have status on.

Sorry for the rant, but that 95 minutes really got my blood boiling because I kinda knew there was gonna be no solution, but it took them 95 minutes to get there and in the end I got nothing from it.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Flying < 3 hour flight hub-hub. Would you take 738, A320, or IPTE 772? Timing of the flight is fine regardless.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Flying < 3 hour flight hub-hub. Would you take 738, A320, or IPTE 772? Timing of the flight is fine regardless.
I was going to ask "what cabin", but I don't think it matters. IPTE 772 should be the best anyway, regardless of cabin. I guess the only concern would be they sub it out for a 3x4x3 economy bird, if you are seated in the back.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
10 hours later, the flight I want is still there. They seem to have taken 1 down, or just by luck it went away, and it went up by $1.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:05 pm

United vs Aeroplan

I live in Buffalo, but typically fly about 45,000 actual miles on Air Canada from Toronto to Europe and China. For the last couple years I have been accumulating the miles in my UMP account, but don't get UM status because I am spending just on AC tickets.

I usually fly AC business class, so get 200% back in mileage on UA, but was wondering if it made any sense to switch plans. I know I would only be getting a 150% multiplier on AC, plus the taxes and fees on reward tickets look to be quite a bit higher than on UA. Are the perks at the 50K level through AC/Aeroplan worth the discount I would be taking on mileage earned and the excess fees?

For reward tickets, it doesn't matter much if I fly from Buffalo or Toronto, but I would most likely be heading to Europe or the Caribbean. Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.