Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a simple question or not, but here goes.
This Saturday I'll be flying to Bali (paid flight on EVA). The plan is to stay there for a few days, then I have United award travel booked, Bali to Kathmandu, on a combination of EVA and Thai. Now, you may have seen in the news that Bali is currently at the highest risk level for volcanic eruption, and they are on standby to divert flights if it becomes necessary.
Basically, I'm flying into a huge potential IRROPS situation and I would like to be prepared and know who would be best to call/talk to if things go awry. At what point does a partner award ticket become the responsibility of the partner airline rather than United?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by zymm
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a simple question or not, but here goes.
This Saturday I'll be flying to Bali (paid flight on EVA). The plan is to stay there for a few days, then I have United award travel booked, Bali to Kathmandu, on a combination of EVA and Thai. Now, you may have seen in the news that Bali is currently at the highest risk level for volcanic eruption, and they are on standby to divert flights if it becomes necessary.
Basically, I'm flying into a huge potential IRROPS situation and I would like to be prepared and know who would be best to call/talk to if things go awry. At what point does a partner award ticket become the responsibility of the partner airline rather than United?
Traditionally speaking, if a flight is cancelled or delayed as a result of IRROPS (rather than schedule change), it is the responsibility of the canceling or late-delivering (into a misconnect) carrier to rebook you. United, as the ticketing carrier, can also try to help at any time but their ability to rebook an award ticket onto partner metal is extremely limited.

I think the time boundary might technically be check-in, but others may know more.
zymm likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
If I can deal directly with EVA that would certainly be easiest for me, as I could potentially just cancel the last leg of my paid flight and the first leg of my award flight. Both have a layover in TPE, so I could just stay there for a few days instead of Bali. Doing this through United would probably be difficult as TPE is North Asia rather than South Asia, so it would screw up the pricing on the entire remainder of my trip.

Every report I've seen coming out of Bali makes it sound like the eruption is imminent...I hope everyone is okay, but if the eruption is going to happen I would selfishly like it to happen before Saturday morning so I can deal with everything without getting stuck on the island :/
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zymm
If I can deal directly with EVA that would certainly be easiest for me, as I could potentially just cancel the last leg of my paid flight and the first leg of my award flight. Both have a layover in TPE, so I could just stay there for a few days instead of Bali. Doing this through United would probably be difficult as TPE is North Asia rather than South Asia, so it would screw up the pricing on the entire remainder of my trip. ....
If you want to do something pro-actively, you will need to deal with the ticketing carrier.

If while traveling and an operating carrier makes a "change" r has difficulties, you deal with that operating carrier.
abaheti and zymm like this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I have a cheap ticket on ANA stock number. One of the flights is united coded and operated on a W fare. If a apply a GPU, will it reissue the ticket on United stock (don't want that to happen due to mileage earning on other star alliance carriers)?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 1KHI
I have a cheap ticket on ANA stock number. One of the flights is united coded and operated on a W fare. If a apply a GPU, will it reissue the ticket on United stock (don't want that to happen due to mileage earning on other star alliance carriers)?
No - UA will not re-issue the ticket.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I've never had a reason to do this but I am considering an open jaw trip from EWR to FCO/MIL/VCE and return to EWR next Sept and wanted to know if it's possible to book open jaw through the United site. So far I haven't seen anyway that it lets me do this without generating multiple one ways or searching one route at a time.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by AugustusM
I've never had a reason to do this but I am considering an open jaw trip from EWR to FCO/MIL/VCE and return to EWR next Sept and wanted to know if it's possible to book open jaw through the United site. So far I haven't seen anyway that it lets me do this without generating multiple one ways or searching one route at a time.
Paid or award travel has some different issues but generally, you use the multiple destination/multi-city option in the search engine.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
AugustusM, on the booking area of the United site, choose the option "Multi-City". This should allow you to set up a single itinerary with a single PNR (passenger name record) with the series of flights you desire which are bookable as an open-jaw string.

[Added note: WineCountryUA and I were replying at the same time, with same advice.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 29, 2017 at 11:49 am Reason: correct typo
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Anyone's guess at this point. I suspect it's not something UA would do proactively though

But there is always possibility that Thai will cancel the flight in case things get bad, and that would solve your problem.
They would only cancel the BKK-DPS leg right? Or would the full ticket cancel?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by andy2016
They would only cancel the BKK-DPS leg right? Or would the full ticket cancel?
TG would only cancel the BKK-DPS but that would allow you to cancel the whole ticket for no fee.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
TG would only cancel the BKK-DPS but that would allow you to cancel the whole ticket for no fee.
Makes sense. Cheers for the help it's appreciated ^.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Paid or award travel has some different issues but generally, you use the multiple destination/multi-city option in the search engine.
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
AugustusM, on the booking area of the United site, choose the option "Multi-City". This should allow you to set up a single itinerary with a single PNR (personal name record) with the series of flights you desire which are bookable as an open-jaw string.
Thanks guys, so obvious I should have known this. I always used the multi-city when I need to visit a couple sales agencies in a week but I never thought to do open jaw since I just normally book A-B, B-C, C-A.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm flying HKG-SFO-SNA in January, landing at 12:15pm. If I need to change the domestic leg, will I incur the international change fee?

For context: I've found out I need to be in WAS the following day. Assuming rebooking is more expensive than just tacking on another reservation, I'd appreciate some advice regarding a ton of equally lousy options.
1) Book SNA-(DEN/IAH/ORD)-WAS for $344 on the 1:33pm departure.

2) Book SNA-SFO-WAS for ~$364 on the 9pm departure. I prefer red-eyes, but doing HKG-SNA-SFO-SNA-SFO-WAS seems exhausting, plus sitting in John Wayne for eight hours sounds awful.

3) Book the $217 sale-fare LAX-BWI 9pm redeye on AZ, and drive up to LAX on a weekday (i.e. sit in traffic for 1-2 hours). Cost of an Uber is probably ~$80?

4) Fly the following day, and spend the night at home at SNA (least preferred).
If I call United, could I beg/beseech/petition/pray/plead for them to waive the change fee, and then do final routing HKG-SFO-(+LAX?)-WAS and add a WAS-SNA return leg? I made the original booking this past Monday (so, three days ago).

Last edited by Polytonic; Sep 28, 2017 at 11:46 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Polytonic
If I call United, could I beg/beseech/petition/pray/plead for them to waive the change fee, and then do final routing HKG-SFO-WAS and add a WAS-SNA return leg?
Changing that ticket will incur the international change fee plus a refare.

Have you considered booking SFO-WAS on a separate ticket (VX, DL, etc.), and just no-showing for SFO-SNA? That is probably your cheapest option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.