Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:04 am

Advance seat selection, way advance.

Just booked UA flight out of Tokyo to LAX for next September using GPU. Everything went through but I am unable to select seats as there is a note : "! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in." Is that normal since the flight is that far out or is it a restriction due to fare class, it booked into R?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:16 am

I have Chase United card which allows me to see flights I want to book for wife and kids but need to use wife's miles. She doesn't have card and her account doesn't show the flights we need. Can I use her miles to book flights that are only visible to chase card holder (me). I will not be traveling with them. Thanks.

Also, could I use partner miles (Avianca) to book reduced award seats only shown to Chase United card holder?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
I have Chase United card which allows me to see flights I want to book for wife and kids but need to use wife's miles. She doesn't have card and her account doesn't show the flights we need. Can I use her miles to book flights that are only visible to chase card holder (me). I will not be traveling with them. Thanks.

Also, could I use partner miles (Avianca) to book reduced award seats only shown to Chase United card holder?
No to question 1.

Question 2 is technically "no" - however, you have to use Avianca's site to book with Avianca miles.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Just booked UA flight out of Tokyo to LAX for next September using GPU. Everything went through but I am unable to select seats as there is a note : "! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in." Is that normal since the flight is that far out or is it a restriction due to fare class, it booked into R?
It is normal when the schedule first opens up, 11 months ahead, and sometimes other times when equipment is not known. Check again in a few days to a week or so.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: United, British Airways
EWR United Premier Access check in

Hello, I hope someone who travels often via EWR can help me. I have been trying to figure out which level my husband needs to use at Terminal C for international premier access check in (flying business/Polaris to PVG). From things I have read it looks like it may have switched from level 2 to level 3? But very difficult to find up to date info on airport website or from United. I am just hoping to save him some time and not having to schlep his bags up and down levels if it can be avoided.
Many thanks! Kristin
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
No to question 1.

Question 2 is technically "no" - however, you have to use Avianca's site to book with Avianca miles.
not answers I was hoping for but thanks for the information
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM; Marriott Gold Elite; Hyatt Platinum
FT friends... Is there an easy way to check whether a specific travel certificate issued by United has been used? I tried applying it to an itinerary as a "certificate" but it doesn't conform to the given format (6 characters & the site wants 7 or 10).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kristin1878
Hello, I hope someone who travels often via EWR can help me. I have been trying to figure out which level my husband needs to use at Terminal C for international premier access check in (flying business/Polaris to PVG). From things I have read it looks like it may have switched from level 2 to level 3? But very difficult to find up to date info on airport website or from United. I am just hoping to save him some time and not having to schlep his bags up and down levels if it can be avoided.
Many thanks! Kristin
Top floor is where premier checks in - with a separate Polaris/1K check-in. If being dropped off, Premier 1K/Polaris is "earlier" than the rest of Premier.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ualcaptive
FT friends... Is there an easy way to check whether a specific travel certificate issued by United has been used? I tried applying it to an itinerary as a "certificate" but it doesn't conform to the given format (6 characters & the site wants 7 or 10).
TCVA16 is a separate string/drop down.

The PIN is 7 or 10 digits. See image.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topvideo/2014/...nsize=1280px:*
ualcaptive likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by kymiller
Question 1 - United states you have to upgrade each segment separately. Does this mean I have to use a separate GPU for SFO->FRA and FRA->DME even though it is the same outbound flight ?
Correct. SFO-FRA and FRA-DME would be one GPU each.

Question 2 - Is there anyway to see if the upgrade will be immediately confirmed or waitlisted before applying the GPU?
Generally, the GPU will clear if there is I space (partner Business award) available on the LH flight. However, this is not a hard and fast rule.

FYI the SFO->FRA leg both outbound and inbound are "code share" flights and the ticket starts with 016. I know this can make a difference.
You must have the LH flight on the ticket as its native LH flight number, but on any ticket stock. You should be able to call United and ask them to change this in order to apply a GPU.

Remember, there is a minimum fare class requirement of Q (Economy) or E (Premium Economy) for using GPUs on Lufthansa.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Question on upgrading on Lufthansa using a GPU.

SFO->FRA->DME
DME->FRA->SFO

Question 1 - United states you have to upgrade each segment separately. Does this mean I have to use a separate GPU for SFO->FRA and FRA->DME even though it is the same outbound flight ?
Originally Posted by findark
Correct. SFO-FRA and FRA-DME would be one GPU each.
Worth saying that unless your GPUs are literally going to waste otherwise, FRA-DME is a close-to-useless redemption: it's a 3-hour flight in a 320 where "business" is just economy with a blocked middle seat. Save your GPUs for literally any other redemption purpose (even SFO-LAX…).
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by LAX UA 1K
It is normal when the schedule first opens up, 11 months ahead, and sometimes other times when equipment is not known. Check again in a few days to a week or so.
Very helpful, thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sfo789
Worth saying that unless your GPUs are literally going to waste otherwise, FRA-DME is a close-to-useless redemption: it's a 3-hour flight in a 320 where "business" is just economy with a blocked middle seat. Save your GPUs for literally any other redemption purpose (even SFO-LAX…).
And "upgrades" to Eurobiz are pretty common - that is, having the middle empty in Y
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:58 pm

Can someone please help on a question on PQM?

Planning to take a trip on LF code share, operated by United (FRA - EWR, LH7603). The fare class is K on LF. Will I get any PQM for this, as this is operated by United.

Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, 1MM; Marriott Gold Elite; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by rrnet
Can someone please help on a question on PQM?

Planning to take a trip on LF code share, operated by United (FRA - EWR, LH7603). The fare class is K on LF. Will I get any PQM for this, as this is operated by United.

Thanks.
I gather from the flight info that you mean LH (Lufthansa). In that case the answer is yes. I don't think Lao Central (LF) operates that route.

Assuming it's LH the answer is yes. Useful chart here:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/qualify.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.