Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by VaguelyCynical
Am sure this is a repeat question but haven't seen a super recent post about it - all LH award inventory seems to have disappeared from United.com for me.
Just to add a data point, I see LH award inventory on UA's site as usual, so it seems highly unlikely that it is a general IT issue between the two companies' systems. Perhaps LH is in the process of changing award inventory for the specific route you're searching?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by travelpye
I can book 3 of us on an award flight from OGG to DEN. But the last segemnt from DEN to home is not available as a nonstop with miles that day but is available as an inexpensive cash flight. If I book the award flight and then the last segment as a $ flight, would United in OGG let us check bags through to our final destination? Thanks!
I just wanted to thank eveyryone who responded to my question above. I appreciated the advice from each on you on how to maximize the liklihood that we can do this successfully.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:07 am

I flew United yesterday for the first time in years because they were the only one with availability into Orlando. Is it normal that the flight attendants don't check seat belts, items under the seats, and chairs upright before take off? It was completely bizarre to me that during take off the girl next to me was using her backpack as a pillow in her lap, the people in front of me had their chairs reclined, and across the aisle a kid was lying down. Most airlines are really strict about this sort of thing.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Seth Moore
I flew United yesterday for the first time in years because they were the only one with availability into Orlando. Is it normal that the flight attendants don't check seat belts, items under the seats, and chairs upright before take off? It was completely bizarre to me that during take off the girl next to me was using her backpack as a pillow in her lap, the people in front of me had their chairs reclined, and across the aisle a kid was lying down. Most airlines are really strict about this sort of thing.
Flight attendants are supposed to conduct a safety check prior to take off, and all the above items should have been noticed and rectified.

Obviously, some crews are more diligent than others. Sounds like you got a bad crew.

A short note to Customer Care detailing your observations would be appropriate:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by goodeats21
A short note to Customer Care detailing your observations would be appropriate
As is an ASRS report. https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report/electronic.html. Those are normally filed by crew, but passengers can also file them.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
How does determining valid routings differ between award and revenue tickets? Curious why united.com won't allow HNL-US Mainland-SYD on award tickets, but will offer on revenue tickets.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
How does determining valid routings differ between award and revenue tickets? Curious why united.com won't allow HNL-US Mainland-SYD on award tickets, but will offer on revenue tickets.
Routings for award tickets are a black art. They don't have to publish any rules, so they don't. In the specific case of HNL-Mainland-SYD, I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that Hawaii is considered its own award region, and that going to the mainland is backtracking.

Meanwhile, routings for paid fares have to be published, so that travel agents can sell them on United's behalf. Thus, they tend to be much more straightforward. For example, for the cheapest HNL-SYD fare on the dates I checked, you can route HNL-DEN/LAS/LAX/SFO-LAX/SFO-SYD, where '-' is a transfer and '/' is a choice (and transfers are always optional -- this routing allows both HNL-LAX-SFO-SYD and HNL-LAX-SYD).

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsloan
Routings for award tickets are a black art. They don't have to publish any rules, so they don't. In the specific case of HNL-Mainland-SYD, I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the fact that Hawaii is considered its own award region, and that going to the mainland is backtracking.
Thanks. That would make sense. I guess if the backtracking is not a no-go (I have no idea), that connecting in the mainland would be a possible IRROPS option as the only choice solely on UA metal.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Thanks. That would make sense. I guess if the backtracking is not a no-go (I have no idea), that connecting in the mainland would be a possible IRROPS option as the only choice solely on UA metal.
No problem. Yes, I'd imagine that a mainland connection would be a viable IRROPS strategy -- although not the only one; in a day-of-travel IRROPS situation, the carrier that's causing the interruption is responsible to get you to your final destination. However, in a situation where you have a UA ticket and there are viable UA flights to get you to your destination, UA might take care of you out of goodwill, even though it's not their responsibility. (And, if there's a schedule change / cancellation ahead of time, then it is UA's responsibility and I'd think that a mainland connection would be the easiest way to go).
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Not sure if I am posting this in the correct place. I tried to sign up tonight for the United Frequent Flyer plan. I received an email giving me a number, but when I try to use it to sign into the United site it keeps telling me that I have to contact them. I just want to log into their website with the number they just sent.

The website required me to answer three of the five security questions to verify my device, but then it still won't log into their website. Is this normal? Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
... I tried to sign up tonight for the United Frequent Flyer plan. I received an email giving me a number, but when I try to use it to sign into the United site it keeps telling me that I have to contact them. I just want to log into their website with the number they just sent. ...
Give it a few hours to see if the things start to work. Have not heard of reports of delays before being valid but it may cure itself with some time.

If it continues not to work, give the number a call.

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
The website required me to answer three of the five security questions to verify my device, but then it still won't log into their website. Is this normal? Thanks!
The security question setup is standard.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:44 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

The security question setup is standard.
And when you are able to get login to work, you will be offered an option to "remember this device," in which case you will not have to enter answers again on that particular device.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:31 am

Hi, I apologize if this was answered before but I wanted to check before I went ahead and did this. I'm trying to book a one-way flight for my girlfriend to come over from Northeast Asia to the US through the United Mileage Plus portal.

My plan is to use my Chase Transfer Partners and transfer 35K Chase UR points to United to book the one way flight for her.

Heres what I was thinking of doing:
Create a United Mileage Plus account for her and transfer the UR points under her account to make the flight reservation... Would that work? I was originally going to book the reservation for her under my United account but was worried since it was my account, the flight reservation information would auto-fill with my name, address... etc.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mkng07
Hi, I apologize if this was answered before but I wanted to check before I went ahead and did this. I'm trying to book a one-way flight for my girlfriend to come over from Northeast Asia to the US through the United Mileage Plus portal.

My plan is to use my Chase Transfer Partners and transfer 35K Chase UR points to United to book the one way flight for her.

Heres what I was thinking of doing:
Create a United Mileage Plus account for her and transfer the UR points under her account to make the flight reservation... Would that work? I was originally going to book the reservation for her under my United account but was worried since it was my account, the flight reservation information would auto-fill with my name, address... etc.
The flight reservation will not autofill. It will offer you first, but also consider a "new traveler".

If you think she should have her own UA account for other reasons, by all means - but if you have any status, it is best if you book it, since certain fees are waived/reduced if you are Silver or above.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mkng07
Create a United Mileage Plus account for her and transfer the UR points under her account to make the flight reservation...
You won't be allowed by Chase to transfer your points to an account in her name.

And totally unnecessary. Just book the ticket from your account in her name. UA allows that, no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.