Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mount Agung (Bali) apparently likely to erupt but no UA travel waiver to DPS?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

I have a Mileageplus award on Thai Airways SYD-BKK-DPS booked for a few weeks from now. I want to cancel the flight because of the volcano that is about to erupt. Anyone know if they will waive change/cancel fees?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by andy2016
I have a Mileageplus award on Thai Airways SYD-BKK-DPS booked for a few weeks from now. I want to cancel the flight because of the volcano that is about to erupt. Anyone know if they will waive change/cancel fees?
Anyone's guess at this point. I suspect it's not something UA would do proactively though

But there is always possibility that Thai will cancel the flight in case things get bad, and that would solve your problem.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K

I find it absolutely bizarre that DPS isn't under IRROPS - I'm not a volcanologist but apparently Mount Agung has been and still is under the highest alert level and other airlines are apparently issuing travel waivers.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Not much reason to waiver an airport UA doesn't even fly to. If any partners (*A, IATA, etc) fly there they can have their own waivers that can apply to you.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by mduell
Not much reason to waiver an airport UA doesn't even fly to. If any partners (*A, IATA, etc) fly there they can have their own waivers that can apply to you.
I think that's irrelevant if you can buy a ticket there on 016 ticket stock which you can.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:44 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yup.

Originally Posted by ermintrude
I think that's irrelevant if you can buy a ticket there on 016 ticket stock which you can.
Uhm, no, it's quite relevant. Which carrier are you flying into DPS?

Waivers are issued by carriers, who a ticket is plated on is what's irrelevant.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The volcano has been on high alert for about a month.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Yup.

Uhm, no, it's quite relevant. Which carrier are you flying into DPS?

Waivers are issued by carriers, who a ticket is plated on is what's irrelevant.
According to a UA agent I just spoke with before originally posting if it's on 016 ticket stock there should be a notification/waiver if appropriate regardless of the carrier. They even looked up the situation and couldn't understand why UA hadn't issued a waiver.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ermintrude
According to a UA agent I just spoke with before originally posting if it's on 016 ticket stock there should be a notification/waiver if appropriate regardless of the carrier. They even looked up the situation and couldn't understand why UA hadn't issued a waiver.
Ok, let's start here, which airline, regardless of whether or not they fly there, currently have a waiver in place?

You do realize this has been going on for over a month with no disruption of flight schedules to date?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Ok, let's start here, which airline, regardless of whether or not they fly there, currently have a waiver in place?

You do realize this has been going on for over a month with no disruption of flight schedules to date?
And it is 75 km away from DPS

A report from last month --- http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...t-says/8986676

The evac zone is a circle of 12 km.

More recent news reports http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ng-news-latest
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Not sure that logic holds.

The currently active weather waiver United has in place includes JFK, which has no United flights.

New York City Area Weather
Airports:

New York/Newark, NJ (EWR)​
New York-Kennedy, NY (JFK)​
New York-LaGuardia, NY (LGA)​
White Plains, NY (HPN)​
​​​​​
Original travel date(s):

October 24, 2017 - October 25, 2017

Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before October 27, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the originally ticketed cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Not sure that logic holds.

The currently active weather waiver United has in place includes JFK, which has no United flights.
Isn’t all of NYC a co-terminal?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Isn’t all of NYC a co-terminal?
Here’s another example with airports that UA doesn’t fly to and isn’t a co Terminal
The fact is - UA often issues waivers for airports it doesn’t fly its own metal as they can issue tickets there.

Travel Waiver: Typhoon Talim - Japan airports - (15-18 September 2017)
Old Oct 24, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andy2016
Nobody knows WHEN or even IF Agung will erupt. In fact, the seismic activity has been down lately and they thought of reducing the warning level from a 5 to a 4 on the October 22nd deadline. It may be going back to "sleep". (The local government and everyone involved in tourism certainly hoped for it). Unless you had a dive trip planned in Amed or Tulamben, this won't effect you.

Anyone who wants to follow the news this is very up to date: http://www.facebook.com/agungvolcano...30554817200294

From the site:
"As long as the volcanic ashes don't have any impact on Bali's airport, it will not be closed," says airport communications head Arie Ahsannurrohim said. But if the volcano erupts, and the airport is closed, planes will be diverted to other nearby airports. There are seven regional airports, including Lombok to the east, and Solo and Surabaya to the west, on Java island."
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Amazing

was in Bali 2 weeks a go - that volcano has been possibly erupting for over a month now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.